1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Affordable options for J-head replacement

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by John in MS, Apr 18, 2016.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No, that old you still have the glass bead style thermistor.
    So you would want the kit @Printed Solid was mentioning with the metal stud version.

Geof likes this.
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Easiest is snap a picture. My r1+ is from the same time. And had the new style hexagon with the cartridge thermistor

3. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

My hotend last until January. 9 or 10 months was pretty good considering my luck with them before. I think it was me printing in very cold garage temps this past weekend. I tried to compensate by using a space heater directly on it.

I was considering last year getting a LITE as starting on previous post. I think I have printed myself in a box.

I will need to print extra parts for the be head which will be impossible with no working head in the machine

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Someone on here will be happy to help print the printed bits for you if you do not have a local MakerSpace to rely on.

Geof likes this.
  5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I know others might disagree, but I see the E3D LITE as an attempt to hit a low price point by copying the copiers. There does not appear to be any advantage to the LITE except lower price than the normal E3D. Which isn't even as low as the Chinese clones it is cloned from.

Just my opinion.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Mike Toole

Mike Toole Member

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Unless someone has tried it (and that is an odd off-brand) I can't imagine we could say :)
    If it is the same size physically as the hexagon then it might be. If it is the same specs as the Hexagon, it might be.
    Unless you are going to use the stock hexagon assume some tweaking will be needed (which may or may not include replacing the quick-release bar like you do for the E3D).

Geof likes this.
  8. Mike Toole

Mike Toole Member

Ok. Thank you. On kind of the same topic, the wire broke off of my thermistor. I would think it is what people are referring to as a “stud” thermistor. I ordered what I thought were stud thermistors and received the glass ball type with the proper plug. Can I use the glass bead type until I find and order the proper stud type?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you have a way to secure it to the heater block, sure.
    kapton tape would work.