1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Another printer (it is a disease, once you start collecting them...)

Discussion in 'Projects' started by mark tomlinson, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

For the 2nd print off...id have to say holy hell my friend! Looks amazing !

Rigmarol likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, in all fairness... there were a lot of failures and hair scattered around the room since Oct. :)
    Although, yea... once we got the hardware sorted and the firmware setup correctly it is pretty much set-it-and-forget-it.

I do like the fact that there is nothing fancy to remember for gcode. A HOME ALL at the start and a HOME ALL at the end does it. The rest is in the firmware and flash eprom.

The built-in OctoPi/Print is also a big plus since you can WiFi to it from anywhere. The camera needs work since it has no lighting with it (most of our others have LEDS/UV built in), but we can get that sorted. It needs external cameras anyway. The one attached to the Pi and the print-arm is cool, but doesn't give enough field of view to be really useful.

I am stoked! We are going to stick it in the corner of the print farm and start cranking out some stuff. My son already has the filament for this (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:911891) -- an entire crate of filament in the correct colors :) All of the larger parts will be done on the delta and the detail stuff on the tiny nozzled Robo. That is a huge model... Oh well, his nickel.

OutsourcedGuru and Rigmarol like this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thats the perfect model for that delta ! You keep adding printers youll end up like me ! Be careful! Lol...now when is the small delta showing up lol

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

When you order it :)

Seriously though if you are going down that road to learn and use them don't go small... bigger really is better

:D

Geof likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can see the attraction of a small one on a desktop as a eye-catcher.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol isnt it always !

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I think itd look good for qhen clients come to chit chat and tour :D

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

bypassed octopint so we could configure rambo to get z offset tweaked in firmware (looks like we really need NO tweak so essentially removed the old one).

As a part of test printing afterward the 1st layer looked great then massive leakage from the heatbreak to the heater block :(

All me I know. I must not have gotten it tight enough....<sigh> disassemble effector and then the E3D, baked the affected parts to get rid of the melted plastic... One broken thermistor cartridge too due to the plastic everywhere making it impossible to remove. Ordered two more of those from @Printed Solid (cheap at least) and finished the bake-off. Will wait on the replacement thermistor to reassmble.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

We have gotten a series of workable prints off of it since tweaking the extruder stepper drive current, adding fans, etc.

We are now down to the fine-tuning for better quality.

I can't suggest this specific delta as a starter printer for anyone and as a second printer only if you are willing to dig into it and fix it.
    Probably, like Robo, there are good ones and bad ones, but their support on the initial problems was disappointing.

Geof likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Key to being a 3D Printer operator and making the machine work!(prime example of what determination can do with these machiens)

:D. You did a great job, and I appreciate the thread for when I buy (or might buy) a similar delta.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Having just figured out how to set the Z offset on this delta which is done using the LCD screen and the little black knob.... it gets stored in firmware... I WILL NEVER HAVE ANY SYMPATHY FOR FOLKS WHO NEED TO EDIT THE STARTUP GCODE BLOCK.

You have to start at Z home and then lower the extruder (by turning that little knob and getting about 1-3 mm per turn -- each "clik" is 0.1mm) until you do the paper leveling on the bed.... That is a metric butt-ton of turns on that knob.... :(

Z origin changed from 900.21 to 900.54 so it did work

#131 mark tomlinson, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  12. Jeff Hamilton

Jeff Hamilton Member

I'm using the Wolfbite in the red bottle for ABS and to tell you the truth it is really hit and miss. I have re-cleaned the bed applied as instructed and heated the bed to 100 degrees and I can't even get the 1st layer to stick. I even releveled the bed and tried again with n o luck. Not sure if this stuff is worth the money.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Lest anyone else dare to stroll down this path:

Delta printer.jpg

Steve0, jim3Dbot and Ryan TeGantvoort like this.
  14. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Much jealous. Many want. /doge

You could probably print a cello fingerboard with that. Damness, that's tall.

15. Pilsnerboy

Pilsnerboy New Member

Fascinating. Delta looks too big of a setup for me.

16. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Just wondering, did you ever load the hangprinter plugin?

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, never used it.