1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Safe to update Octoprint?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jeff Uberstine, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Jeff Uberstine

Is it safe to update Octoprint on their Web UI directly or will it cause major issues?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

It should be, but please note that since Robo has not posted the distribution they used on GITHUB there is simply no telling what they have done to modify any aspects of the default OctoPrtint installation. I do believe they used a build of OctoPi which does not use all the OctoPrint defaults and is a few builds behind the OctoPrint development GITHUB.

Since you are apparently a C2 owner you have every right to ask for all the source used in the C2 and according to the GPL licenses on the parts included Robo has to provide it for you.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sadly I know of no sure way to save the existing state of the OctoPi if it doesn't work (so that you could rollback).
    If you have access to the Pi running it you could backup the SD card.

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Well, I believe there is an actual rPi inside the C2 and OctoPi is running from a µSD card so you could pull the µSD and use something like Windows Win32DiskImager to make a complete copy of the current configuration, then reinsert the µSD and then upgrade all the parts that can be upgraded and see if it still works. If not, just reverse the procedure and rewrite the existing image, no harm, no foul. If it still works, winner, winner, chicken dinner.

5. ammulder

ammulder Member

Oops. Maybe I should have read this before I clicked "update". I sure hope it's safe, because the first time you go in you get a big notification prompting you to update...

6. Jeff Uberstine

7. ammulder

ammulder Member

I haven't really used OctoPrint -- I'm still trying to get the bed level enough for whole-bed prints.

I did push one of the Z offset buttons in OctoPrint, and it unexpectedly seemed to launch into the Z offset wizard (the bed moved way up to the top, etc.). I had hoped it would let me just type in a numeric z-offset value, but it didn't seem to. The next time I started it up my Z offset was set to 10 or something, so I just ran the Z offset wizard from the touch screen.

And since I've updated, I've noticed that I see the text console for like 10 second on boot-up between the ROBO screen and the main printer status screen. Though I've also booted with a USB stick in. Or maybe I just didn't notice before because I wasn't looking at the right moment.

But, for instance, it's not "not printing" so it didn't whack the whole machine. :)

Oh, wait -- I forgot. Before I did the update when I selected a file to print from the touch screen, all the data fields were blank. After the update, when I print the data fields are populated (# layers, layer thickness, estimated print time, etc.). So the update seems to have done something positive, at least.

EDIT: I'm noticing more stuff now. Firmware upgrade wizard. Print tuning utility.

#7 ammulder, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The rPi running the latest version of Jessie cannot disable the first few text lines during boot before displaying the splashscreen. I wouldn't worry about it.

9. ammulder

ammulder Member

Some down sides I've noticed (though I'm not sure whether they were there before):
    • The Utilities / Update screen shows a RoboOS update available (have 1.0.3, available 1.1.0). But clicking the Update button locks up the machine, requiring a power cycle via switch on the back.
    • In OctoPrint, if I select a tool under Control / Tool / Select Tool, it doesn't stay selected in the drop-down. So it looked like nothing happened. But in the printer console, it seems to emit something so I think it worked.
    • In OctoPrint, under Settings / Firmware Updater, it cannot manage to load the existing firmware version from the printer ("Unable to get printer's data")

10. Jeff Uberstine

Seems to me that this is the only safe way to update but have not tried it yet @ammulder. If I got to updates in Utilities / Update, I just get an error. Seems like their Robo LCD 1.3 fixes that issue:

Improvements
    • Update Firmware from the Screen
    My only concern is octoprint itself. Is there a way top update the lcd plugin without bulk updating everything? I can't find a way to update just that.

11. Jeff Uberstine

Screw it, i'm just going to bulk update it all. Seems like the right move here. If not, I'm sure robo can get me sorted.

12. Jeff Uberstine

After that update, you robo found firmware 1.1.1 and was able to update to it without issue.

IMG_0313.JPG

13. ammulder

ammulder Member

Crap. Mine won't do that. I've done all the updates in OctoPrint -- I tried telling it to look for updates and it said all up to date. But the touch screen update version is stuck on 1.0.3 and like I said freezes if I try to update. Aargh.

14. Jeff Uberstine

Could it be this?

1.3.1 (2017-2-4)
    Bug Fixes
    • Fixed issue where updating through the webapp would break future upgrades

15. ammulder

ammulder Member

I'm not sure what that's the version of -- I have OctoPrint 1.3.1 and RoboLCD 1.3.0 (and RoboOS 1.0.3)

16. Jeff Uberstine

That was a change log from the Robo LCD 1.3.1. That said, it looks like 1.3.1 is still in beta but I didn't have any issues with the update.

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Just curious, what is included in RoboOS, since the bulk seems to be OctoPrint and RoboLCD?

18. Jeff Uberstine

That seems To be about it. It's just base software and bundled plugins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ammulder

ammulder Member

So, how did you manage to install RoboLCD 1.3.1? Because OctoPrint tells me there are no updates available. I would be happy to manually install RoboLCD 1.3.1 or whatever.

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

DO NOT DO THIS!

If 1.3.1 is their current GIT you can force the installation by going to OctoPrint Settings >> Plugin Manager >>Get More ... >> ... from URL then putting this line in the Enter URL... box
    Code:
    https://github.com/Robo3D/OctoPrint-robotheme/archive/master.zip

But I don't think that is the current version, and there seems to be a bug that breaks 1.3.1 of OctoPrint. If it is just 1.3.1 of OctoPrint you are asking about, then there would be different instructions that you could do via SSH to force an upgrade.