1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ROBO C2 Nothing But Problems

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Markmess, Jan 24, 2017.

?

What does the community think I should do?

Poll closed Jan 24, 2018.
  1. Leave ROBO and keep opinion to myself

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Leave ROBO and leave truthful feedback about 1/15 of their products not working (that I know of)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Give them a chance to right the wrong

66.7%
  4. Demand a full refund and product fix

16.7%
  5. Get pissed. Report the experience everywhere I can and still get all my money back from Best Buy

16.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markmess

Markmess New Member

image.jpg Through Best Buy (zero percent financing for 12 months) I purchased the ROBO C2 model. As excited as I could be to get this up and running I quickly was let down. The touch screen did not work. I only was getting a flickering screen between blue and white.

I called ROBO customer support. Although friendly they couldn't help at Teir one. I took it back to Best Buy and returned asap and requested overnight delivery again of the same product. ROBO tier one support mentioned only 30 C2 models were out for purchase and they all worked before shipment. They said it had to have been the carrier that messed up the screen.

Moving forward to today. I just received the nreplacement ROBO C2 and have it opened unwrapped plugged in pearl white filament installed and then guess what...!!!

The extruded cannot load the filament because the "Main Board Not Detected Try To Reconnect"

The 24 hour customer support is worthless they have to put in a ticket for tier 2 for anything that may require troubleshooting. I cannot return to Best Buy again because I am in Dalton Ga and need this product for work four days ago. I do not think I will stay with ROBO. I will only stay and. Or speak poorly of the company if they take care of this enormous inconvenience and let down. I have not embellished any facts above. I have been more than fair to ROBO with this comment. I have used XYZ and that printer is out of box ready with a nice PLA print at 100 microns. It's not the best for filament choice but with the ease of use I may go back. I wanted to get 20 microns but looks like this product is a bust.

Note to ROBO:
    You have my email contact via this membership. Contact me if you would like to be a good company and show that you care about your customers. I will post again as a follow up to show the users of this site/thread your professionalism and how you handle these two inconveniences and in my opinion as of right now. Worthless products.

Mark M.
    Atlanta, GA

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Robo staff do not frequent this forum so your message is heard by us, other owners :)
    We can sympathize, but not really assist.

I would suggest calling them and giving them a chance to fix it, but returning it is always a good option too -- the printer should work when you get it.

Further, very few other users on here even have access to a C2 (most of us are using the R1/R1+ or older models). We are happy to try and come up with ways to assist you, but this is a new machine and you need to get them to take care of it.

jim3Dbot and Geof like this.
  3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Markmess No one here can tell you how to respond to Robo. Some people have just had bad experiences (some with multiple printers) and others have had good experiences, while most are somewhere in the middle. But if you do decide to return it and rid yourself of a potential headache, outline your experiences as emotionless as possible and then there really isn't much more you can say. All the people on this forum are users of Robo printers just like you. We want to be helpful, but we don't work for Robo nor do we have any inside track on getting things resolved.

Also most people buying a Robo, honestly won't see you issues since they join things like this forum after they purchase their printers.

jim3Dbot, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm sorry I cannot offer any assistance with the machine either, I have no experience with a C2(havent seen one in person), but completely agree with both gentlemen above. Hopefully Robo employees will see this thread and be on to help out to the best of their ability.

5. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi @Markmess , reconnecting to the mother board isnt typical but you will need to reestablish connection from time to time. The connection between onboard computer (Raspi) and the mother board is easily reestablished with that one button click.

Has that worked for you yet? Let me know if you are still having trouble.

Geof likes this.
  6. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I voted for the last option because it made me laugh.

In all seriousness, if you bought it from Best Buy keep returning it until you get one that works out of the box as advertised. There is no excuse for a printer that has a critical hardware failure where the components are not communicating with each other within the same machine.

Dealing directly with Robo3D (or Robo or whatever they may change their name to when the R2 comes out) has historically been a massive headache for anybody that has been spoiled by the return/support policies of much larger companies.

Also this thread is in the wrong sub-forum altogether.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I figured it qualified for show-n-tell, even if not a "WIN"

Geof likes this.
  8. leggers

leggers New Member

Hi Mark

It is Ryan, the Managing Director of Robo 3D.

Thank you for your purchase of the Robo C2 printer from Best Buy. I apologise for the experience you have had to date, it is certainly not acceptable and something we will rectify. We pride ourselves on providing easy to use products supported by professional customer service and engagement with our users.

I will arrange for customer service to contact you immediately and rectify your issues.

Cheers
    Ryan

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

leggers likes this.
  10. Jeff Uberstine

Hey Mark. That is a real bummer :(. My C2 has been nothing but flawless but I bought it from amazon. Is there handle chance that the issue might be due to how Best Buy handles packages / ships them. Mine shipped in a bigger box that covered the brown robo box. While I likely can't help you solve it being broken like this if you need anything else that is more minor I'd be happy to lend insight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geof likes this.
  11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Jeff Uberstine, this isn't a BestBuy issue, plus they have a great return policy, as long as you don't wait too long. There are BBs all over the place and the ability to just walk in your neighborhood BB and talk to a real human being (note I just said HUMAN, that is no indication with regard to their competence) is generally good. Plus no lugging the thing to the Post Office during business hours. I am glad to see some of the Robo employees reach out to @Markmess, obviously there are a few QC kinks that still need ironing out.

Geof likes this.
  12. Jeff Uberstine

I just brought up BB because virtually every time I have something large and heavy shipped from them, it arrives damaged. Note, this means shipped from their DC and not picked up in their stores. Most of the time BB also ships with On-Track, at least here in Southern California, and they are about as bad as it gets when you talk about a delivery provider.That said, any time i've had an item shipped to their store for pickup, i've had no issues. Given the 10+ issues i've had with their BBs poor packaging, / on-tracks handling of packages, I normally buy things from Amazon and have had no issues. That said, there is also a good chance its a QC issue and that needs to be resolved by Robo.

Hopefully Robo can work this out for you because I love my C2 printer and it's the best 3d printer i've had so far, and I've had several. Robo, please help mark out :)

13. daniel871

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around why someone is going to the manufacturer of a thing if you buy said thing at a big storefront instead of going to said storefront.

You wouldn't complain to Sony about a faulty PS4. Go back to the store and exchange the faulty product until you get one that works!

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes I would :)
    But you are correct that retail purchases should first be handled through the retail merchant.

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

3d printing means you will need to work on the machine, regardless brand new or 6 months old. Better to learn now through the manufacturer than go to best buy and demand a new one....especially considering it may be something as small as a loose connection that will take 5 minutes that jarred loose during shipping (or as @Jerry RoBo 3D asked above, a button that may need pushed)

even 3K machines have problems out of the box from time to time (speaking from experience)...but then again I'm more a I'll fix it type of person than a complainer.

16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I agree mostly, but there are some items that the manufacturer wants you to specifically deal with them directly rather than taking it back to the retailer. Robo isn't one of those, but they do exist.

Geof likes this.
  17. daniel871

This mentality needs to change, mostly because it simply is not true. Maintenance of a machine is one thing, but any brand new machine that is marketed as a turnkey product where you take it out of the box, set it up and start using it should be returned and replaced until you actually get one that delivers on that promise.

Listening to bad advice like "Give Robo3D a chance to make it right" is a good way to run out the clock on the warranty.

jim3Dbot and WheresWaldo like this.
  18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

lol I suppose if thats the way you want to go about it theres nothing wrong with that. Running out warranty in my experience with them isn't a thing. They did a great job including giving me free parts after my warranty, and most I talk to had a good experience if they were willing to work as a team.

Even my ultimaker 2extended+ came in needing a bit of love....sigma the same way...gmax...same....

Whats the point if you are just going to ship back and forth...thats not a good way to establish a working relationship with the company you buy from...and they tend to take better care of people that are willing to work with them vs people that demand things :D

edit: the only machines I've gotten that came in with zero issues are 3d print systems like the zortraxs I bought, but they arnt for hobbyists like Robos and the like are, zero controls.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Geof, this is more related to perception and marketing. You and I both know that there is no such thing as a plug and play 3D printer. As a matter of fact, we both know that a 3D printer has as much in common with a Printer as a washing machine has to a rock in a river. If you are going to market something as plug and play then it damn well better be plug and play. Not everyone has the luxury or patience of a saint required to make something work that should work straight out of the box.

It doesn't really matter that you had to tweak your $3500 UM2EX as Ultimaker doesn't say it is a plug and play printer. They also don't tell you that 'If you imagine it you can print it! There is absolutely no reason to build any kind of 'relationship' with any company when their product does not work as advertised. Unless they have a monopoly you don't need them, they need you!

In this scenario I agree with @daniel871, if it doesn't work and you must have a Robo, take it back until you get one that works as advertised. There is no reason to 'Give them a chance.' There are so many other choices where we can choose to spend our money. I am surprised at your response, especially since you have said those exact words I stated in the previous sentence.

Geof likes this.
  20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes I completely agree :D. But if you dont give them a chance to help you, how can they make it right. No it shouldn't say plug and print :D, no the imagination thing is nuts...but all advertisements are a lie lol. we know that.

Yes he can continue to take it back...but then you have the same risk of another machine being bunk. Why not just fix the one you've got ya know? Having a relationship with someone at Robo where they know you are not pissy but need help it will be responded better to in my opinion than being a jerk lol. Chances are yes they'll recommend you take it back if your uncomfortable and I'm sure they'll do something to make it right for you.

Yes....lol but where you choose to spend the money is what ya got to work with, or return and look elsewhere....or just fix the issue and move on to happy printing until the next need of repair and troubleshooting :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.