1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How to Update and Edit Robo firmware with Arduino

Discussion in 'Software' started by Inspector General Snogget, Apr 22, 2015.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you need ABS material properties for some reason then do yourself a favor and look at alternatives since there are many filaments with superior qualities across the board that are far easier to print on the open bay design.

2. Dave Telling

Dave Telling New Member

Mark, I did the edits the article discussed. That seemed to allow the compilation to proceed. However, I still get warnings about X_Max, Y_MAX, and Z_MAX pins being re-defined, and this occurs multiple (more than 10) times during compilation. Is that something to be concerned about?

3. Dave Telling

Dave Telling New Member

Here is an example of the warning:
    In file included from C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_753685\sketch\Marlin.h:23:0,

from C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_753685\sketch\watchdog.cpp:1:

C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_753685\sketch\pins.h:2566:0: warning: "Z_MAX_PIN" redefined

#define Z_MAX_PIN -1

In file included from C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_753685\sketch\Marlin.h:23:0,

from C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_753685\sketch\watchdog.cpp:1:

C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_753685\sketch\pins.h:457:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define Z_MAX_PIN 19

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ignore warnings.

Essentially the Robo modified and provided flavor of Marlin is ... old.
    It will have issues if you use a compiler newer than 1.0

It will still work with the warnings or if you manage to use an old compiler :)

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There is one feature in V2 that exists in V1 but Robo, just renamed and called it a new feature. If you have an SD card reader attached (which the Robo does) and you insert an SD card that has a specifically named file in the root and then turn your printer on it will print it with no intervention. So here is the difference V1 uses the default filename, V2 renamed the file to autorobo.gco (IIRC).

The Robo as well as many other printers based on the same or similar electronics uses firmware to control the printer. All of them are using firmware that is a direct port of Marlin. Some have kept up with newer versions of Marlin, Robo has not, and all their firmwares for the various R1 printers are based on Marlin 1.0.0 no matter what Robo names or numbers them.

The error you are getting is a warning message only, it still compiles.

But the question still remains, why are you updating the firmware?

6. Dave Telling

Dave Telling New Member

I'd like to be able to modify parameters if necessary, specifically max temps for the bed when printing ABS. I know, I know - I shouldn't be using ABS, but I have a full spool, and I want to figure out how to use it on this printer.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can use it.
    I went through a dozen spools or more in the first year.

Just understand you WILL need to tweak things to get workable prints and there are some details on the resulting print that you may just have to deal with.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

There is nothing in the new firmware that will enable ABS printing that wasn't in the older version. You only need about 240°C extruder temps to get ABS to flow and at most 100°C bed temps to stick with ABS slurry or hairspray to a lesser extent. Both of those are capable in the original firmware.

If you really want to upgrade your firmware because you are looking for something better, then look at the Marlin 1.1.0 Release Candidate 8. It is much more robust than Marlin 1.0.0 and there is a very large thread on it in the Mods sub-forum.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If we do mean (and I assume we do from the things discussed) the R1+ I agree. There were a couple of versions of their firmware that went out with lower than expected MAX TEMP settings for the bed. The R1+ should already have a fairly high MAX TEMP for the bed (over 100c)

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

R1+Plus has a firmware enabled maximum bed temperature of 110°C in all versions.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. Dave Telling

Dave Telling New Member

I'd say that is an understatement! :D

12. Dave Telling

Dave Telling New Member

Mine shut down printing with an over temp error when I set the bed temp to 110C. I don't know how old the printer is, I got it from a relative. Perhaps earlier firmware?

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Very possible, like I said one of the R1 models had a temperature limit of 85c ...
    this happened after they had one with a bed fire.

The reality is that if you are careful and sanity check or rewire the bed you can do 115c before you run out of power from the power supply... If you switch to an A/C bed heater and use a relay from the RAMPS you can get beds that heat in mere moments.

14. Dave Telling

Dave Telling New Member

At this point, I'm going back to PLA for some projects. I'm frankly disappointed by the Robo website that says that ABS can be printed, but gives no advice as to how to configure the machine to do that, especially if it is so difficult to do. I would expect some kind of information or suggested settings for ABS to be easily found, but mostly what I find is, "Don't print with ABS! Use xxxx instead, it's way better!" where xxxx is some other plastic formulation. The one thing that DOES seem to be constant is use an enclosure and turn off the fan. So, is that the fan that is shown in the "CONTROLS" tab, or what is controlled by the "Fan Speed" in Settings/Cooling?

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Parts cooling fan is the one you want turned off. Should be listed that way in the slicer settings. I don't use mattercontrol so someone else can chime in on that.

Yes, it is too bad that they push ABS rather than the multitude of other plastics and copolymers that are out there. The only advantage ABS has is possibly cost. There are no material properties for ABS that make it a win over the alternatives. @Geof can attest to how much easier ABS is with the right printer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Geof likes this.
  16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

100% agree. There are ABS machines...and then ones that can try. I have alot of machines and only 1 kind can run ABS. Sadly our robos just shouldnt try

mark tomlinson likes this.
  17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

You can't actually set it to the MAX since there is not fine enough control and the default is full-on/full-off for heating the bed. So it tends to overshoot the temp sometimes by a lot then it drops by a lot. It was the easiest way and the cheapest for the people that freely gave of their time and work to create the RAMPS board and Marlin Firmware.

Besides if you are using the stock heater, not only will it take forever to get to 110°C, I wouldn't try to drive that heater at that temperature for anything more than a few small prints.

Does it do the same thing if you only set it to 100°C?

Also, don't blame Robo for pushing ABS, every other printer with a heated bed does it too. Besides ABS is probably the best known and most widely used plastic in the world. Everyone knows just how strong a LEGO brick is and they all expect their 3D prints to look, feel, wear just like that.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Wait...they dont ? ;)

19. Woodrow Collins

Woodrow Collins New Member

Does anyone have the firmware available? The ardruino in my r1 plus overheated and now my feeder isnt working, the motor is working if i move it to another motor control din and i get the same behavior out of 2 ramps boards :(

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member