1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ROBO C2 Nothing But Problems

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Markmess, Jan 24, 2017.

?

What does the community think I should do?

Poll closed Jan 24, 2018.
  1. Leave ROBO and keep opinion to myself

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Leave ROBO and leave truthful feedback about 1/15 of their products not working (that I know of)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Give them a chance to right the wrong

66.7%
  4. Demand a full refund and product fix

16.7%
  5. Get pissed. Report the experience everywhere I can and still get all my money back from Best Buy

16.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

This complaint doesn't really apply when you're dealing with a retailer like Best Buy, or even in many cases with Amazon.com.

For Best Buy, take it to the store and get it swapped. For Amazon, file a complaint on the order and 9 times out of 10 Amazon will send you a paid shipping label to return it and send you a replacement the same day you file the complaint. Same story with Monoprice.com for those that have bought some of their rebranded 3d printers.

Geof, WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Unless I know exactly what I am getting into, I try to buy from BestBuy or Amazon or Newegg. I know how they handle customers. On the other hand, I spend a large amount of hobby money at Internet-only retialers. I expect little to no support and I am never disappointed and often surprised. Still marketing drives the world and you simply can't accuse them all of telling lies (@ you @Geof) . Right on Robo's front page look at this quote.
    Are you saying out loud that they are liars.

If you bought something from a retailer and they told you it will work out of the box, wouldn't you expect it to work out of the box? Of course you would! So why is something like this 3D printer any different. Your desire to have a relationship and giving them a chance is skewed by your affinity for the tech. You and I and @daniel871 and @mark tomlinson are in the 1% of users called enthusiasts. Most everyone else is in the just the consumer category. Consumers don't think like us, you say a radio plays music and if all they get is static, they don't care if it just takes a soldering iron and 1 minute to fix it, they are going to return it for something that works and rightfully so.

If I didn't come from a Mechanical and Computer background, I might also become frustrated with the entire hobby. I know I certainly wouldn't have spent the time, for example, that @mark tomlinson spent on that delta, and I wouldn't expect any other consumer to either.

On a side note, here is where there is an outright lie on the webpage. I say lie because it has been brought up before and the Robo simply can't do what is shown in the picture. There is a link in the What can I print page that shows a Bamboo cutting board bought from Bed Bath and Beyond, that shows personalization done by a laser engraver, the Thingiverse link even says he used an Epilog Laser Mini.

One day I'll tell you about my experiences with a computer and having to reseat chips in their sockets every time it was moved. I should have just returned it but I didn't.

#22 WheresWaldo, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    jim3Dbot, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have been called "dumber than a sack of hammers", but that is a new one :)
    I like enthusiast better.

Darn, you rolled me back into category 1 again :)

jim3Dbot, Geof and WheresWaldo like this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

We have discussed before how Robo is trying to position and reach a consumer market with their printers.
    The R1+ is the first one that (nearly) qualifies and even then it is a stretch because like all other current FDM printers anywhere in that ballpark the pug-n-play part depends on who shipped it and who plugged it in. The R2/C2 look to be a step further down this road, but honestly the technology is not ready to be called plug-n-play yet.

However, there is "marketing" and then there is "reality" :)

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@WheresWaldo fair enough my friend :D. I do need to remember not all do this as a buisness and it IS sold working just like the radio example, sad part is the tech just isnt there in my opinion...but yes... lol

That said...i am "that guy" that will take out the soldering iron or reseat or repair or replace the bad chips, reprogram them etc but i as you come from a mechanical and electrical field where this is buisness as usual lol

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

All I was trying to say, is to take into account that some will tinker and others won't or can't and to expect them to is not reasonable of us.

By the way, I didn't actually answer the poll question as I thought all the choices were put there out of frustration and none applied in the real world. We do things to make ourselves feel better, some of us buy stuff and want it working with little to no effort, others of us would rather constantly hit ourselves over the head with a hammer. If @Markmess will feel better by returning it, there is absolutely no reason not to, no matter what any of us say.

I am done ranting in this thread, it was an interesting philosophical discussion that I was in dire need of today.
    :);):D:oops:

Geof likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ive enjoyed it myself lol :D:)

8. JOAQUIN PICCI

JOAQUIN PICCI Member

robo staff ALWAYS solve problems. They sent me r1 HEATED BED 3 TIMES !!
    The first two were retained by customs of my country ! Stop crying, use the robo support that is amazing.. they never charged me money

#28 JOAQUIN PICCI, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Wouldn't it be cool if Robo were to hire me to fly all over the place to fix stuff like this? :laugh:

10. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I worked for Radio Shack for four years part-time and one year as a store manager. You'd be amazed at what people would bring back in and further amazed that Radio Shack would take it back for a full refund. Granted, their prices are marked up a fair bit and they're kind of going out of business now, at least here in San Diego. They can't compete with the global economy, to be honest.

Robo should consider offering a point-of-sale "no questions asked warranty" upgrade of 10% of the purchase price, perhaps. If you're cheap/stubborn like me, you'd work through your own issues.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

RadioShack (as a part of Tandy Corp.) is dead. Some local franchises kept the name and stayed open.

Geof likes this.
  12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Stop resurrected old outdated threads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.