1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Weird ripple on some corners of print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mamejay, Feb 4, 2017.

1. mamejay

mamejay Member

Hi everyone,
    I have an issue on some corners of my prints when I am printing square objects.
    Its like a ripple effect. Has any seen this before? Have attached a picture for your enjoyment.
    I am using a Robo3d R+
    I have add some corners have this ripple half way up the print then for the remaining half it is smooth.
    This is using different slicers so I don't think its software related. I suspect it something to do with the stability during movement of the print head.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Perry Genovese

what if you turn your print 90 degrees.....where does that ripple go? Might help you pinpoint which axis is the issue but yeah I have had it as well. sometimes tightening up belts can help. Speeds help too. If thats where the layers are starting and stopping lower speeds may reduce it. A lot of it is going to be tinkering to be honest.

3. mamejay

mamejay Member

I have read about changing the acceleration settings in firmware. When I check there are 2 firmware settings for it.
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,10000} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 1300 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves /robo

I cannot find an exact definition of what value is good and if I just change Default_acceleration of Default_max_acceleration

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Testing is really required if you want perfect numbers, but everyone has their own :)
    I use a LOT less than that on mine. A factor of ten less...

5. mamejay

mamejay Member

Thanks for that. So what is the difference between Default_MAX and Default for Acceleration settings? Would I change both settings?

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

default is what it defaults to normally and default max is what get used if MAX acceleration is requested.

This is all customizing to suit your printer. SO you have to evaluate what works best. I would say start with default and see where you go.

Perry Genovese likes this.