1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved broken bed fix?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by gunsmoke132, Feb 9, 2017.

1. gunsmoke132

gunsmoke132 Member

recently my robo 3d experienced another chip in the bed. nothing fell on it, it just chipped during a print. this is the second one and this one is huge in the q3 section a little smaller than one-fourth of the total area. so I have 2 now one dead in the center about the size of a 50 cent coin and the other bigger than an iPhone plus. I can't get it under warranty because somehow the first one wasn't covered and its past 10 months at the time of the second. last I checked they stopped selling replacement beds. I'm not paying $76 for borosilicate plate. can I use acrylic plexiglass or is that a no-go? can I use a sheet of metal secured to the bed for now? IDK what to do and I'm really frustrated with this damn thing.

2. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

There are a few threads here that talk about using aluminum for their beds and they seem to be happy with it.

I'm curious, I chipped mine when I tried to remove the model right after it stopped printing, no cool down at all. Was yours similar or not?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Get a sheet of plain glass from the hardware store* and use binder clips to put it over the bed.
    Or replace the bed with aluminum or PEI :)

*it can be as thin as you want -- 1/8" is fine

4. gunsmoke132

gunsmoke132 Member

the first one I believe was due to the auto leveling feature of the printer the second time it happened exactly how you described

5. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Ok, good to know. I'd be very interested if others who chipped their beds may have pulled there work off right after it finished without a cool down period. I hope we hear from others.

6. Spidematt

Spidematt Member

mine got chipped but I had robo waranty . but I got the new one in and im afraid to use it I filled in the chips with a glue stick and so far havent had any issues im going to try using some epoxy next time i clean the glass bed see if that is more of a permenant fix . I was also curious to know if anyone has tried any of the heat beds on amazon such as
    https://www.amazon.com/3D-300x200mm...F8&qid=1486772762&sr=1-20&keywords=heated+bed
    you would think you could get them to work somehow

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Spidematt , that link to the bed is too small, you need something that is more like 375 x 250 mm if you are trying to mount it in the original spots of the moving Y Axis frame. Unless you have a custom one built you won't find one in the proper size for the Robo.

8. Spidematt

Spidematt Member

well i was thinking of mounting the rods to the frame to have less moving parts and also make it more solid

9. Perry Genovese

don't use plastic....you might bury the nozzle in it if its hot during leveling routine. I have fixed chips using windshield repair kit from autozone which is made for chips in glass. Thing is it only cures under UV so you have to take your printer outside and let it sit in the sun for 30 minutes. Temp doesn't matter. I just got another chip yesterday and will be repariing it today the same way. havenl;t had a failure yet.

Geof and Rigmarol like this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Great idea @Perry Genovese , but I think a sheet of glass may be cheaper ;)

11. Perry Genovese

probably but then you have all the sharp edges to deal with :) The kit is $13 I think and there's enough resin in there for multiple repairs.

Geof likes this.
  12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sharp edges ? 2 dollar glass cutter and a little love and you get nice rounded edges :)

Good to know about the kit being more than one time use ! Thank you!