1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Failed Overhang

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by spankurmonkey, Feb 16, 2017.

1. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

Looking for some guidance on a print job. I finished my printing of the MPCNC parts from Thingiverse.

I have found the J rollers are printing the overhang undesirably.

I have asked the folks on the Facebook Vicious1 page about printing with support and they have indicated that supports are not required.

I printed these using Inland PLA Black - I printed at 210c/40c and at 45mm/sec. Layer height of .26

If you look at the photos one printed better than the other - I am sure I can still use the part but it just bugs me that I have this issue and new to 3D printing and not sure what this is called and how to go about troubleshooting it.

Attached Files:

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Try setting parameters to increase speed when printing overhangs, that can help stretch the filament tighter, also blipping the fans to 100% on overhangs can help too. In S3D fan speed for bridges is in the Cooling >> Fan Overrides >> Bridging fan speed override and speed is in Other >> Bridging >> Bridging speed multiplier.

3. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

I have my fan going to 100% at the 2nd layer and as far as bridging these are the settings:

Unsupported area threshold 50.0 sq mm
    Extra Inflation distance 0.00 mm
    Bridging Extrusion Multiplier 95%
    Bridging speed multiplier 100%

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Okay??? but that is the issue, you need to change some of these as I listed above. Obviously your fan can't go faster than 100% but your speed can increase.

5. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

Good. but not sure which

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Hey Spanky, I specified which ones to change. It will be a combination of stuff that will perfect bridging not one specific thing.

One more thing, if your extrusion width is too small it can also affect overhangs, try moving it from the automatic setting and try something like 120%-140% of the nozzle diameter.

Geof likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

8. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

Where is this made ??

One more thing, if your extrusion width is too small it can also affect overhangs, try moving it from the automatic setting and try something like 120%-140% of the nozzle diameter.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

where is what made?

10. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

OMG>... One more thing, if your extrusion width is too small it can also affect overhangs, try moving it from the automatic setting and try something like 120%-140% of the nozzle diameter.

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There are many, many (think I forgot to mention "many") inter-related settings in the slicers. This is why there is no one "recipe" for how to get good prints. It all hinges on the printer and the environment it is printing in too.

Geof likes this.
  12. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

OK. I give up.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nah. Wrong answer :)

You need to experiment to find what recipe works for you. There are a lot of things to try and tweak.

These visual guides are handy and since in your case overhangs are the big deal (I assume) then that is what you want to look into.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/
    http://reprap.org/wiki/Print_Troubleshooting_Pictorial_Guide
    http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide

What can be even more of an annoyance is that in some cases the filament matters. The Robos are pretty fortunate in that regard since they seem to eat just about any filament. Sure, some really BAD filament performs worse, but not complete failure "worse" Other printers can be far more picky.

Geof likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You may want to investigate a fan duct if you are not using one already since ducted fans direct the air more directly at the area you just printed. A better fan might also be an option since the ones the Robo uses are not terrific.

Geof likes this.
  15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Hey Spanky maybe 3D printing isn't for you! :D

Very first screen in Profile has Extrusion width, It will be as plain as the nose on your face, unless of course you look like your LEGO avatar then there is no nose. :D

On first screen of Edit Process Settings are two radio buttons next to Extrusion Width, one is Automatic, the other is Manual with an edit box next to it. But if you are looking for a single slicer item that will fix your issue with overhangs please don't hold your breath. Maybe in a few years if you want to wait for slicer technology to be supplied by the likes of HP or Microsoft or someone with the development resources that are bigger than S3D.

16. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

There is no magic "FIX" button just yet.
    3D printing is still a "Tinkerers" hobby.
    If a person has multiple 3D printers it means they have figured out what works and what doesn't and are THE PEOPLE to listen to when they speak (post).

We will one day probably be able to say "Tea, Earl Grey, Hot, Bone China cup" and get what we want but we are a long way from there today.

Giving up is for the weak, be strong!, be tough, be determined!!!! You have a great team of people willing to assist FOR FREE!!! Life just doesn't get much better LOL.

Seriously, don't give up, the guys will get you through this, I've seen them help dozens and the ending is almost always a happy one.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

spanky are you using one cooling fan or two? Pla? Two cooling fans makes a HUGE difference in PLA quality. and its a cheap and easy upgrade. I think the fan and jst connectors might cost around 12 bucks.

18. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

Yes, I have a cooling fan. Cooling goes to 100% after 1st layer. I have a wrap around fan duct. I am merely only have issues with the overhang. I just printed a part for a new printer I bought ( CR-10 ) and there is an overhang on it. I made some setting changes and its slightly better but still not smooth like a rounded or vertical plane.

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm personally not a fan of the 360 ducts, I prefer 2 good strong fans. Overhang issues can typically be addressed by tweaking speed, heat and cooling. Maybe a picture of your failed overhand ?

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you did not convert the fan from the stock you are not getting much cooling with a duct (even less with that style since the air has to "work" more). A simple directed duct is best for the (rather wimpy) stock fan. If you do replace it with one that moves more air then that alternative is fine. I think that duct may be part of your problem :)

Geof likes this.