1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First Project with Robo-C2 - 1911 Grips

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by JohnShuba, Mar 6, 2017.

1. JohnShuba

JohnShuba New Member

Here is my first project with the Robo-C2. Made some grips for my custom RIA compact 1911. The grips are my own design. Created with my company’s software Siemens NX 11. I did some hand clean up; did not take much effort they printed out very clean. I exported out the binary STL files with very high tolerances.

I am happy with the results.[​IMG] :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Measurment in MM
    [​IMG]

Shows STL faceted output
    [​IMG]

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Excellent work. Size-wise those are perfect for that printer.
    I am finding more and more stuff that I want better detail on and printing it up :)

Geof and JohnShuba like this.
  3. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Very nice. Willing to share?

4. JohnShuba

JohnShuba New Member

Thanks for your interest in these gip but at this time Im keeping them in my vault.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Rigmarol shoot me a pm I'll walk you through how to do it in fusion

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. JohnShuba

JohnShuba New Member

I changed my mind, I would hate to have you recreate them. These grips fit a compact 1911 RIA, with a magazine guide/weld installed, they could be streched to fit a standard government 1911. Please PM me with your email and I can send you the left and right grips stl files. They are to large to upload about 6.5 MB each. If you like anothe format like stp or igs i can provide those as well.

#6 JohnShuba, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@JohnShuba Thats very kind of you, thank you.

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

stp (better) or igs (not as good) would allow @Rigmarol to import them as solid models into his CAD program of choice (which I believe is Fusion 360) the stl (okay) if all he wants to do is print them out.

9. Quest

Quest Member

Those look really nice. I like them.
    What material did you print them with?

10. JohnShuba

JohnShuba New Member

PLA

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Those are flat enough that they would print with SemiFlex for sure and possibly full-on NinjaFlex :)

JohnShuba likes this.
  12. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I think I will pass.
    I wanted to just print them out but understand your reluctance.
    I also am interested in using fusion360 but haven't taken the time to learn it yet. I have it installed but just haven't gotten to it.
    When I'm ready I'll probably just make my own.

Thanks.

Geof and JohnShuba like this.
  13. Terreos

Terreos New Member

Nice. Can make a lot of fun things with this printer can't we?

14. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

@Rigamarol Get to it! ha (They hide all the file stuff and demos/tutorials in that icon that's in the upper-left of the top menu.) Just run through all the demos and you should have a feel for it. My personal suggestion is to remember to hit the ESC key once after you've done something or the editor will think that you're still trying to do that. Case in point, you're making a new rectangle and finish that. Press ESC so that it will get out of that mode. Otherwise, you're next click (trying to select something) will try to start making another rectangle. I find that really annoying, having worked with other software.

Second, when I click on a face and choose to start a new sketch on that face... I really don't want Autodesk to help me by spinning it around and changing the zoom/pan to the origin. I just positioned everything in the orientation, zoom and pan that I needed. So learn how to grab the corner of the upper-right cube in order to orient things the way you want. And this is expecially necessary after pulling/cutting to verify that you're headed in the right direction.

@JohnShuba Nicely done! And I'm loving the screws you found for that. The black PLA really matches up nicely there.

I'd like to work up a design to mount on the Picatinny rail up front; I'm doing a blu-ray laser mod rebuild on my Glock (but I have the full-sized 19).

15. JimBen

JimBen New Member

16. JimBen

JimBen New Member

Hay JohnShuba... I was reading your post about the grips fit a compact 1911 RIA, and I'm Really impressed with what you have done with the grips for the RIA 1911 Compact. I have a RIA 1911 Compact also and I have been looking every where for a nice pair of grips and yours have impressed me. I really love it if you could share the STL.file with me. I am a Vietnam war vet serving with the 101st Airborne Infantry in Vietnam 1967-1968 and I carried the 1911 side arm (along with my M-16) I really loved my 1911.side arm.
    My problem is I don't know how to PM you for a copy of the STL. If you are willing to share with me please let me know what to do.

Thanks...Jim

17. Joseph Wood

Joseph Wood New Member

If anyone out there still has a copy of this file I'd love an STL of it. Please & thank you. -Joe