1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Cura Issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by colton81, Mar 12, 2017.

1. colton81

colton81 Active Member

I have 2.3.1 Cura and have been having issues with it connecting to the printer. when i click on the tab connect to octoprint my printer will not show up at all. i have gotten it to connect a few times but then will drop back out. also have noticed that the estimated time is way off ( 1 print showed 9hrs but actually took 15 hours ) i have tried uninstalling and completly removing every piece of cura file from my computer then reinstalling and still the same issue. anyone know what is going on? also i see ultimaker has the 2.4 cura version but with that one the C2 is not on there.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The time estimates are always going to be off ... none of the software will get them right (not for the C2, the R2, the R1, the R1+ or most other printers on the market). You can only know how many GCode commands you have to execute. Not how long they will take :) You can make a guess, but you can't account for acceleration and decelleration and jerk. The math is too hard.

Now, all that said, you could be having a problem with the control board in the printer or with the Raspberry Pi that runs OctoPrint (so please -- contact Robo support).

There is not a lot to diagnose (sadly) in this current config. There are ways to tear it apart and do more in-depth testing, but while under warranty that is silly.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Oh, I forgot ... the Cura from Robo is a bit customized for the C2 as well so Ultimaker will not have that for update. Presumably Robo will... You might can save the printer profile and import it into the new one.

4. colton81

colton81 Active Member

ok thanks i have contacted Robo to see if we can get a replacement printer since my last call he told me he had no clue what the issue is. But im not holding my breath with them i will give them another shot at fixing this and if not then its off to every review site i can find on them.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They should make it right. Don't accept a crap answer from the front-line folks answering the phones either.
    Escalate the issue within Robo.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

A side question, is the Cura from Robo code modified or does it just have a built in configuration for the C2? If the latter, can it be stripped out and moved to the standard Cura 2.4 download?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You know what? I didn't try it :)
    I will go do that now.

I have been slicing with Simplify and uploading to OctoPrint. I downloaded the generic version of Cura to try and configure the dual-extrusion project for the C2.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, I don't have time right now to do a lot of digging, but it asks on install which machine (C2/R2) and preconfigures the machine settings and filament profiles. I did not see an easy way to export either of those from the UI (but you can do it with the JSON scripts I am sure). Might have missed it, but it was not super obvious looking through the menus/screens.

9. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Im thinking this isnt a software issue with Cura but an issue with thr printer. I was able to getnit to successfully print after 4 times and i didnt change anything. Last night though when i canceled a print half way through it asked me to confirm it was canceled then the screen went white and stayed that way for about 15 mins i couldnt do anything not even octoprint from the IP address was doing anything. It didnt say it lost connection though. I restarted it and everything came back up. Then this morning i turned it on and it said main board not detected rebooted again and it came up just fine. I have triple checked all connections and found nothing. Robo obviously still has not responded to my email dispite liking my comment on their facebook page to reply back to it. Going to call again today and will probably be told to set up another appointment.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sadly that is not an abnormal experience when calling them.

That could be a number of issues from a problem with the Raspberry Pi or printer control boards or simply a bad USB cable connecting them (there is a short USB cable that links the control board to the Pi).

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That sounds like a problem with the Pi since it is what runs the LCD software AND OctoPrint.

If could just be a corrupt SD card image, but they don't make refreshing that simple.

12. colton81

colton81 Active Member

That would make since for the usb cable to be bad. Im noticin that the z axis is having issues with moving the proper steps to accomodate for layer height. I have noticed since the update it seems its doing a better job at adjusting for the bed level i can actually see it move to compensate for higher areas. But it does not move enough when starting to add layers and by the end of the print the nozzle is so close to the print it is causing it to melt the pla and string it. At this point Robo seriously needs to just let me send this back to them and they send me a new one

13. colton81

colton81 Active Member

I wish it was as simple to just buy a new Pi and reinstall the software. I would much rather do that then have to deal with Robo trying to find anyway around having to fix it

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck. That is a great approach, but not generally one they will do. That was one of the reasons buying from someplace like Amazon was a win because they WOULD accept returns and replace with a different unit.

Yea, if they would just stage Pi image for download... you could easily reburn it.
    I can make a copy of mine, but then you end up with all configuration on mine (like the dual extruder stuff) and that might be a mess to clean up. I might have a virgin copy of the one that was on my machine before I altered it, but even then it was a refurb unit so it will not be the same as what was installed when you bought yours.

Push them to make an SD card image available for you to download and use. That would be a great start.

15. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

LOL if you think they care that much about individual reviews (or even general internet forums and review sites) after how badly they got shredded in 2015 by Reddit.

Also, if that worked I would have a working R1+.

16. colton81

colton81 Active Member

well its worth a shot lol i recieved a message back on facebook that they would let support know about my email that was 2 days ago lol this is starting to become a joke

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have raised this thread again to @Jerry RoBo 3D and @Harry so hopefully they are available to take a look and shake a tree.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They have apparently been waiting on replacement parts stock that was back ordered.

19. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Well i sent my email on sunday and finally got a response back yesterday. Pretty much in the email they stated because of all the issues they would want to replace the machine. They asked for my address and i sent it back to them. Was finally relieved that at least they are doing something now. Then i get a call today and they believe its a software issue ( which is possible from what i can tell ) so im going to give them the benefit of the doubt and told them if they can get me the image file for me to redownload the software and he also said they had a update they came out yesterday. Ill try updating tonight and also once i recieve the image file try to reinstall it and see what happens from there. Honestly shouldnt hvae to do all of this because of how long this has been going on. But ill give them one more shot to try to make this right before i let them know its time to send me a new one.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If they replace it you should end up with a working unit.