1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Mods and experiences with our Robo 3D R1+ (1st Printer)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Curtis Wolfe, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Curtis Wolfe

Curtis Wolfe Active Member

I'm printing out the herringbone gear set. If I decide to install it would I need to make an adjustment in the firmware? Or just calibrate my extruder? I'm not sure I'm going to install it now though. The printer is printing very nicely and I don't really want to mess with a good thing.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Extruder cal should be the worst of it.

jim3Dbot and Curtis Wolfe like this.
  3. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I've heard elsewhere that Nylon is best for gears. What say you all?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep or Alloy910 to be more specific :)

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

BUT ... PLA will work fine, the last one I did was all PLA and no issues. For long-term sure ... Alloy910 for the win.

6. Curtis Wolfe

Yeah, I kind of thought PLA wasn't the best choice. I did 45% infill. It's pretty solid. I didn't really want to start messing with ABS. I do have a big roll of it though.

7. Curtis Wolfe

I've been running into a problem since I downloaded the newest version of Matter Control. With any model that has some complexity it really slows down my computer or freezes it up completely. If I do get it to print the Robo studders quite a bit. I've re-booted several times.
    Thinking it might be the cheap laptop I'm hooked up to I went and bought a new tower from Fry's and it's still doing it. I did receive an error when I went to download the drivers but it did connect.

Any thoughts?

This started when I tried to render a Groot Mark. LOL

Thanks,

Curtis

8. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

First problem is not saving the GCode to an SD card and telling the printer to run it from there.

Second problem is using MatterControl when literally any other slicer software is better.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Use different software.

The reason I avoid MatterControl (and most of the free ones really) is that you never know how or when it will fail.

I spent the first year I owned the first printer using everything and ended up using repetier host the most back then. It was just the most reliable of the free ones I played with. Now it has been a LONG time since I used any of the free ones so ... Your Mileage May Vary (void where prohibited, etc.)

Repetier Host
    Cura

are two of the other more popular free ones.

(I use Simplify3D)

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Don't forget Slic3r and Prusa's modified version that has easily adjustable layer heights.

Just an FYI, the variable layer height feature will be pushed to the main Slic3r code soon, according to the author.

#70 WheresWaldo, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  11. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I liked Matter Control when I first started a little over a year ago. The wife still likes it. After a time I outgrew it and needed a little more control over my prints. I moved to Cura v.15.xx (not the latest version) and run it on both Windows10 and Linux.

I added an LCD Controller and print from either my computer via USB or save the gcode to an SD card and print from the LCD Controller.

My Robo has a memory slot built in but I could never get it to work so moving the the LCD Controller fixed that issue.

As explained to me, once the gcode is created (model is sliced) all that is done with it is it is fed to the printer and it is printed. The computer is basically doing very little work. The choke point is the USB connection.

Early on I messed up my USB cable and my printer would not connect. I simply bought new USB cable and life went on.

I would suggest three things:
    1. try to print using an SD card (assuming your printer can do that)
    2. get a brand new USB cable (not another one in drawer somewhere)
    3. try downloading Cura v15.xx and see if you like it. It's free.

12. Curtis Wolfe

Thanks all.

I have the XXL LCD screen on the way.

I'll try the other suggestions too. It's odd that I had no problems at all for about two weeks and then all of a sudden...choke!

The printer is fine. If I go back to a little more simple print. It's all good. It's just when I plug in a more complex model I get "Reduce Polygons to Render" and every thing slows down.

Curtis

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sounds like a MC bug to me :)
    Certainly not printer specific.

Roll back to the older version.

#73 mark tomlinson, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Curtis Wolfe likes this.
  14. Curtis Wolfe

.........and then work became extremely busy and they wont let me go home to play with my printer!

Somethings not right there!

Rigmarol and mark tomlinson like this.
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I hate it when that happens

Rigmarol likes this.
  16. Curtis Wolfe

I couldn't see how to go back to the previous version of MC from their site. I remembered I had the SD card that came with the Robo and had a earlier version 1.3. something. I cleared the other version and loaded it. I'm still getting some pretty long render times for something as simple as a storm trooper doll helmet. New computer and all.

The Robo seems to be printing it ok, I am still getting some stuttering.

My XXL LCD should be here tomorrow. Hopefully that will improve things, but probably not with MC.I guess I'll be looking at a different option.

C

17. Curtis Wolfe

Well. not so much. The stuttering was pretty bad on this print and it showed.

[​IMG]

I can't get my head around it. This thing was printing like a champ a few days ago. The slow down and rendering issues I'm still having even after replacing the computer, but even so as I understand it once it sends the print to the printer the printer does most the work.

I'm trying to think of things that have happened between the time it was printing great to now. The only thing I can think of is I had some PLA stuck in there and had to pull it pretty hard to get it out. Maybe I jarred something?

18. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

This is only accurate when running from the SD card. If you are "streaming" the program to the printer using MatterControl then you are going to be victim to any slowdowns on MatterControl's part.

19. Curtis Wolfe

..and right after. I get this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No stuttering. or anything. It seems MC doesn't like it if I modify the print. For the stormtrooper helmet I cut it down to 75%. The Benchy I left alone.

#79 Curtis Wolfe, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Beginning to see why folks don't use it yet?