1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Kickstarter Edition: Full rebuild help

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by SPyKER, Mar 27, 2017.

1. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

This thing has been a NIGHTMARE! I have never once gotten a working print out of this printer. I touted it all over the place when it was coming, and I'm embarrassed. Here we are over three and a half years later, and I am back to trying to figure out why I can't get a print to work.

Part way through, some recommend the LCD (I know, not going to change performance) and the E3D V6 (pre-silicon boot version). Upgraded that, and couldn't get it to do anything at all. Turns out is was a combination of things: blown fuse in the switch and the power supply was fried! Before a single working print!

So, I have replaced the fuse, and replaced the power supply, actually replaced the RAMPS board (kept the old one) because I thought that was why the motors weren't moving first. The E3D V6 is on (not yet tested) but the motors are now making odd noises like the mechanics are misaligned.

So I want to do either one of two things: get it replaced with a refurbished model (which I doubt would happen since I was an original backer and we seem forgotten,) or take it all apart and rebuild it right.

I plan to watch the disassembly video, but think I could figure it out. What I am more concerned about is putting it back together correctly, and while I have it completely torn down, what upgrades or fixes would be best to make? I have the heated bed version with the glass. I want it as sturdy, steady, and productive as possible once done.

I had big plans to help my side business with this printer, and without the $700 reward printer I had hoped for, I actually closed down, so I don't have any printer at all right now. Therefore, suggestions for use of printed parts will be replied to with my home address for you to use when sending them, just tell me what I will owe you in materials and shipping, as I CAN'T PRINT MY OWN PARTS!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Motor noises could be mechanical (so make sure belts are aligned and cogs on tight) or electrical (stepper drivers mis-tuned will cause the stepper motor to make odd noises and not step correctly).

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You missed all the hullabaloo back when those betas were first released (and yes -- support for them was minimal to non-existent). However I have two that started off as beta units :) They are really pretty solidly reliable Cartesian printers once you get the working. (one is mine from the KS campaign and the other I bought used from @Printed Solid and upgraded)

My first advice is DO NO UPGRADES (like the E3D) until you get it basically working.

4. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

I understand, Mark. Any "OG" that have any input other than Mark? I should be starting disassembly this evening.

5. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

You could always do like I did and shitcan the Robo, buy either of the sub-$500 Monoprice printers (Maker Select Mini or V2) and actually have a printer you can use without spending well beyond that in time/labor fixing a dead printer.

It's been 3 years. Let it go.

6. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

Not an option. Paying off debt to buy a house, and a replacement printer for one that is fixable for mostly the cost of my time is preferred. But id you have the two, I'd gladly host one of yours until mine's rebuilt.
    [​IMG]

Geof likes this.
  7. daniel871

If buying a refurbished unit is in the cards, then buying one of the printers I mentioned (which have outperformed the R1 in every way that matters in my subjective experience) is also in the cards.

EDIT:

You could literally buy both of the Monoprice printers for the cost of a refurbished R1.

The Mini is $199 with free shipping, the V2 is $299 with free shipping.

8. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

What I was implying was that I wanted Robo 3D to exchange my crapola printer with a refurbished one. Or I can do plasma donations for 4 months and buy a new one I guess. But I hate needles!

Geof likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I suspect that is never going to happen, but hey! Give them a call (you do realize that they do not really monitor the forums).
    It is too late now to get any sort of action taken on the beta -- they have done 4 newer models since then. However, the bright side is that it is a simple printer to repair and upgrade -- cheap too.

Geof likes this.
  10. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Have you contacted Robo and asked them to make you happy?
    Costs nothing and can't hurt.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  11. daniel871

Yeah, that won't happen. Robo doesn't warranty anything beyond 6 months.

12. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

I haven't yet. And I figured out partially why it was making odd noises, and not printing right: The bottom belt has dry rot, and one of the z-axis rod supports is in three pieces! This printer has never been stored anywhere but in my house!

z-axis support .jpg

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Plastic ages. Glue them together until you can print replacements or I can print one for you.

Sent from my BNTV450 using Tapatalk

Geof likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Gt2 belt can be had at Amazon cheap.... I bought a long section awhile back. If you are interested in getting a decent working printer we can absolutely help.

Sent from my BNTV450 using Tapatalk

#14 mark tomlinson, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  15. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

Would you be kind enough to print out the left and right of these? They look a bit stronger and I like the idea of the micro switch holder off the rod. I would gladly pay for the materials, time, and shipping.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:199407

Or I found these:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:621929

I'm going to order some right now. Is there anything that makes one brand or type better than another?

Thanks Mark,
    Sean

16. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

The drawer slides are also sticking a bit. Just blow them off with pressure and re-oil them?

17. daniel871

Not really, so long as they are specified as GT2 belts. I'd double-check the reviews because sometimes some of the really cheap suppliers will send out belts that are not what is specified in the listing (if it happens, you'll see reviews about it).

There are some manufacturers that sell belts that are reinforced with fiberglass or steel strands, but they're a bit more expensive (and I don't believe very many people bother to use them).

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, for now. Longer term project is to print yourself the parts to do the linear rods replacement.

PM me the address you wan those parts shipped to -- I have spares already printed

Geof likes this.
  19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I think this really depends on how you act when talking with them and who you are talking to. I had replacement part sent long after my warranty was up. They were always very good about taking care of me. They were respectful as was I, if you call them they very doubtfully will give you a new machine, but likely will do their best to help.

Even if they dont...people like myself or @mark tomlinson or @WheresWaldo will make the time to assist you in getting your printer working (or a combination of the three of us and many other that frequent the forum)

20. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

I did today, and was very cordial as I have never before this point talked down about Robo #D or the printer. I just am tired or attending the local Meetup 3D printer meetings and not having a working printer. We'll see what happens.

Mark, PM sent. I guess I need to look at what it will take and which solution you all thing is the best version for the linear rods replacement. There are a lot of options on Thingiverse.