1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

FPV Quadcopter - Accessories

Discussion in 'Projects' started by KTMDirtFace, Jul 8, 2016.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I have done the fully 3d printed quadcopters, they suck. now I'm building a MRM 250.

First off I wanted a tray for my receiver and some antenna mounts.. done. Next up will be another tray for my VTX and VTX antenna, hopefully break away.

Anyhow here is the receiver tray and antenna holders.

Fusion360
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not stuck down or mounted just test fits
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Top plate not screwed on yet but the antennas clear it
    [​IMG]

mark tomlinson and Chuck Erwin like this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you design your own it isn't hideous :)
    Use the best materials for the various bits, IMHO there is no one material for printing the entire thing from. Some bits you want stiffer than others (for example). It gets a lot harder to do as the quad gets lager for sure.

This is a good job you got here too.

Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I havn't done the quad copters but have made a ton of rc helicopter parts. Some work well....some dont at all :D .

Great job @KTMDirtFace

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I started off thinking a nylon would be ideal and... nope (generally speaking). It is just too flexible for most parts.
    Alloy910 on the other hand... :)

CF composites work well too.

Hard to beat a sheet of real CF for the bodies and stiffer parts though. It is not that expensive any more and you can't touch it with printables.

5. KTMDirtFace

Yea I think my CF frame was about $30 for a really nice one. ( You can get cheap fake CF for way less )

My other quadcopter has 3d printed FPV camera mount, printed landing feet, printed spacers. Its bullet proof i can crash it into the ground and cartwheel it and i just break props.

I printed a bunch of random parts for the guys at the flying field. I tried to give them away but they all insisted on paying me. :)

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  6. KTMDirtFace

I'm getting closer, been working way to much to have time to play with my 3d printers and whatnot. So everything takes forever.

Made this snap on plate today, that snaps on and holds the Video transmitter antenna and breaks away in a crash.. I got the idea from somewhere else but anyway, few tests in fusion 360 and I think its going to work. PS Fusion 360 Rules!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. KTMDirtFace

Few more pics.. just have to solder 3 more wires tomorrow, plasti dip some bare solder, and should be flying.

Video Transmitter antenna mount snaps on to provide relief in a crash.. should work out good, I may add something just to prevent the antenna from getting ripped out of the vtx in a cartwheel.

Printed in esun petg with my titan and e3dv6.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. KTMDirtFace

One of my 12v step/down step up modules was not working or I put the wrong one in.. anyway it was stepping everything down to 5v. I tried to remove it to put a diffrent one on and messed up my OSO 250 board. Have a new one now but no time to work on it *sigh*

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@KTMDirtFace Reviving this older thread because I want to ask a couple of questions.

1. What flight controller are you using?
      I currently use a couple of PixHawks with ArduCopter for my Hexa and Quad
    2. What radio do you use?
      I have a Taranis Plus running OpenTX
    3. Do you use Telemetry?
    4. Do you do anything with FPV?

11. KTMDirtFace

Sorry I missed this.

My quads are 250 sized FPV Racing quads. I have a Blade 350 V3 with a Tarot Gimball, but I got BORED TO HELL with that style quad. I need to sell it.

1. SP Racing F3
    2. Taranis
    3. No..other than I have a battery voltage monitor so my radio talks to me when my battery is getting low.
    4. Yea I only do FPV on my quads these days. Though they have been broken for months and I havn't had time to fix them and fly.

12. KTMDirtFace

I finally re-built this thing and got it flying today.

I changed frames so had to re-design my shelf things, and breakaway video transmitter mount.

Anyway its working good so far.

I got the camera mount off thingiverse this time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not 3d printer related but I got a new radio for it. I like it way more than its more expensive older brother.

[​IMG]

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  13. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@KTMDirtFace I have the older Taranis+Plus and it can be a bit unwieldy.

14. KTMDirtFace

So do I and I never liked the feel of it. its off balance, has terrible grip and feels cheap.. Gimbals are fine I hate the rest of it feel.

The new one is way more comfortable, better balanced with rubber grips..Feels better. Missing a few switches but I never used them anyway.

OutsourcedGuru likes this.
  15. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I bought the nifty Robo Quadcopter kit... only it will not fit on the Robo C2. So... my options are to carefully scale down the existing options or just chuck their designs and start from scratch, using their hardware. I will say that Autodesk Fusion 360's Inspect set of features can calculate the center of gravity but you'd need to add your batteries and such as components so that it can do this correctly.

An alternative approach is like they do for car wheels: adjust for balance after everything's done. In other words, place everything on a center-pole stand* and then carefully add one or more small weights so that it now balances. Once balanced, mark that spot and then glue the weight(s) in place.

* Place it on the intersection of the two lines between diagonally-opposite propellers.