1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Filament/print head grabbing extruded filament off of bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Will . I . Am, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Will . I . Am

Will . I . Am Member

So every time I print now my ROBO 3D R1 plus seems to all most grab the filament and just make a mess right after it starts to print the skirt. After the skirt is extruded it begins to start the test cube 12x12 I made and just starts making a complete mess! Any suggestions? Could it be Z offset issue? Or other setting inside CURA I'm missing?

FYI using CURA 2.3.1 on my MAC and recently switched from MatterControl. Still trying to get everything configured to make those great prints finally!

Picture for reference below on settings, failed print, and G coding for Z-offset.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]

2. Will . I . Am

Will . I . Am Member

Tuned to -1.0 z offset and helped but now it curls up sort of on sides [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mamejay

mamejay Member

Could be your z offset. Try change it to -1.0. Looks to be too close to the print bed

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Nope, not this time :) Curling is a heat management issue. You are probably printing the filament too hot. Try 195, then 190, etc. Or 198, 196, 194, etc.

5. Will . I . Am

Will . I . Am Member

@mark tomlinson wel i got the -1.0 issue resolved and that seems to have helped. So ill try the heat to maybe 195 and see what happens. Again you the man!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Will . I . Am

Will . I . Am Member

@mark tomlinson
    So printed new design this time at 198 hot end and print bed at 48 but as you can see this made a HUGE glob of filament once it started to print the actual design. It started out with the fin part of the shark then jumped to another section rather quickly and just from there started grabbing everything in its path!

[​IMG]

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

According to your screen shots (Hint: For Windows pressing ALT + Print Screen takes a screenshot of only the active window then paste the clipboard to a paint program and save as an image; on a Mac to capture active window, you just need to press Command+Shift+4 and then Spacebar, then your mouse cursor will turn into a camera icon Move the camera icon to the active window and click it. After that, the screenshot of the window will be immediately saved to the desktop in PNG format.), your layer 1 is 0.3 mm which may be too much for the amount of plastic you are extruding. This is something I don't like about Cura, they chose a very arcane way of adjusting for adhesion, plus you went the wrong direction. They chose to adjust layer height of layer 1 to offer a solution for better bed adhesion, it is the hardest way to do it even though it has been done that way since almost the beginning of 3D printers. Most other slicers allow you to adjust the flow rate for layer one rather than the dimension of layer 1, this is much better.

But if you are familiar with the quirks of Cura and want to continue to use it , you should probably lower the Initial Layer Height to something lower than the Layer Height.
    Cura.png

#8 WheresWaldo, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  9. GorillaBob's RC

GorillaBob's RC New Member

I could never get the tape to work out for me. I tried the hair spray. I tried several other things but nothing worked well until I tried the glue stick. That made printing a breeze!

10. Will . I . Am

Will . I . Am Member

@WheresWaldo
    So in other words try setting my first layer height to a 0.2 vs 0.3? I normally like to print at 0.2 layer height resolution as that usually comes out nicely and if I do extremely detailed prints I would go down to a 0.1 layer height for big and highly detailed prints. I would also like to add that on top of all the other issues I'm having I only started seeing the curling up edges and not sticking to the bed properly once I added a printed oiler to the top of the printer where my filaments flows. Perhaps this is another case as to why my filament isn't sticking right and just gets pulled up and starts to glob up everywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 Will . I . Am, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Unlikely. The oiler does not affect layer adhesion.

Geof likes this.