1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

RCBugFix is the latest code, sometimes the developers break old stuff when they add new stuff or fix other broken stuff.
    Release Candidate 8 is the last stable build but lags behind everything in RCBugFix, it is missing stuff that is in RCBF.

If you need to make sure your printer is running and do not want to play with all the new stuff, my suggestion is to stay with RC8. RC8 with MESH is way better than anything Robo has provided, if I do say so myself.

2. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

Was contemplating going to the bugFix R1+ MESH version but after enabling #define PINS_DEBUGGING the compiler spits out dozens of conversion warnings. Is this a problem? The RC8 (which I'm currently running) does not do this.

I tried both the ABL and MESH base versions with the same warnings. The only change I made after downloading was enabling PINS_DEBUGGING..

I know this is a BugFix release but.....I'm just not familiar enough with the compiler to know if this is a concern or not.

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Warnings are usually just that warnings.

Is there a reason you need pin debugging turned on?

4. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

No, I have the filament out sensor and it was a suggestion for debugging it so it was just in my list of previous changes so I included it. Removing it allows it to compile fine, just wanted to make sure it being undefined wasn't hiding a problem. I'll move forward without it, thanks.

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Doug Meek I am working on the files for May 1st. I just downloaded and I am working on today's code. It is working with a few anomalies that I have asked about. After a few false starts and failed prints I am using the current RCBugFix with MESH and printing a Mini Mouse for my wife's keychain right now. The Marlin devs rearranged a lot of stuff in Configuration.h and they renamed a few things too. Come May 1st I feel confident I can move away from March 15th files I am currently using.

6. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

Good to know! I may just wait till you get them posted since you are so close. Thanks for the heads up

Something I have been fighting for any of you Marlin experts out there......I am designing a filament out sensor that will monitor that the filament is in place and that there is movement (to detect jams). The one problem I'm having is when the head sits idle between jobs the movement portion of my sensor will trigger an error since the filament isn't moving (by design) but then when I start a print job Marlin will see the filament out error and triggers something that causes OctoPrint to loose communications. I suspect it sees the error and since the extruder is not up to temp it sends a message to OctoPrint and Octoprint isn't handling that. If it would ignore the error at that point, the movement of the extruder would cause filament movement and clear the error and all would be fine but it errors before that.

Could this be the code throwing the message back? This is in Marlin_Main.cpp.

inline void gcode_M600() {

if (!DEBUGGING(DRYRUN) && thermalManager.tooColdToExtrude(active_extruder)) {
    SERIAL_ERROR_START;
    SERIAL_ERRORLNPGM(MSG_TOO_COLD_FOR_M600);
    return;
    }

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

This is something that I find very frustrating about Marlin, no recursive testing is done when patching code. It appears they rely totally on end user complaints and issues when some of the new code breaks old code. So with May 1 which actually works if you work around the broken code, you cannot use G29 S4 Zn.nnn to offset the MESH if using MESH leveling. Now you use the old M851 Zn.nnn Z_Offset. I have it working and it seems to work well. I still have not switched to UBL because the current implementation does not add any significant value to R1 users and adds complexity to the leveling process.

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This is why I am (patiently) waiting for them get to a release.
    :(

I know all the bugs in the one I am using.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Please don't hold your breathe!

I don't think you will see an actual release for quite some time.

10. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

" ... I still have not switched to UBL because the current implementation does not add any significant value to R1 users and adds complexity to the leveling process."

Waldo - Will MESH still be an option once UBL is fully integrated & tested?

I ask because I thought MESH was being replaced by the UBL G29 P2 manual probing system (for printers without a probe).

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Ed Ferguson I do believe that MESH will eventually be deprecated once U.B.L. is fully integrated. It will still be in 1.1.0 and maybe even 1.2.0. But we can cross that bridge when we get to it. I haven't seen anything on any other firmware that seems to be missing from 1.1.0. I think the next version after the current level of development is simply going to be a code refactor with little to no additional features. I am not sure I would worry about it too much.

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

May 1st and the Bavarian Illuminati was founded on this day in 1776 (draw your own conclusions), here are the files for Marlin 1.1.0 RCBugFix. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and extract the appropriate files within the Marlin source sub-directory. You cannot use configuration files from previous Marlin releases or from previous Release Candidates. These archives contain the complete source modified as noted. This version and future versions of Marlin must be compiled on Arduino IDE 1.6.8 or newer. Post #1 edited with the current links.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RCBF_MESH_R1_05-01 for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RCBF_MESH_PLUS_05-01 for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RCBF_MESH_TR82_05-01 for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party TR8*2 lead screws
    2. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE. Compilation has been tested with Arduino IDE version 1.8.2 only.
    3. After successful upload, clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    4. Re-enter you Z axis offset, if needed, using M851 Zn.nnn, where n.nnn is the amount of offset from the bed. M565 support is not included in this version of Marlin. M851 shouldn't work either but somewhere G29 S4 Zn.nnn got broken and M851 seems to work to offset the MESH.
    5. Make sure to run the PID auto tune routine for your printer for both hotend (E0) and bed (E-1). Edit Configuration.h with your specific values and recompile and upload to your printer.
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. MESH Bed Leveling enabled w/25 probe points (5 x 5 grid)
    5. Major performance improvement for Graphical LCDs
    6. MESH adjustment heights configured to prevent fractional micro-steps
    New - You supposedly can use Baby-stepping to adjust M851, but it is not enabled in this version because it is still broken.

New - Most of this new code is rearranging the configuration files for better grouping of like functions as well as improvements to U.B.L code.

Something else I noticed in the last few downloads; the standard 20 x 4 LCD is no longer enabled by default. In fact no LCD is enabled by default. A couple of other notes, for MESH file sets I have kept Z_SAFE_HOMING enabled but changed the parameters to home Z at 1/10th the maximum X and Y. As a result a G28 command with Home X, then Home Y then move to X22, Y23 to Home Z.

Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB. I cannot guarantee success using beta firmware, I can vouch for error free compiling with these included files. If there are issues with the configuration let me know and we can work on them together. Original post (#1) edited to provide a link to these current RCBugFix files.

Attached Files:

#1152 WheresWaldo, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

May 1st; in 1965 Mrs. Brown had a lovely daughter; in 1851 The Great Exhibition of the Works of Industry of All Nations opened in Hyde Park, London, England; and the files for Marlin 1.1.0 RCBugFix are here. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and extract the appropriate files within the Marlin source sub-directory. You cannot use configuration files from previous Marlin releases or from previous Release Candidates. These archives contain the complete source modified as noted. This version and future versions of Marlin must be compiled on Arduino IDE 1.6.8 or newer. Post #1 edited with the current links.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RCBF_ABL_R1_05-01 for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RCBF_ABL_PLUS_05-01 for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RCBF_ABL_TR82_05-01 for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party TR8*2 lead screws
    2. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE. Compilation has been tested with Arduino IDE version 1.8.2 only.
    3. After successful upload, clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    4. Re-enter you Z axis offset using M851 as a positive number. M565 is no longer supported in this version
    5. Make sure to run the PID auto tune routine for your printer for both hotend (E0) and bed (E-1). Edit Configuration.h with your specific values and recompile and upload to your printer.

Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. Automatic Bed Leveling enabled w/16 probe points (4 x 4 grid)
    5. BILINEAR bed leveling enabled as default
    6. Major performance improvement for Graphical LCDs
    7. Some other stuff
    New - Baby-stepping can be used to set the Z Offset (not currently enabled)

New - Most of this code just rearranges the defines in Configuration.h to group like parameters together, the underlying code has many fixes for U.B.L. but little in the way of new features.

Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB. I cannot guarantee success using beta firmware, I can vouch for error free compiling with these included files. If there are issues with the configuration let me know and we can work on them together. Original post (#1) edited to provide a link to these current RCBugFix files.

Attached Files:

#1153 WheresWaldo, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  14. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@danzca6 this was posted 20 minutes ago I haven't even had my coffee yet.

I will download, make my changes and post the files, then we can close this thread. I will probably make a new thread that just has a post with the description and files attached.

Maybe we can just close this thread now and then open one with 1.1.0 Release

mark tomlinson, Geof and Patrick Ryan like this.
  16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Closed and locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.