1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Ramps 1.4 board not working help!!!

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by mclemens7, May 5, 2017.

1. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

I have recently bought a ramps 1.4 board because I wanted to install dual extruders. I plugged everything in the correct spots (some people accidentally plug it in the reset plug on the arduino, I didn't). I turn it on and nothing happens, the bottom of the Arduino gets REALLY hot and I don't know what to do. Could it be a bad board? I already tried brand new stepper drivers and I made sure I didn't install them the incorrect way, and nothing happens. I then took all the wires out and plugged the Arduino into the ramps and the power was also going to the ramps and it all lit up. I don't know what the problem is, faulty wiring ink.

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

If you didn't flash firmware that actually defines what you want to do with the correct board (and not the customized version Robo uses) then you messed up.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes. That is a bad board.
    I recently bought 3 (I had one spare, but was about to use it and wanted more). Of those 3, one was working and two were doing exactly what you describe :)

By dismantling it I was able to narrow down the issue to something in the stepper driver bits of the RAMPS, but since I bought them Amazon prime I simply got a refund and shipped them back.

This is not the first (or third) time I have seen defective RAMPS (new boards).

I don't even buy just one any more ...

4. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

How should I go by flashing the firmware. Do I need to. What do I do and what do I take away or add

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yours is not in need of firmware -- the Arduino is where the firmware goes, not the RAMPs.
    I assure you that if the Arduino board gets hot with it installed then the RAMPS board is toast. There are other issues with usability/functionality if you got the incorrect board, but it would mostly work. A bad board will not. At all.

6. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

Is the Tampa board just plug and play

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You mean the RAMPS board?

Yes, just swap in a new one. If you have an R1+ then you need to look here

http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...and-rewiring-to-make-generic-ramps-work.8356/

if you want to use a generic RAMPS board or you need to buy an exact replacement from Robo directly. The generic one is wired slightly differently.

If you have an older R1 machine then the generic one is fine. If you replace the Arduino then you need to reload the firmware.

8. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

I just received another one and it does the same damn thing. But now the power supply is making a weird sound. I don't get it. Why is this happening

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, we still do not know exactly which printer (and which style of RAMPS board) you are using :)

So we are working a bit in the dark. While obvious to you, we don't have all the details.

As I mentioned I am seeing more of the generic RAMPS boards that are failing out of the box. If you have an R1+ and bought the custom one from Robo3D that is a serious problem and they need to be notified -- call them

Also, it could be a power supply issue so if you have a meter read DC Volts out of the power supply. It should be approximately 12v (not less).

The noise from the power supply could also be it complaining because the RAMPS has a shorted out MOSFET and is just pulling a LOT of current. So I am leaning towards this still just being defective RAMPS boards. Be careful since those sometimes pull a lot of current through the Arduino board as well and you don't want to kill it while troubleshooting the RAMPS issue.

10. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

its a regular ramps. its not one made by robo 3d

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, if it is a generic one (meaning you have an R1 or earlier, not an R1+) then no worries. It is a drop-in replacement (when you have a working board).

12. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

no im sorry i thought you meant board, i want to put in a ramps 1.4 in an r1+ and i have the problems i keep mentioning with the r1+

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is not a drop in for the R1+. There is a thread that details the changes you need to make for that RAMPS to work in the R1+

Sent from my BNTV450 using Tapatalk

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can post that link for you tomorrow if you do not find it or if @Geof doesn't beat me to it.

Sent from my BNTV450 using Tapatalk

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member