1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Sla printers

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by colton81, May 9, 2017.

1. colton81

colton81 Active Member

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

$200 is not going to get you much in the SLA market...(kickstarter or otherwise).
    While mine has a small build area (slightly larger than a C2) the size of the printer is "uuuuuge!"
    Have to fit the projector in there and room for the focus path....

I could have made it a bit smaller by clever use of mirrors. Nope... did not want to do that.

3. colton81

colton81 Active Member

ive seen the sketchy crap but from what i can see this is the 3rd printer this company has released and the first one which was the titan was funded and they delivered on it

4. colton81

colton81 Active Member

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

LCD panel rather than a DLP.
    Cure times for a layer will be longer.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If 200 is your budget look into a small fdm. A liter of resin is 100.00.

SLA is expensive all around unfortunantely

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Yea which i figured that but c'mon if this really happens would you complain for only $200? lol from a bunch of the community threads on DIY SLA printers everyone is moving to the LCD side and getting away from the DLP

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

DLP printers are not what I would call a huge section of the installed base :)
    They are special purpose because as @Geof points out the "filament" is expensive (and his price is more along the "average" some are much more than that). You just get more bang for your buck with FDM. The C2 prints out high quality small stuff and is a lot cheaper to source and use.

Geof likes this.
  9. colton81

colton81 Active Member

its not really my budget but i dont want to go out and spend $1,300 plus on a printer that im not sure i would really want. Granted the resin isnt cheaper but so was filament before 2009.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

1300.00 is a pretty rockin deal for a bigger resin printer but i do 3dp for a living so completely understand not wanting to drop that much for one as a hobbyist/enthusiast

Maybe get samples from the manufacturers or other users that own and ask for pricing per print volume in the materials youd likely use.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

SLA and DLP have been around just as long and resin prices are not going down... much :)
    I don't see them becoming enough of the market to really make a dent. There is a metric crap-ton of plastic that gets used every month in FDM printers... scale, all about economy of scale.

12. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Yea im going to look more into and see if i can get a physical sample.

Geof likes this.
  13. colton81

colton81 Active Member

True but it is going down. And also the demand for FDM printers is higher because the cost to manufacture a FDM printer is cheaper but once the cost of SLA printers drop then the demand will get higher. I havent really seen any small detailed prints from the C2 that are even a close match to a SLA printer. I could be wrong but if there is some point me to that direction because i cant seem to get small prints to print out nicely on mine

14. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Longer, actually. The original 3d printers were SLA in the 1980s, FDM didn't show up until 1992.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Look into e3d .25 and .15 nozzles. I use a .15 and do crazy detail with a robo on items under the size of a dime :D

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is an example.

20170510_154556.jpg

Geof likes this.
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That sample was printed on a C2 with a 0.4 nozzle and crap filament :)

Geof likes this.
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It will take a fortnight to print at that scale in any visible size, but durned if it won't look 'tight' :)

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If your in a hurry you might wanna look into injection molds ;) bahahaha

20. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@colton81 ,

If you want a Kudo3D Bean now just buy a Wanhao D7 it is the same printer. Wanhao took another design and basically did what the Wanhao knows how to do best; Make it as cheaply as possible.

If you want an idea of what to expect just join the Wanhao Duplicator 7 group on Facebook and see all the nonsense they have had to go through to get their printers running. If Kudo3D can actually make a printer for $200 + shipping be prepared to dedicate a computer to attach to it and a severe learning curve when it comes to resin use. You can't ask for help with things like layer cure times or printer settings and slicer settings, it is all too new and even a group as dedicated as the D7 users can't agree on those things.

You can also bet the $200 will be for the first, my guess is 5 early birds, then you will scale up significantly from there. And it doesn't matter that Kudo3d says they are a California company, this printer will be made and shipped direct from China and you already have experience with one company that does exactly the same thing.

But in all honesty, it seems like you already made up your mind even before you started this thread. You won't see 100% success with resin and are building unreal expectations with regard to printer choices. At least if you do want to play with resin based printers the D7 does have a community built around it as unorganized as they are, they still try to help one another. With a kickstarter there is simply no guarantee that anything will come of it regardless of any past success.

Kilrah, mark tomlinson and Geof like this.