1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved USB issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by J_Man, May 14, 2017.

1. J_Man

J_Man Member

Since getting my Robo R1+, the usb port had to be wiggled when the cable was plugged. I started getting a comm 5 was in use error when trying to run the printer. I finally printed a USB guard with hope that it would maybe fix the problem, but I guess it made it worse. Now it says that there was an error loading the usb port. I also noticed the cable getting warm... any idea what this is? Replace the cable or is there something wrong with the port? I generally get it to work after a while, but today it just wasn't working.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The port is part of the ardunio mega board. That will need to be replaced and the firmware reloaded. Under warranty contact robo for parts.

Sent from my BNTV450 using Tapatalk

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Out of warranty you need an Arduino mega 2560. Pretty cheap on Amazon

Sent from my BNTV450 using Tapatalk

4. DavidTheNerd

DavidTheNerd New Member

Is it also possible to buy a clone from a place like sainsmart?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sure. As long as it is a Mega 2560 you are fine.

DavidTheNerd likes this.
  6. J_Man

J_Man Member

I finally got them on the phone. The recommendation was to schedule a tech call and probably it'll result in changing the board. I was looking at the USB component and it doesn't look like the solder is connecting to the board. Also the smaller connectors look like they may be having an issue with not being connected or broke. Ever since I got the printer, it had an issue with needing to wiggle the port for the computer to recognize it. Probably had a faulty connection and all the wiggling more than likely caused it to disconnect from the board.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They don't (well, none of the ones I opened at least) use actual Arduino branded boards, rather the cheaper clones.
    Now there is (in general) nothing wrong with that and we have used a lot of generic clones in our projects as well, but... they are more cheaply built.

Out of warranty the cheap part is OK too :)