1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

DIY FDM printer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by colton81, May 14, 2017.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I've built more printers than I'd like to admit, in fact for whatever reason I've still got one in production that I built lol. Its always...ALWAYS...more money and time invested than just buying one outright. If it were me (and your lady was ok with it) I'd look around for a sigma 1st gen (should be able to pick up pretty cheap) then upgrade to the R17 (about 300.00 for the upgrades without the hotend family) and you'd save a ton of cash. I will say while on the subject of dual extruder machines...from everything I saw at Midwest Rep Rap and at the TCT Rapid Event there will be some pretty huge things coming this year.

At TCT I saw makergear with their new dual extruder printer (IDEX system as well), and their not the only ones mimicking the sigmas IDEX. I'd keep an eye out and see what pops up over the next year :D

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Yea ill see if i can find a sugma i wouldnt mind doing that. So far havent found any but im going to keep looking.

Has anyone used a arduino due with radd shield? I know arduino discontinued it but it seems like a pretty good choice as well.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No, but we have used the Due for other things where we needed a higher-speed board and could tolerate 3.3v (CMOS) logic levels.
    Nice board and still available from re-sellers. Here is where we got ours: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A6C3JN2

(not really cheap, but worth it)

edit: And because you have to largely rewrite (or roll your own) any libraries you need (other than generic system ones) it is a bit more of a pain to write for.

4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

its performance at the show was on par. i'll be keeping an eye on them. I dont much care for their "were good, pay double the money" from their standard machines, but this new one is...just damn impressive lol. Well worth what they said they were going to ask for it. Print quality that rivaled my sigma and the UM3. Very cool.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Talk to the resellers. They would likely be the ones that took the original sigmas on trade.

7. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Yea ill give that a shot and see if i find any.

Just a thought and maybe you all can clear this up but wouldnt it be easier to replicate the C2/R2 since i have one on hand and just build it the size i want and upgrade the mainboard? Then couldnt i just copy the image file and use that for running it? The reason im asking that is because when you look at all of these DIY printers they have wires running all over the place and they make it look way more complicated then the way the C2 is built. Now my programming skills isnt the best so im not sure it would be as easy as getting a better mainboard and just using Robos image file to run it.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

:D I wouldn't tell you what to do, just offer a opinion lol. You can by all means do anything you'd like, if you remove the covers the C2 wiring is ran "all over the place too" they just spend the time DIY kits didn't to do proper wire management. If you want to replicate a C2 by all means do so! And make a thread about it so people can follow along on your progress.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The C2 has some wire management (better than the R1 series) but not much :) They 'managed' the cables running to/from the hotend/extruder and everything else not so much. Of course there isn't much "everything else" so there is that...

Geof likes this.
  10. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Hey thats why im posting on here i want everyones opinion it helps alot. Im thinking it will be easier to replicate it since i can easily just refer back to my C2 if i have any problems but obviously it will be a bigger version with heated bed and enclosure as well. Theres so many different mainboards to choose from its a little intimidating lol i decided to not go with the smoothieboard and wait untill they come out with the V2 of it before i try it. So my options are below

*Arduino due (which ive already bought but not the radds for it) $30 by itself, 32 bit processor, stepper driver seperate,
    *Duet wifi $169 (duex5 expansion is another $69) 32 bit processor, 1/256 microstepping
    *Arduino/ramps combo $44 (mega 2560 R3,V1.4 Ramps
    *Rambo v1.3 $170, 1/16th microstepping 8 bit processor

11. colton81

colton81 Active Member

True i didnt think about they dont have a heated bed or dual extrusion which is what i was looking up for DIY versions. One thing i have noticed is that alot of the diy printers there were alot of wires running to the carriage but with the C2 is a ribbon cable which i gues you could consider wire managment.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

just a preference :D. I perfer straight wiring vs ribbon cables. I have loads of wiring...ribbon cable I always have just short of what I need lol.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Mine does :)

Geof likes this.
  14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

braggart ;)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Yea which i moght do that to mine as well tried printing a gyroscope cube and it just doesnt work as good as the ones printed with pva supports!

16. colton81

colton81 Active Member

A little off topic from this but someone is selling a R1 plus in my area for $500!! Wth you can buy them refurbished for that price from Robo what do you think would be a reasonable offer for it?

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not much work really and ultimately I still can't use it very well since I have not had time to get a slicer that works right. I was hoping that the R2 would roll out and Robo would provide some Cura profiles I could steal and hack apart... I "simply" do not have Simplify3D configured correctly in some odd way since as soon as I try to print a multi-extruder slice it goes weird and tries to send the nozzle off into LaLa Land.

Once I get out of this month (and get our workshop built and moved into) I will go back to banging on that.

Geof likes this.
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, I spoke to a few others who are seeing the sudden and rapid depreciation of their printer :)
    Assuming it works no more than $400 (you can get a refurb for just under $500 with a warranty) and if not working $300 (frankly I would not offer more than $250 max if it was not currently printing)

And at those prices I would -- at best -- split shipping or expect it included

P.S. @Geof is even more brutal on pricing, but seriously consider the price of a refurb with a warranty and you see the problem :)

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

LOL cant pay up for a broken machine ;). In all honesty I try to stay around the 200.00 range for a used Robo. 90% of the time your not buying a working machine, and if you are its stock, zero upgrades, no warranty, shipping costs etc. 200 bucks. lol.

colton81 and mark tomlinson like this.
  20. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Lol well i offered $200 she wasnt happy i explained to her about her selling it for the same price as Robo's refurbished with a warranty. She claims its brand new and only used once but honestly you can never be 100% sure they are telling the truth