1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

DIY FDM printer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by colton81, May 14, 2017.

1. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Well i decided to go with the e3d big box design i like the print area and theres a complete build sheet on it and a comunity that backs it and is working on making idex system work on it. So now im probably just going to gonwith the duet wifi controller from what ive read its pretty staright forward.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

A good choice, I like the BigBox too. Not that my opinion should matter to anyone but me.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If E3D could have kept up with the demand and the production the big box would have been amazing to see production machines. Glad to see the community is still going after it.

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

5. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Yea i was confused why they couldnt do it i know they said the demand was high. But why not do limited sales at a time so your not trying to produce thousands of them at one time.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

As a S.W.A.G.
    E3D is a smaller company even than Robo and the two businesses (hotends, printers) have completely different models of scale :)

7. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Getting the list together but the BOM sheet was meant for people who bought the kit so its not very specific on the parts and im struglling finding specs for alot of the parts for it. Im also looking for someone who is selling theirs but alot of the people i have found selling them are selling for what they paid or even more.

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I can believe it, people won't get rid of them cheap. Like the original Ultimakers or Makerbots, where ya gona get another lol

9. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Yea which i figured. I had one person that has one a single extruder and wood frame fully built hes wanting $1,150 for it and will only pay up to $50 in shipping but im wanting dual and its goig to cost even more to getnit upgraded so i dont think its worth it. But then again i wont be spending months sourcing parts and building it so i dont know.

Geof likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Its likely going to be one of those "how bad do you want it " situations.

11. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Are the big box designs open source?

12. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Yes they are but sourcing the parts are a nightmare. After spending about 2 days and only sourced a few parts i decided it was going to take to long for me for right now. Im going to buy a kit first and get the hang of everything and at least have a second printer up and running before i start building the BigBox.

By tge way i think im going to go with folgertech ft-5 for the big print area and it has a decent comunity begind it as well. Plus i noticed they use the same concept as the Sigma 17 for the rails. So maybe later on i can end up getting a idex system up and running. Also it has close to the same z axis as the BigBox

13. colton81

colton81 Active Member

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

15. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Wow i do like that one as well but the price is a little high for me for the herculien it shows $1,800 total. I went ahead and got the Folgertech FT-5 and then overtime im going to upgrade it and get used to how to build a printer then the Herculien or if something that is better comes out i will start to build from scratch.

While im waiting for the FT-5 to come in im going to go ahead and try adding that second hotend to my C2 with @mark tomlinson guide that he has.

16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The Eustathios is cheaper but it is smaller about 12 x 12 x 12 build area. I'll need to look at the FT-5 (link???)

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

18. MChrisP1

MChrisP1 Member

So far I'm liking the FT5. Im getting ready to stretch its legs here coming up. In the next month I'll have a solid opinion.

I've added the 713 lightweight gantry system, a TitanAero and added parts cooling. I will be synchronizing the Z axis leads physically be belting them to eliminate z shifting differences when machine is not powered.

Run extra wires for parts cooling when doing the build. The instructions aren't great but I figured it out with some FB help.

Overall the machine seems solid. I want to get metal corner plates to replace melamine next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Yea the reason i went with FT-5 is the active community and Folgertech is even active sometimes on the facebook group as well which is a plus. Plus the build area is big eneough that at least i wont gripe about not having a big enough bed to print certain things.

Im going to upgrade to the duet wifi and looking into building a nice enclosure. Some of you already know i still like to consider my printer a "jewel" lol we shall see how it goes

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

HA! I have multiple large format printers...the gripe never goes away my friend. just wait until you scale something up 400%. Time doesn't scale the same way ;)