1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 Shipping update?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by supernovae, Jan 8, 2017.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I'd rather hear a complaint for someone who did ...

Otherwise why not say "OMG! Imagine my printer caught fire and my house burned down"

well... OK. That sucks :)

[edit: I am not justifying the delay since they first started talking about an R2--because that has been even longer--and this is the 3rd design they have used in that process. Certainly getting the design firmed and shipping sooner would have been a far better thing]

#21 mark tomlinson, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
  2. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Robo sent an update to us R2 Kickstarter backers last week. Brandon stated that enough printers have shipped via air from China to complete the Kickstarter orders (my estimate around 210 units). You may have jumped the gun a little, but your wait should be short. The pictures from China show a pretty large production line.

BTW - The Robo C2 is now available through the online Microsoft store:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/robo-c2-compact-smart-3d-printer/9148gpxj59df/

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

My M3D Micro gets a valid excuse in my book, in this edge case it's worth the tiny size/weight/portability of both the printer and the small 5V 4A wall-wart it can run on.

To be fair even if the delay is annoying it will be one of the shortest delay of any crowdfunding campaign I've backed - the error is that it shouldn't have been one in the first place, and it feels like a preorder more than a crowdfunding campaign.

Then again even big companies sometimes have such delays on preorders. DJI being a good example with the Mavic.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the M3D is hot garbage so putting it in the same conversation as the C2 doesn't help things.

$380 for the M3D is laughable when there are many printers out there with more features and at a lower price.

5. supernovae

supernovae Member

When I ordered in December it had a January ship date. THis wasn't from the kickstarter campaign as the kickstarter was a discount for buying on a bulk order - they were even clear that it was sort of a benefit to us to get a better deal..

has the darn thing even shipped yet? its almost June..

6. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

It's $299, and I paid $249 for mine (refurbished).

For me it's the size that was interesting. I wanted a printer to fill the gap until I receive my R2 and that I'd be able to keep afterwards, and don't have room for 2 full-size printers. Easy to carry when going to a spend a weekend with friends etc as well.

7. daniel871

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Kilrah ignore @daniel871 he is under the false impression that anyone cares about his opinions regarding any machines that arnt a monoprice.

@daniel871 glad you found one that works for you but for the love of all that's holy stop your nonsense anytime anybody posts about the new robo series, it's frankly annoying at this point and people that have spent their hard earned money on a new machine don't need you telling them it's junk when frankly you have no experience with the machine hands on.

@mark tomlinson or @WheresWaldo feel free to delete what you find irrelevant in my post :)

#28 Geof, May 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2017
  9. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

No worries, figured out the (lack of) value of his postings.
    Will be looking for the ignore list feature...

The M3D is certainly not the best printer around but it's pretty unique in its form factor, and since it prints WAY better out of the box for $250 than my previous printer that the R2 is supposed to replace and in which I invested $1200+ and countless hours it's certainly good enough in my book.

Wonder what that little printer is though, doesn't seem to be a Wanhao like their other offerings.

Ed Ferguson and Geof like this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Glad to hear :D

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I know, if you have used other printers in the consumer price range (less than 10k) then you know ... it is a hit-or-miss on most of them. I have had my share of lemons :) Robo started off really poor (in terms of quality and service) but they have gotten a lot better. Enough so that I stuck around...

Geof likes this.
  12. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I have had a couple printers that were WAY more expensive than my Robo3d. One is dismantled into a scrap heap now, im using the aluminum from it for tig welding practice LOL. ( Leapfrog Creatr)

The other I sold. ( Makerbot R2 )

I go back to my Robo3d R1 as my go-to. Its had its issues but its easy to work on and fix, and mod.

Plus there is ZERO community for the other printers I had.

EDIT: I have a select mini too, and its great but I never use it unless my robo is down and im trying to print a temporary thing for the robo.

Edit 2: I'm exited for the R2 I didn't buy one but I like the features and specs. Anxious to see people using it.

#32 KTMDirtFace, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  13. daniel871

Its one of the Malyan printers, with some modifications.

The deal with Monoprice is that the rebrands are also modified from the OEM--or are at least production runs where Monoprice had slightly better electronic components installed, etc.

That Mini got particularly popular this year because the core electronics are 32-bit and have built in wifi. There are some pretty impressive projects out there where people have used them to print MP3DP builds and then transferred the electronics over (or just outright hacked them out, reflashed the firmware and used them to drive deltas).

There is a lot of excitement about Monoprice this year in communities outside of this one because they are intoducing printers that are entirely their own design. Like that mini delta for $160 to stomp all over kickstarters.

14. Todd Wessendorf

Todd Wessendorf Active Member

I got my UPS tracking number, but the package appears to be stuck. Says it left Cerritos, CA, United States at 1am on the 27th, and then nothing . . . .

UPS also says that Scheduled delivery information is not available. Been that way for a while now.

Anyone with a tracking number see any progress?

15. daniel871

All that usually means is that shipping information was given to UPS and they generated a tracking number, that does not necessarily mean UPS has processed it at all, or that they've even picked the package up yet.

16. Ed Ferguson

My UPS tracking info shows my R2 was last in Sacramento - heading to my address in Washington State. Doubt you're stuck - UPS Ground tracking updates always seem to lag.

17. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

How did you receive your tracking number? Personal email?

18. Ed Ferguson

The personal email with UPS tracking number came from Kickstarter and not Robo. The email title is: New message about Robo C2 and Robo R2 Smart 3D Printers

Kilrah likes this.
  19. Todd Wessendorf

Todd Wessendorf Active Member

Contacted UPS . . . on it's way and will be delivered on Friday. :) I'll try and post pics and thoughts if I remember.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

UPS My Choice has ways to sign up for alerts on incoming packages, reschedule them, etc.