1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Lately I have som Clicking Noise

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Carlos Garcia, May 31, 2017.

1. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Member

I have done one 24 hour print and a 12 hour print after that and I'm doing a 6 hour print now and Im getting some clicking sounds any idea what could it be?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

is the bed still held down correctly by the magnets? Is it the extruder thats clicking?(could be a partial jam)

I'd try to do a cold pull and season the nozzle after. I'd also consider adding an oiler to your setup if printing in PLA to avoid potential jams in the future (PLA is bad about microclogging).

The deal with it is sometimes your just fine...then BAM your not anymore :D its a good place to start.

I dont have a C2 but maybe @mark tomlinson can add some insight to other potential things?

Carlos Garcia likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is usually the extruder having trouble feeding filamant. Unlike the GregsWade on the R-series these use a small direct extruder and backpressure can make them skip (our delta is infamous for this).

I agree with @Geof that this is probably a clog or partial clog of the extruder. Doing a 'cold pull' is more problematic due to the way the extruder is mounted. See if you can though. If you need instructions on that post back and we can tell you how to do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

4. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Member

Thank you for your reply, whats an Oiler? I imagine its something I add to the printer so it keeps oiling? where can I get it?

5. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Member

Hey Mark, thanks for your reply When you say Doing a "Cold pull" is more problematic you mean it difficult to do or do you mean it could go wrong? If its something I have to absolutely do please send me instructions on how to do it.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It generally is safe, not much to go wrong, what I meant by "problematic" is the way the cold pull is done.
    The idea behind the cold pull is to pull the filament out of a nozzle at a temperature cool enough to keep it in one piece (rather than leaving molten plastic in the hot zone), but still warm enough to allow the plastic to stretch enough to pull away from the sides of the barrel so that it doesn’t seize up entirely.

There are some instructions over here: https://printrbot.zendesk.com/hc/en...logging-the-Hotend-using-the-Cold-Pull-method

Those instructions cover a direct extruder similar to the C2.

Note that none of this is specific to the Robo it is a generic process for removing any junk/gunk from inside the hotend (which might include a partial clog of old filament).

Carlos Garcia and Geof like this.
  7. Stera8

Stera8 Member

I read this thread yesterday and went to print something out today and I heard some clicking...not as much as you but I was nervous that it was the same issue..

However, for me it wasn't in the extruder.... it was the spool of filament unrolling in the back. Could this be a possibility for you?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I myself heard a click sound during a printout. I went around back and the filament had slipped off the spool and was between the spool and the printer, causing some noise.

When I watch this video, though, the noise seems to only happen when the extrusion assembly is moving in the X-axis. I don't know if that means anything, could be coincidence.

Stera8 likes this.
  9. Hanover

Hanover Member

Having the same issue when its moving along the Y access. It sounds like it's coming from the bushings inside of the extruder case. No amount of 3-in-1 Oil seems to fix it.