1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Issues with my R2 that I have observed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by pclabtech, May 31, 2017.

1. pclabtech

pclabtech Active Member

Using the printer's built in slicer causes all sorts of havoc. It always prints support material, when it starts printing it auto levels the build platform twice, causing streams of filament to ooze all over the place during the second "calibration"

The routine to start printing should heat the print bed first but it doesn't. What ends up happening is during the time it takes to heat the bed, the extruder starts spitting out plastic, forming unwanted balls of plastic at the nozzle that get dragged into your print job. Work-around, pre heat the bed, don't let the R2 do it for you.

Cura 2.5
    Print to Octaprint fails to work. It says "Printing to Octaprint" with percentage. When it gets to 100% the printer does nothing. Workaround, save the Gcode to your PC or MAC and drag/drop the Gcode into your web browser running Octaprint.

Other than that, so far so good, print jobs look fabulous of the ones I have done.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there. Congrats on your R2 ! Your the first member I've seen post about recieving it! Would you be so kind as to add some photos of your machine for the group?

Octoprints built in slicer (not robo specific) just suuuuccccckkkkkssss. Your spot on with saving the gcode and uploading to the octoprint terminal. The slicer built in is just...garbage lol. Not worth the headache.

edit: you can adjust the printer in the slicer (or octoprint) via gcode to heat the bed, then extruder, then print.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

OctoPrint uses CuraEngine based on 1.5.x of Cura, you still need to create profiles within Cura and 2.x profiles cannot be imported into 1.5.x. You also have no control over any parameters, the profile is whatever it is. The slicer was a concession for people that wanted a single solution, you are much better off using a PC/MAC based slicer and then using Octoprint to just print the resulting G-Code.

supercazzola likes this.
  4. pclabtech

pclabtech Active Member

On the Kickstarter page I posted my Youtube video:

https://youtu.be/kGMm5wH-OCw

Unboxing the printer (I even have the box label indicating it was #1)

mark tomlinson and WheresWaldo like this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

awesome! Thanks!

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Ruined by Simplify3D you are...

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

:D oh no, I use Cura on the sigma and UM :D the octoprint "slicer" i meant

8. Talanvor

Talanvor Member

I wonder if they all say package number 1 (mine did as well - just unpacked it this evening.) having some z problems on the first through 4th layers, but there was a software update that just came out - hoping that fixes it.

9. Talanvor

Talanvor Member

so i just did the fine tune Z and that gave me a much better number and output - seems with the z-home wizard its off by a full millimeter about. it came out as 8.23 in the z wizard and 7.02 when doing the fine tune.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. Talanvor

Talanvor Member

yeah, the supports and rafts in simplify are just too good to let go - waiting for an updated factory file. =/

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Awesome. The z wizard was slightly too high for me and needed just a tweak. I just hope Robo is done with firmware updates that change the offset they have done that... If it goes whacky after an update just rerun the wizard.

12. Talanvor

Talanvor Member

Yup that completely fixed it - here are a couple photos

Before.png Before
    after.png After

#12 Talanvor, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    KTMDirtFace and mark tomlinson like this.
  13. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Talanvor - Just got my R2 today. Seems to printing a little high. My Z Wizard value is -8.4. Where does one find the "Fine tune Z"?

14. Talanvor

Talanvor Member

update the firmware to the latest version, and under utilities, wizards, fine tune offsets

supercazzola and Ed Ferguson like this.
  15. Jason Kish

Jason Kish New Member

So I just got mine and was having the high value even after the Z Wizard and Fine Tune. Any suggestions?
    Also, I have not been able to get any print that I send through Cura or OctoPrint. It only creates the start line along the front then sends the bed all the way down. After the print time says estimated at 81 days...
    I tried making the home in the center and finally started a calibration cube, but it was located at the front left instead of the center. Any idea how to change these settings?

16. Talanvor

Talanvor Member

what are your Z values from the fine tune?

On the bed size is it set correctly in your cura or did you by chance set your printer to a C2?

#16 Talanvor, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  17. Jason Kish

Jason Kish New Member

Just redid the fine tune after an hour break and it is closer, but still not as close as I set it with fine tune, which was at -7.4

18. Jason Kish

Jason Kish New Member

Also, my filament is stating it has run out after 30 seconds of printing, even though it has plenty and enough feed. And my webcam will not work...

19. Talanvor

Talanvor Member

weird, on the bed location it sounds likefrom the 0,0 mark the file you were printing was set to a bed that was smaller if you set the calibration cube in the middle in your slicer, on the transferring of files i have not had any problems with the version of Cura i just downloaded from Robo's site. It will even send to the printer if you connect with the octoprint API key.

20. Jason Kish

Jason Kish New Member

I did exactly that and haven't changed anything except now it's working. Now the big problem is my filament is saying it is out and stopping the print, and I can't get the z fine tune to stay close enough to keep a good print