1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 Heated Bed Design

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Ed Ferguson, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

I’ve not seen any detail photos of the removable R2 heated bed – so I took photos.

The Z platform base is metal with a plastic cross member frame holding the electrical contacts. The four corners of the frame have springs and thumb screws for rough leveling.

The removable bed appears to be made of glass with a heater laminated underneath. The heater is thin so I assume it’s a circuit board. The bed is held to the platform's cross member frame on four corners via magnetic ball sockets.

Six spring loaded gold contacts on the the platform's cross member frame make connections to four pads on back side of the bed's heater. The gold heater contacts are paired to handle the current draw: two contacts for the + side & two contacts for the minus side. The two remaining contacts are for the bed's thermistor located in the center of the heater.

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

They went the extra mile on the heaters this time given the issues they had with the original (early) R1 units. Nicely done!

Geof and Ed Ferguson like this.
  3. Ed Ferguson

Mark - I think you'll agree with your C2 that these latest printers have quite a bit of design effort behind them. They did nothing to fundamentally change FDM printing - but it's the overall design / integration and elimination of what I call "piss off features" that will make these a pleasure to use. I really want to focus on building my own projects and not mess around with the machine that makes those projects possible. What I see so far is very encouraging.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

thank you for sharing these photos. I am anxiously awaiting the shipment of my pre-order (non-kickstarter) and I enjoy reading posts from those who were lucky enough to get theirs already

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Of all the 3D printers I have used to date the C2 was the closest thing to unpack it and print. The LCD an pi with octoprint all integrated to make it standalone... So nice that I ported that same rig to all of the others too... Except the delta :)

That is just a really nice touch.

6. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

If you guys keep posting pictures I'm going to end up ordering one, and I don't have room for it lol. ( nor do I need another one )

7. pclabtech

pclabtech Active Member

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The Benchy looks good. It does look like you need to tune the slicer settings just a bit.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I have to say they look miles better than the R1+ test files! Good to see! Thanks for sharing. Do they all print with a raft ?

10. Talanvor

Talanvor Member

I am not sure the bed is glass, it may be PEI or something similar as i had to use my putty knife to remove a print earlier, and marked it up a little - not bad but if it is glass it has a treatment on it, just don't go digging into it with a putty knife hard (didn't hurt mine just a small scuff)

11. Ed Ferguson

Talanvor - I have the same thoughts. There does appear to be a coating, and like you, have a slight mark from removing a print. The bed looks like it would be very expensive to replace, so I'm thinking of getting a PEI sheet for it as protection.

12. Talanvor

Talanvor Member

I was thinking the same, unless it is a pei sheet in which case i should be able to remove it, haven't really looked at it yet.

Geof likes this.
  13. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

At first I thought it was a protective coating (like on the plastic windows) so I got my finger nail underneath it. LOL It is stuck well, and I am curious for them to tell us what it really is.

14. Ed Ferguson

Yeah - The bed is a three-layer sandwich.

There are cut-outs on the top bed frame at each corner. They appear to be designed so you can pry off the top layer. Best guess at the moment is the bed itself is an aluminum plate. And a printed circuit board heater is laminated to the bottom of that plate.

I hope Robo had the wisdom to know that the top layer is not indestructible, and designed the bed with the assumption the top layer needs replacing at some point.

Until they confirm that and offer replacement top layers, I'm not curious enough at this point to try and take it apart :)

Of course folks into hacking can always make it work.

jwmueller likes this.
  15. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I started to pull on the plastic corners as they are screwed on, so I think the black edges with the round corners can be pulled up, then you can access the screws. Not DIY friendly, but neither is my Form 2 build plate.

The problem cost wise here is the circuit board heater on the bottom....

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

None of the C2/R2 hardware is user friendly in terms of taking things apart.
    Still can be done,. but friendly? Nope.

jwmueller likes this.
  17. Ed Ferguson

I agree - The black edges on top would have to be pried off to expose the screws. But even if you removed the screws, I think the top layer is glued to the bed plate underneath. Maybe they intend for the user to pry the top layer off from the corners as the frame edges have circular cut-out at the corners. Or maybe they don't intend for the user to mess with the bed surface at all.

We'll see when the time comes. At any rate, it doesn't look hard to figure out a mod, even it the bed turns out slightly thicker. It ain't like we don't have plenty of Z space :)

18. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Lets talk to Brad at Gecko and get him a plate to work on! LOL

19. Daniel Roussel

Daniel Roussel New Member

I've sent Robo an email and they replied that the print bed surface was indeed PEI. It can apparently be sanded once in a while but I don't know if it's replaceable, I assume it is simply sticked on?

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

From what i got from robo its pcb heater, aluminum plate, pei sheet (yes should be replaceable if torn)