1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Issues out of the box...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Paul Pangrazzi, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree Waldo,
    I've got a lot of machines and they are ALL dirty...filament everywhere, some oil drips here and there from maintenance...meh lol. I dont wipe off my channel locks either ;) still work great ;)

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

The string of broken Z-axis switches are a problem though.

How would that even happen in shipping if the internals are secured?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Good question, shock I suppose. My C2 had the Z limit switch slightly mispositioned when I unpacked it.
    Not much, but enough to be a problem.

Geof likes this.
  4. daniel871

It almost sounds like whatever is boxed up inside the printer is not actually secured, but can slide around (breaking the Z-switch and scratching the front door).

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

you'd be amazed how many machines I've had come in (assembled name brand machines) with limit switches destroyed. Handling is intense and does strange things. I initially thought manufacturer issue, but after seeing how many of them have come in the same...totally shipping issues.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That can't happen (at least the Z switch part) -- the bed is in the way (well, the bed AND a plastic bottom cover).
    Not sure how other than just G-Force it can get knocked loose.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

My Zortrax machines are my only ones with a "door" on them. They wont ship them with the doors attached (due to mysterious damages) so they come in a seperate packaging then you have to "assemble" onto the machine. I'm sure Robo will sort it out with these kickstarter machines and make the necessary changes to correct any damages that appear.

8. Paul Pangrazzi

Paul Pangrazzi New Member

Just to be clear, in case I implied that the switch arrived broken... I followed the procedure on startup to remove all the zip ties, and rod braces, load filament, etc... when I got to the step to home the printer, the bed dropped an immediately started that horrible grinding racket that I've unfortunately heard many times in the past.

I shut off the printer, manually turned the z-axis screw until I could open the access below the bed to see what was going on. It's possible that it arrived broken (I never found the metal strip) but since it seems to have performed at least on test print (according to Octoprint's record, and two failed prints... curiously) it's also possible that the homing sequence broke the switch.

I'd like to think it was the latter, because then I might be able to just find that darned piece and try to fix it... but in any event, I think I can cobble a fix until a new switch arrives.

(Btw, I DID polish the door and 90% of the scratches are removed. The gouges at the bottom of where the internal boxes rubbed is simply too deep to remove, BUT they're smooth gouges now... not nearly as noticeable. I'm satisfied.)

Geof likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is possible I imagine. The screw that reaches down there to press that bar would be jammed up against the switch if something were to go awry. In my case the switch was dislodged and slipped out just enough for the Z bar to miss it when it went to the bottom. I was able to press it back in position and add a little glue :)

10. pclabtech

pclabtech Active Member

Mine was scuffed up too in the same place, but not as bad as yours (Only because I chose to pick mine up instead of having DHL deliver it.) Maybe Braydon can have the factory put one of those thin Styrofoam cloths in front of the window inside.

11. Todd Wessendorf

Todd Wessendorf Active Member

Also, does your door have "robo" printed on the inside? From your image it looks like it does . . . . .

12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Uh, why did you quote me on the Z switches since my original comment was about the door scratches.

Any broken parts are an issue and should be brought to the attention of Robo since we can't affect any change in shipping or anything else product related.

Geof likes this.
  13. daniel871

Because whatever was causing the one bit of damage is likely also responsible for the other.

14. Paul Pangrazzi

Paul Pangrazzi New Member

Hi Todd, I've been traveling and can't seem to get reliable notifications when this thread gets updated. Apologies.
    - No "robo" on the door... I used the black plastic cover for the base electronics (under the bed) as a backdrop; it was too difficult to shoot the scratches without it.

Todd Wessendorf and Geof like this.