1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Benchy on Robo R2 sliced with Simplify3D

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Ed Ferguson, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Benchy 4.png

Benchy on Robo R2 sliced with Simplify3D

For those new to 3D printing, the model "Benchy" is commonly used as a benchmark torture test.

First, visit http://www.3dbenchy.com/gallery/ and https://www.pinterest.com/pin/509680882819002963/ to get an idea in the variation of quality from various printers.

Photos above & below show my Robo R2 print of the Thingiverse Benchy sliced with Simplify3D, using the High Quality setting (0.1 mm layer height). Robo PLA filament that came with the R2.

I also printed the Benchy off the Cura sliced version that came on the Robo USB drive (no photos).

Gotta say the Simplify3D sliced version is noticeably better than the Cura version. However, the Cura version was not bad, and better than many Benchy prints at the links above.

Note: I’m using all the default Simplify3D Robo R2 profile settings except as below:
    Removed all Start Code (Printer uses the OctoPrint Start Code as written by Robo instead)
    Set printer Build Volume to X:196 Y:196 Z:250 to match Robo's setting in OctoPrint.
    Increased number of top layers from 4 to 6.
    Increased infill % from 30% to 40%.
    This was to eliminate pin holes in the top layer. The 0.1 layer height of this print necessitated two more top layers to fill in properly.
    Turned Bridging Speed Multiplier down from 100% to 50%
    Turned Bridging Extrusion Multiplier down from 100% to 95%
    This improved reproduction of the tops of the doorway arches and portholes. Slower speeds and slower extrusion helps when bridging. Note that these two settings only affect areas of the model that form a bridge.​

I took the photos using a macro lens and a strong light on the right to emphasize the texture by creating shadows. You'll notice some light harmonic texture in the boat's bow. The texture is very, very shallow and not rough at all. Compare it to the texture in the white nylon cloth below the boat. In contrast, the Cura version had noticeable layer lines with a more pronounced, sharper texture easily felt by running my fingernail over the layers.

In summary I'd say the built-in Cura based slicer or PC version of Cura slicer would work well for many people. But to get all the performance you paid for in your printer, go with the Simplify3D slicer.

Attached Files:

#1 Ed Ferguson, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  2. Charles Billette

Charles Billette New Member

Can you export you simply3D profile and share it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Ed Ferguson

Charles - Here is my Simplify3D Profile for the R2. It has the changes to the stock profile as described in my "Benchy" posting above.

Attached Files:

#3 Ed Ferguson, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    itsonlym3 and JasonSolves like this.
  4. Brothengar

Brothengar New Member

Simplify 3d website doesnt list the R2 as compatible , been contemplating getting the software, seems like it is supported ?

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can make a profile for anything. Since he shared the R2 profile you can use his :)

6. Ed Ferguson

Simplify3D will support the R2 shortly - it just started shipping. The Robo C2 is essentially the same printer - just a smaller print volume. So I took the C2 profile, edited the X,Y,Z print volume values, removed their Start Code, and posted it above. Works great. When Simplify3D does release an R2 profile I'll compare and see if they changed anything else. Doubt they will change anything else.

#6 Ed Ferguson, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Member

Was there a reason you didn't add the heated bed to the profile?

8. Ed Ferguson

Jeff -

Correct - I did not configure the bed heater in Simplify3D.

The bed heat is enabled in the unmodified Robo OctoPi Profile (see photo below) and shows up in the OctoPi Start Code as: M140 S60

The Robo display confirms it is set to 60 deg C.

I don't know what would happen if the bed heat were to be also set up in Simplify3D - My guess is it would have no effect because the Simplify3D start code is not being used (unless you add some code back in).

OctoPi Bed Heater.jpg

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I believe sliced G-Code is executed after the startup code used in OctoPrint. So if you leave the G-Code script in S3D it will still run even if you set the temperature in OctoPrint Settings >> G-Code Scripts. The slicer produced G-Code is not ignored.

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Agreed, it is just not needed. When we fronted all of the printers with OctoPrint we removed the startup GCode blocks from Simplicy3D. All of them now have that customized on the instance of OctoPi that is fronting that machine. If Simplify3D sets a temperature (after the startup) it will be honored.

Ed Ferguson likes this.
  11. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

This.

Pretty much all that would happen though is the code would get to the printer telling it to set the bed heat to whatever and it would keep trucking along because the Octoprint starting code already heated the bed.

12. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Actually that is a really nice print. I did one at 0.05mm a few months back, but never worked on the settings to improve it. Ran it in PETG and the bridging was not pretty.