1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

counterweight for r1 series

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Sean Carson, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

Open up marlin in the arduino software. Go to the Configuration_adv.h tab. Look for #define Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS. Remove the // in front of it to turn it on. assuming your endstops are also split into their own connections, uncomment #define Z_DUAL_ENDSTOPS too. Make sure you set the #define Z2_USE_ENDSTOP _ZMAX to the right connector for the Z2 endstop.

To adjust the offset, send "M666 Z-" then your offset. (x: M666 Z-0.40). Save it to your EEPROM once you get it dialed in with M500.

2. Robert55

Robert55 Member

I've got Marlin open right now. I already had #define Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS and #define Z_DUAL _ENDSTOPS done. I also have the actual endstop connected to Z2 on the board.
    What I'm seeing presently is #define Z2_USE_ENDSTOP _XMAX (I haven't changed that). Should it be #define Z2_USE_ENDSTOP_Z2MAX in this case?? I appreciate all the help. Thanks.

3. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

your board has a plug labeled Z2? I just used Zmax and Zmin, and enabled that max pin somewhere.

Robert55 likes this.
  4. Robert55

Robert55 Member

From what I can see on the RAMPS, you have an endstop connected to a labeled pin, then you skip one to connect the next. I just assumed the one you skipped was #2 (X2,Y2,Z2) so I connected there. It's been working fine. I just didn't know how to go about do the actual adjustment. As I mentioned above, Marlin 1.1 has the endstop as follows:
    #if ENABLED(Z_DUAL_ENDSTOPS)
    #define Z2_USE_ENDSTOP _XMAX_
    #define Z_DUAL_ENDSTOPS_ADJUSTMENT 0 // use M666 command to determine/test this value
    #endif

I'm now assuming that should be "#define_Z2_USE_ENDSTOP_Z2MAX". Good guess?? I'm in the middle of a print, so it'll take a little before I can re-flash and try it.

5. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

go ahead and try, then test with M119

Robert55 likes this.
  6. Robert55

Robert55 Member

Won't compile. Now I've got myself confused...LOL. After this print is done, I'm going to re-check what I have loaded in the machine. I get this error:

Arduino: 1.8.2 (Windows Store 1.8.5.0) (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

In file included from sketch\MarlinConfig.h:39:0,

from C:\Users\Robert\Dropbox\5-2017\Robo3D firmware\Marlin_Updated\Marlin_Updated.ino:31:

SanityCheck.h:80: error: #error "Z_DUAL_ENDSTOPS settings are simplified. Just set Z2_USE_ENDSTOP to the endstop you want to repurpose for Z2."

#error "Z_DUAL_ENDSTOPS settings are simplified. Just set Z2_USE_ENDSTOP to the endstop you want to repurpose for Z2."

^

In file included from sketch\MarlinConfig.h:39:0,

from C:\Users\Robert\Dropbox\5-2017\Robo3D firmware\Marlin_Updated\Marlin_Updated.ino:31:

SanityCheck.h:929: error: #error "You must set Z2_USE_ENDSTOP with Z_DUAL_ENDSTOPS."

#error "You must set Z2_USE_ENDSTOP with Z_DUAL_ENDSTOPS."

^

exit status 1
    #error "Z_DUAL_ENDSTOPS settings are simplified. Just set Z2_USE_ENDSTOP to the endstop you want to repurpose for Z2."

This report would have more information with
    "Show verbose output during compilation"
    option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Evidently, I have the endstop wired to ZMAX at the moment, after looking at the RAMPS diagram in the REPRAP Wiki. I'll keep you posted.

7. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I'll look at it when I get home.

8. Robert55

Robert55 Member

Sean Carson

Got it compiled. ZMAX wasn't enabled. Now to flash and try it out.. ;)

9. mktacop

mktacop New Member

Did it work?

I'd like to try this and am reading all I can to see what I need to do. I'm VERY new to all this.