1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify 3D profile for Robo R2

Discussion in 'Software' started by Charles Billette, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Yep - Removed Start Code from Simplify3D. Ran the Robo Fine Tune Offset Wizard again and saved.
    Robo Webcam photo below shows Benchy I pulled from Thingiverse and sliced in Simplify3D.
    All is good in Roboland. - Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

#21 Ed Ferguson, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  2. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Looking good :) Would you mind sharing your thoughts at the end in how it compares to the built-in test benchy?

Can't wait for my R2! :D

3. IBot07

IBot07 New Member

Did you get Simplify3D to connect to the R2 or did you just export the gcode?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Since we use OctoPi on all of our printers now (even the R1 series and the Delta) I have nothing in the startup GCode any more.
    If the machine needs startup GCode I kept it in the OctoPi profile for that printer.

Ed Ferguson and Geof like this.
  5. Ed Ferguson

sgomes likes this.
  6. Ed Ferguson

I save the Simplyfy3D toolpath to my PC folder. Then from the Windows File Manager I drag the GCode file from my folder onto the Octopi browser window. From there I start the print while the Robo R2 sits 20 feet away.

IBot07 and WheresWaldo like this.
  7. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Member

Care to share your R2 FFF profile? Also, why are the default speed settings in the profile the same for the C2/R2 as they are for my R1+? I thought the R2 was supposed to be a lot faster? Are they just being conservative?

8. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

It's in the thread linked 2 posts above

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  9. Talanvor

Talanvor Member

So I just got the file back from Simplify 3d today, attached is the FFF file they generated and will probably be including in the list for the r2 soon - i would recommend taking all the startup g-code out and will respond to them with the same.

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. Talanvor

Talanvor Member

if you guys notice something wrong with it let me know and ill forward it back along the support line they have opened.

11. Ed Ferguson

Thanks Talanvor for notifying Simplify3D to include a Robo R2 profile. I downloaded it and used my copy of Beyond Compare to highlight the differences to the profile I created (based on the Robo C2 profile) last weekend. The only differences are those I outlined in my posting here:
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...-r2-sliced-with-simplify3d.18682/#post-109208

So I expect no issues with either profile.

12. Todd Wessendorf

Todd Wessendorf Active Member

I notice a difference in the <startingGcode> section. Ed's has removed the code, but the one you got from Simply3D has some items in there. I used the one above from Simply3D, and I had the same auto-leveling done twice, and the bed went up and down (bottom to top) twice.

stroke overrides were slightly different as well.

Planing to continue using Ed's, for now, I think.

T

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The Simplify3D provided one likely assumes you are directly connected and printing, however the best way to print is via OctoPrint and it provides its own startup GCode / ending GCode / etc. blocks. I have converted all of mine to using that rather than letting Simplify3D do it. Simplifies the heck out of the S3D profile.

Simon Cousins and supercazzola like this.
  14. Todd Wessendorf

Todd Wessendorf Active Member

Thanks, good to know. I print the same way with OctoPrint.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

I can't even get the S3D to have my PLA stick to the base. I'll start a new thread but wanted to thank those who posted in this one, as it gave me some ideas to check.

16. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

I've had a ton of issues with adhesion as well. I gave up on trying to achieve adhesion through perfect first layer settings and now I just apply some glue stick to the print bed. Works beautifully. I know it's PEI and it's not supposed to need it, but hey, whatever works, right?

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is almost always just the Z offset being incorrect. On the C2/R2 you need to run the Z offset wizard and the Fine Tuning Wizard. Then make sure your startup GCode is correct with S3D.

Kilrah and supercazzola like this.
  18. supercazzola

Thanks. By the way, can the printer control panel pick up the R2 when you have enabled search for network printer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have been using Simplify for a long time, but sadly.. I can't answer that. Since we got the C2 and converted ALL of our other printers to use a Pi/OctoPrint and the same LCD the R2/C2 use... I have not directly printed from a PC to the printer. I upload the sliced file to OctoPrint and let'R Rip.

supercazzola likes this.
  20. supercazzola

Ok. There are some fine tuning steps that S3D seems to want to perform from that “control panel” and I was curious to give them a try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro