1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo's OctoPrint

Discussion in 'Software' started by Todd Wessendorf, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Todd Wessendorf

Todd Wessendorf Active Member

I have the same version of OctoPrint installed on a Raspberry Pi that was running my Robo R1+ (1.3.2), but this version that is Robo3d Branded is quite different.

Specifically, I miss the G-Code Viewer. Any OctoPrint wizards out there no how to maybe get it to show?

I also miss the tabs at the top . . .

G-Code_Viewer.PNG

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Robo has it's own theme loaded in OctoPrint, it might be just an add on, that is how I installed it to play with it on a standard OctoPrint installation. In OctoPrint and go to Settings >> Plugin Manager scroll through the pages and look for Octoprint-robotheme or some similar name and disable it, then reboot your rPi. You will be back at the default OctoPrint web interface.

supercazzola and Kilrah like this.
  4. Todd Wessendorf

Yep, that did it. There is a PlugIn called Custom Control Editor(0.2.7). I disabled it, and got the familiar interface. Nice to know I can switch back and forth as needed to see both.

Also the tabs at the top of the page are there.

Thanks for the pointer.

5. Talanvor

Talanvor Member

anyone figured out how to register the admin users so it is safer and not a fire hazard to leave connected to a network... (unauthorized user upping the temps)

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

You mean secure the rPi or secure Octoprint?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. Talanvor

Talanvor Member

Octoprint, so you can lock down the users that can start/stop prints as well as operation of the controls like extrude and temps. unless I missed it I dont see the user registry anywhere.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

9. Talanvor

Talanvor Member

I already know about that, but I still like access controls set on octopi for the simple matter of the principle of least privilege even on my internal networks. All a bad actor needs in this case to start a fire in your house is a relay or proxy inside your network. It is in my opinion that allowing devices such as this with long running processes, be either isolated, or access controlled at a minimum. Right now I am running it in an isolated manner

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Security on OctoPrint is what it is. You can only secure it so much since OctoPrint was not built with security in mind. There are a ton of internet pages that list how you can secure your rPi, a google search will reveal many to you. You are complaining to the wrong people if your posting here.

Also I am sure you are not aware that RoboOS has functionality included to phone home and reveal certain details about your printer. There is more to privacy than simply restricting access to OctoPrint.

Geof likes this.
  11. pclabtech

pclabtech Active Member

I had been wondering this as well. Robo sent an update to the printer via WiFi through my firewall and router, which means any hack with tools could figure this out and connect to my network through the rPi board into my network. What is there to prevent that?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Robo actually downloaded the update through your router. Not the other way around.
    The RoboOS image on the Pi did that...

Most routers do not guard on access from inside the firewall to the outside
    So to be clear: The OS on the Pi requested the update via the Robo site.

There probably should be a way to disable updates, I know the earlier versions of RoboOS I cloned off did not automagically do updates, but prompted you to start them.

OctoPrint I think can be configured that way too.

#12 mark tomlinson, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

might be a silly question but as I know nothing of the C2 or R2 I will ask.... Does the machine have a USB or SD reader for .stl? If so disconnect from Internet all together and your as secure as can be :D.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

However I also know that newer ones on the C2 will happily download and auto-update if I am not using it or paying attention :)

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

There is also a support module that can relay printer information back to Robo, It is not just about updates.

Ideally, this should be disclosed and there should be a written privacy policy. Probably a good idea to be transparent about exactly what information is collected.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Agreed, but you are not going to expect your router to stop that :)
    There should be a way on the Pi to do that. We can look at the one I cloned off for the LCD module.

edit: I never let those update in case the later revs were somehow C2/R2 specific (the older ones were not) but I guess I need to do that and see if it makes a difference...

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

You could create a firewall rule to prevent the rPi from communicating whatever you want. A lot of routers don't have that kind of granularity, but if it does that might be the easiest way of monitoring or stopping the communication.

18. Talanvor

Talanvor Member

Yeah, i guess the main thing I was mostly asking for is the way to turn off unauthenticated access to the features of roboctopi through the built in mechanism for access control which is configured like such - i may just try and ssh in and secure it or read it off the microsd and fix it... (https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/wiki/Configuring-Access-Control) so the access to the API key is not available and the ability to control the printer is not available without additional work (i.e. making something more difficult to access is the best defense because nothing is completely impenetrable)

19. Todd Wessendorf

User authentication on the installation of OcotPrint in not enabled. I have it on a Pi on my other machine, and it is enabled. You have a username and password each time you start OctoPrint.

There is a way to re-enable user authentication, I just don't know what is it.

20. Talanvor

Talanvor Member

In the link above it shows you how, I just don't know if there would be negative impacts fro. Doing the change I have to go review robo's implementation changes since we are not on stock octopi. It looks like most were done as extensions