1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

My R1 plus needs a new ramps 1.4

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JRD84, Jun 19, 2017.

1. JRD84

JRD84 New Member

Does anyone know where to purchase one that will work with the R1 plus? Mine is not shutting off the extruder temperature and as of right now my robo is a paperweight without it. I was reading about it and it seems that the r1 plus might use a little different one than the r1? Any info would be appreciated.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. JRD84

JRD84 New Member

Of coarse, they are out of stock! Wow I sure wish I would have read up on this companies poor customer service record before giving them my money! So far the cooling fan on the bottom of the case dies after 2 weeks of owning the printer, and you guessed it they were all out of those. Thank goodness Radioshack had one on hand to fix that!. Then the thermister wires fell off at about 4 months so I had to order one of them. and now the ramps is shot! I am thinking it might be time to get a different brand.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Their customer service is actually better than most 3D printer companies in this market :) at this price point. Take that how you will. I have several others I own to compare to... some cost even more and their service is even worse.

Geof likes this.
  5. JRD84

JRD84 New Member

So you are insinuating that most 3d printing companies customer service is lackluster? So far Robo has been an absolute disappointment to me.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I mean exactly that .. with no insinuation. The consumer grade printers are not well supported. I have spent 3x as much and gotten 1/3 the service :)

Makerbot did a pretty decent job on their pricier units, but see where that got them... (and they were pricier -- a lot)

My Delta cost a lot more :) was a lot more trouble and I got exactly squat in terms of support OR service from them.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Keep on top of Robo in terms of pushing for support. They will get it done if you don't let up :)

The RAMPS for the R1+ is probably a logistics issue in that they no longer have them in stock because they don't make them. Still they should have gotten spares.

8. JRD84

JRD84 New Member

It,s a shame. That this has become the norm. I think most of us would agree that customer service is what makes or breakers a lot of decisions when purchasing equipment. I guess my point is I really hoped I was just an anomaly instead of this being the norm.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sadly for this industry at this point in time it is the norm. The home computer industry was this exact same way pre-apple in the late 70's and early 80's :)

(well pre-apple IIc at any rate)

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

My own opinion is that we are treating 3D printers as a consumer object when the only thing that makes it a consumer product is that 3D printer companies say that it is. In the current state of the technology could you even imagine HP or Brother or Epson or Canon or any other mainstream printer manufacturer releasing a 3D printer in the state it is today. Of course they wouldn't and haven't! It is because of the inordinate cost of supporting this tech. All those companies want you to buy a printer and then forget they even exist, simply because they work. They want you to go on your merry way just buying consumables until you need a new printer.

The second issue, that I see, is that we tend to think that 3D printers are, well, PRINTERS. They aren't really, they are small manufacturing machines and should be treated as such. Where current companies fall short is that they believe the same thing too. And anyone in manufacturing knows that support costs for machines are much higher than for office equipment. I don't really think they are or were prepared for that. They drank their own Kool-Aid.

All this, of course, is not acceptable to us as consumers but it is the current state of the industry. Are some companies better than others, yes they are. Are some companies worse, of course there are. It may be a shame, but most companies sell hype rather than reality. This contributes to the expectations of the marketplace, some unrealistic. Should they all do better, you bet. But in the mean time, if you make a decision on what printer you are buying some research needs to be done. For most people here, it is too late, you bought what you bought. But when your neighbors or friends ask about what 3D printer they should buy, don't let them until they check things like the community around the printer they think they want (Facebook is not a community, they are just talking heads), check forums, check long term reviews if they exist. Don't let them come into this with their eyes glazed over.

A long read just to express an opinion.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Holler at me if you run into troubles swapping to a generic board.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I would only say "most" applies if you also include the thousands upon thousands of kickstarter failures. There are a lot of good 3d printer companies out there that give great support, but they are also more expensive with one exception I'm not allowed to talk about on these forums.

Only if you buy directly from the manufacturer. If you buy from a retailer you get slightly better support via the "Exchange the entire machine until you get one that works" method.

I mean, you can even get cheap Anet A8 kits at Walmart.com now. Buy one, open the kit and if there are broken pieces, take it back and swap it until you get one that isn't broken.

Just don't wait over a month to get around to it. Do it within 30 days.

EDIT: I think it's possible to get a Ramps board with a pin layout like what Robo had custom made for the R1+, it's just not worth the effort/time.

Have you submitted a warranty replacement request on the form on the main website? Just because they don't have them for sale doesn't mean they can't get one for warranty purposes.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep, totally true. I wouldn't call that "support" but you certainly get better options for dealing with a broken unit. Now the C2/R2 changes that for Robo since there is very little user serviceable there to begin with and that is by design so they pretty much have to swap a printer for most issues.

Geof likes this.