1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PLA pla plus jamming

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by acbaldwi, Nov 17, 2016.

1. acbaldwi

acbaldwi New Member

Hey guys have a robo3d r1 which has been phenomenal so far.

Got some pla Plus filament and it keeps failing after some time int he print cycle. Basically the filament seems to get stuck and gets a notch in it i can fore it through and it seems ok but of course the print is ruined by the time i see the issue, roll isn't jammed or anything... has happened several times now any thoughts?

http://imgur.com/a/dsifa

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. acbaldwi

acbaldwi New Member

Im running an oiler this happens with or without it. Additionally regular pla prints like magic and never has an issue it seems to happen just to this stuff.....

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Only thing I can suggest is to try hotter temperatures.
    I recently had an issue similar with normal PLA on a printer I thought I had dialed in. I forgot though that I changed to a hardened steel nozzle and it changed the profile significantly.

6. acbaldwi

acbaldwi New Member

i think you've hit the nail on the head there... bad filament... one of my co-workers bought it cause he wanted something stronger than pla :) im having him return this stuff... FYI i had it running at 205, 210, 215, 220, 225, 2309, and 235 still jammed up.... i ran a mic on it and in some places it is bigger that 1.75 (up to 1.99 in some cases)

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

yup, cranks up the heat. I've ran a few rolls of that style ESUN. I didn't like it so much. If I recall I ran it around 230 (I know sounds crazy hot, but its what I found worked on my machine).

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

WOAH! thats way out of spec. I'd get ahold of esun and ask for a refund.

9. Marlin4

Marlin4 New Member

Hello,

I didn't want to start a new thread, so hope it is okay if I kinda necro-bump this one. I am having a very similar problem. I did a print job with a new color (Inland Light Brown). The first job went perfectly, just like the printer has been for months and months of constant use. I started the second print and it stalled shortly after starting. The print job "completed," but the fliament was all jammed in the print head. I pulled it out, pulled the HotEnd, cleared it, ran cleaning filament through it, everything seemed to be fine. Reloaded the brown and it started and then maybe 2 minutes in to the job, stopped laying down filament. I cleaned the print head again. Tried a black roll that I had unloaded prior to the brown job (I store them in sealed ziplock bags with Silica gel packs between uses) and got the exact same result.

So, I thought "Maybe some shredded brown PLA got down there and jammed up the works?" So I thought I would try a) a new Hot End and b) get some of those microdrills and drill out the hot end. Drills: Same result. New Hot end: exact same result.

I am at a loss as to what to do next. This thing pumps out stuff on a regular basis, so I kinda need it working, but I am stuck. I had noticed a fan was making some bearing noises on startup recently, but the fans *seem* to be all working.

Any advice as to what to do/check/change would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The pigments in the brown could be the cause of the clogging. each color is a different formula with different additives, something as simple as seasoning the nozzle may completely eliminate the jamming.

11. Marlin4

Marlin4 New Member

Thank you for the reply, that's fair and something I considered, but it is doing the exact same thing with the black even after I cleaned it. I seasoned the new hot end and no change.

12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Try printing 5°C hotter

13. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

If gradually increasing temperatures doesn't work, then that fan may need replacing if it's the fan that blows through the heatsink.

14. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

I use ESun PLA+ on a stock Robo R1+ at 205 degree extruder and the bed at 55 degrees all the time. The first couple of rolls I got I kept having problems with the filament tangling on the reel and then pulling so hard that the extruder would strip the filament and quit feeding, until I started keeping it taught all the time. Since then I have not had a single issue with several reels. When I was having problems I would have to stand by the printer watching for kinks to develop and I kept loosening up the filament all the time to keep them from occurring when all the time I was adding to the problem.

if you think about it the filament can't come from the manufacturer kinked, they put it on the reel one layer at a time, one on top of the last etc....the way it gets kinked is when it gets slack in the line and loosens up on the reel allowing it to get under other layers of filament, then gets pulled tight so that the layer the filament got under tightens down and grabs the underneath layer. Keeping it taught stops that from happening, at least this has been my experience.

I started using this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1372828 method of holding my reels and it has worked great. I modified the through holes so that they have thread and a nut on the backside and a small section of 1.75 PTFE tubing in them but other than that its the same system. I keep the bin on a shelf behind the printer and choose the filament I want from the 4 or 5 that each bin holds. I have 3 levels of shelves behind the printer, each with a storage container for a total of 12-15 reels of filament. I can upload my STLs if anyone wants.

OutsourcedGuru and Geof like this.
  15. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

I recently got 2 different color rolls of the PLA+ (brown and green), and I have honestly been printing at the exact same temperatures as PLA. It says you need to run about 20c higher (I believe) but I have not needed to.

195c and 50c

mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I don't know about that. Just got a Shaxon roll two days ago fresh from the vacuum-sealed pack and 1) it was very tightly wound, 2) you could clearly see some cross-under, 3) this particular filament likes to stick to itself since it is infused. I just knew that I would waste a part if I tried. I'm guessing that they're hot-loading them and it's causing these problems.

My current method is to take the new spool and an empty. Start the filament on the empty and spool off 1/3rd of the new roll onto the empty one. Then carefully spool things back to the new roll.