1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How do I pause and lower the print bed?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Stera8, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Stera8

Stera8 Member

I am trying to make Devin Montes' fidget twister. Midway through the tube, you need to pause the print to slide on a part.

When I pause the print, how can I lower the bed? I can't seem to find it on the printer and on Octoprint either. When I pause it is about 10mm between the print and the extruder. I need it about 50 mm.

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Why not use the standard Filament Change Gcode in the file to pause the print and move the head while you do whatever?

M600 at whatever layer in the file, the printer pauses and moves thinking you're changing filament, then it resumes the print when you hit Print on the controller.

3. Stera8

Stera8 Member

Maybe I did it differently. I paused the print as if I was doing a filament change thinking it would lower the bed. However, it did not lower the bed. I'm new to all of this...where could I read up on modifying a bunch with Gcode/Octoprint/3D printing?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate all your help.

4. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I think the standard Pause button on the Robo C2's LCD screen backs off the Z and moves the printhead back (remembering where it was before you pressed that).

Should you then want to select the Utility -> Filament Change Wizard and do all that, then return to the Printer screen (clip off any clinging extruded filament) and then select Resume, I've done this and it seems to be well-behaved. You don't technically have to run the wizard if you're inserting, say, an electronic part inside (it just can't be above the current z layer it's printing) and you have to turn off supports in a case like this. In my case, I even removed the entire bed and replaced it again during a pause.

I still don't know how to programmatically adjust the G-CODE for all this, though.

Stera8 likes this.
  5. Stera8

Stera8 Member

I am soooooo sorry everyone for posting this. Why didn't I just remove the REMOVABLE BASE PLATE! ::face palm::

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hey, there is a forest behind them trees :)

It happens to everyone at some point.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

8. OutsourcedGuru

Just make sure you put it back in the same orientation... or modern art could happen.

9. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

On my R2 removing the print bed during a pause does NOT work, it requires a reset that cancels the print.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, this is an issue in the C2 forum so I imagine that is a story for another thread. :)

11. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

My morning thought process was that since they both used very similar software it would likely the same and that a warning was in order... obviously I completely forgot the C2 had no heated bed :confused:

12. OutsourcedGuru

I routinely do a pause, remove bed to get a close-up view of the detail early on, replace, clip the extrusion with a small pair of scissors, resume on the C2. (Just don't pull the extrusion or you won't have any primed for the next layer.)

Things will likely change when I mod this with a heated bed but your comment makes me think that I now need some slack on the lead-in wires for that mod so that I can still do this. Thanks.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Slack or a connector. Since it will be a small bed and heater it will not be high-current. Even if it were Deans connectors or Adnderson Powerpoles will work perfectly.