1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 - It arrived!

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Kilrah, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Seamus

Seamus Member

Wow. Mine wasn't nearly that bad.
    I just had the one cross, but since it didn't show up until the middle of an overnight print, the feeder pulled it nice and tight before it seized up enough to stop extruding altogether.

sad_filament.jpg

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

it was common practice for us to tell new users to junk the sample spool ;) lol. I still stand by that. Its not worth the failed print :D.

3. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Funny, I didn't have any problems with the sample spool that came with the unit. My problem was using a robo spool that won't fit on the built it spool holder. I printed the file supplied by robo to hold the spool but if I don't loosen the fillament on the spool, it will tangle and fail. There has to be something robo can do to solve this issue.

4. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Wow, that's nothing like I've seen so far.

5. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I did not have any problems with these sample spools, but other brands have been horrible and I would not even give those away. Well aside from my Prusa PLA, that was wound as well as ColorFabb.

6. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Mine failed a print last night because of the cross threading in the spool. Pulled it right off the roller again (printed one robo sent files for us to print) and pulled the spool all the way up to the feed sensor block. Printer never stopped running, it just wasted time thinking it was printing but not actually doing anything for several hours during the night. I complained about it on Robo's facebook page. This has happened to me at least 5-6 times. While loosening the filament on the spool to restart the print this afternoon, I noticed a bend in the filament. I fully expect when this hits the feed sensor or the extruder that the filament will break and I'll have to start this print all over again (for the 3rd time). This is just inexcusable for this to happen so often. Filament is wound way too tight and not straight at all and its causing major problems.

7. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I don't think I've had any filament spooling problems since that horrible run with JustPLA filament, and I've used WYZ filament from ebay and Hatchbox from Amazon.

Lately I've been sticking with MakerGeeks even though their customer service has been abysmal. The filament is just too good at the price point to be worth paying nearly double from overseas suppliers that are too proud of their filament (Colorfabb).

jwmueller likes this.
  8. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Love MakerGeeks - I just think they can't yet keep up with the growth. I use their PETG, so I will order more than I need because I know they will be slow in some cases. When they upgraded to the new machines that was a huge slowdown. Been much better lately. I can't remember where I order my ColorFabb from, Stacker I guess it is. Those are my top two for PETG, PLA I don't really use so I don't have an opinion. Had trouble early on with some Amazon type brands, but that was two years ago already.

9. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm pretty much 100% PETG right now until I can find a decent deal on ASA to give that a shot.

10. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I wanted to add Essentium has amazing PLA, made in Texas. I have not yet tried ASA as I want to see more users explain how to actually remove it from a printer. LOL I hear some brands get stuck like nothing else.