1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 connection interrupted

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Pavel, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Pavel

Pavel New Member

Hello.
    I had received my R2 2 days ago and problems began earlier than I even printed something.
    I unpacked printer, loaded filament, calibrated Z offset and tried to make first test print.
    Print bed moved up to the extruder, extruder moved to the front of the printer and straight after that:
    Error Detected
    Connection Interrupted
    I tried to print 5 or 6 times and each time same scenario with errors 'printing' and 'main board not connected'.
    I checked the official troubleshooting docs and made what they advice.

I'm completely new to the 3D printing and would be glad to hear any advice and idea.

P.S. Printer came to me with POGO board pins broken. I have already requested from support a replacement.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Bad connection between the Pi and the printer control board. That is a USB cable...

(well that or a bad control board).

3. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

4. Pavel

Pavel New Member

My bed does not even heating because of broken POGO pin

5. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Then make sure you're not setting the bed to heat above ambient in your print settings until you get that solved. Otherwise it will try to heat, and disconnect for safety when nothing happens.

6. Pavel

Pavel New Member

Thanks for advice. Can you please tell how to configure print settings? I went through all the options and don't see any print settings.

7. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

How are you printing stuff? In Cura print setup select Custom instead of Recommended and you'll see temps in the Material category.

8. colton81

colton81 Active Member

If i remember correctly even if you tell cura to not heat the bed it will still error out when trying to print because its trying to see the connection to the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

That would be if the thermistor connection wasn't there, but it's the power ones that fail.
    Also if it was the thermistor connection he would see nothing else on his screen than "bed disconnected"even when not printing.

10. Pavel

Pavel New Member

Actually I aggree with @colton81. Even when I tried to disable bed heating at all in Cura, printing process ended up with the same error at the very beginning. Then I tried your (@Kilrah) solution with soldering wires to the bed magnets and it helped. I was able to make my first print.

Also I think I have found a solution to bad contacts of gold pins. Somebody on forum told that springs are too weak. So I detached gold pin, took small spring from inside of it and stretched it a bit. After that it had enough strength to push gold connector to the bed.

11. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

It will likely become weak again when it heats too much as the pin parts move.

12. Pavel

Pavel New Member

Maybe... At least it's better than nothing if you don't want to solder.

13. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

You might be able to adjust your printer profile in Cura (if that's what you're slicing with) for the R2 to tell it that it doesn't have a heated bed. The produced GCODE then would make no calls to heat the bed or wait for a heated bed temperature.

You'd probably also need to temporarily tell OctoPrint in the printer profile that it doesn't have a heated bed as well. Then in theory, it would behave a lot like a C2 and just get on with it. And then wait for your pogo pin replacement or whatever.

Kilrah likes this.
  14. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

15. Pavel

Pavel New Member

16. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

The top thermistor pogo pin is supposed to touch the green area. If you don't insert the bed straight it's possible that it touches the red one until things are aligned.
    But if one of the magnetic feet on that side is already in contact at the time that red zone is connected straight to the 24V supply.

17. spanishcop

spanishcop Member

I'm in the same situation as you. I have 2 pins that have a weak spring. When I turn board upside down the 2 pins slide out.
    HOW DO YOU REMOVE THEM??? I can't seem to figure out a way to remove the gold pin to stretch spring out.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

18. Pavel

Pavel New Member

Actually it is pretty straight forward. Unplug POGO board, and just pull pin vertically with two fingers twisting it clockwise and counterclockwise. Nothing special or tricky...

19. spanishcop

spanishcop Member

LOL.... Mine are not coming off!!! I even tried taking them off with needle nose pliers and they are not coming off. Hmmmm

20. spanishcop

spanishcop Member

Finally they came off.... So here is what we have..... A good spring compared to a bad spring. Mine problem was the 2 on the negative side. The other 4 were fine.

[​IMG]

Mike