1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify3D settings for 0.1mm PLA

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by sgomes, Jul 16, 2017.

1. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Hey folks!

I've been getting some decent prints with my R2, but I'm having trouble with the first layer, in that small features (for example, the lettering at the bottom of a benchy) get torn off the bed, particularly at 0.1mm.

I'm wondering if there's something odd with my first layer settings in Simplify 3D:
    • 90% first layer height
    • 100% first layer width
    • 40% first layer speed

I've brought the bed closer a few times with the fine tuning wizard, but it seems the issue is still there.

Any ideas?

2. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

My Simplify 3D first layer settings for my Robo R2 are:

120% first layer height
    120% first layer width
    50% first layer speed

Layer settings: 3 Bottom Solid Layers.

I print PLA at 200 C

When I printed Benchy, the bottom letters were legible but not very deep.

Looking at the preview mode in Simplify 3D, the Benchy text is only 3 layers deep, but you should be able to read it.

Also, FWIW, I print at 0.16mm layer height as a happy medium between resolution and print time.

#2 Ed Ferguson, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    supercazzola likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Remember that as you decrease layer height (and increase resolution) you need to increase the print TIME as well (so slow down the speed).

4. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Thanks, guys! I'll try Ed's settings later today and see how far that gets me :) Maybe slow down things even further if needed.

5. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Thanks, Ed, looks like your settings did the trick! Best first layer I've had so far :)

Will post the benchy's bottom when it's done :)

supercazzola likes this.
  6. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Looking much better :)

The text isn't super clear because of the extra plastic, but all of the small features stuck very nicely to the build plate. The bottom layer is noticeably wider than the rest in the final print, but nothing some more tweaking won't fix.

Attached Files:

7. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

Thanks for this thread. I haven't purchased it yet, but I did inquire with Simplify3D. They told me they have a profile for the R2 that they are testing, and to contact them when I buy it and they will send it to me to test.
    So I have to ask, I'm a newbie: Will Simplify3D do better at the supports than Cura? Is it worth the $$ for someone starting out in their 3D printing adventure?

8. Ed Ferguson

I have a Robo R2 and used Cura (PC version, not the built-in slicer) for the first couple of weeks. Then after reading recommendations, I purchased Simplify 3D.

Cura did an OK job, and you can't beat the price :) However, where I saw the greatest difference is in the automatic supports. I tend to print objects that have holes in vertical surfaces, grooves, and undercuts. My post processing time in Cura to clean out the support material was high. Often needed to use a file to clean up surfaces shared with support material. In contrast, Simplfy 3D support material just flakes off cleanly by hand. And overall, I get better print quality.

Spending $150 for a slicer to get the most out of a $1,500 printer is a no-brainer IMHO. But you should at least spend your first week with Cura so you can appreciate the difference.

Latest project below. Underside of an electronics project box. MakerGeeks silver PLA. Brass heat-set inserts.

electronics box corner.jpg

#8 Ed Ferguson, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    supercazzola and mark tomlinson like this.
  9. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

For me, the big plus of Simplify3D vs other slicers is the ability to customise supports. You can actually go in and add them to the areas the slicer didn't pick up (which will happen for small details with any slicer), or remove them from where they're not needed.

Here's a good intro to those more advanced features (good YouTube channel for 3D printing beginners, too!):

Simplify3D v4 is coming out soon (this month, supposedly), and they've already confirmed existing users will get the upgrade for free. They've been teasing some features on their Twitter: https://twitter.com/Simplify3D

Ed Ferguson and mark tomlinson like this.
  10. Ed Ferguson

I like Simplify3D's technique for saving money on dissolvable filament. Now we'll have to see how Robo's 2nd extruder development progresses.

Simplify3D_Supports.jpg

Kilrah likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There will be a learning curve to get Simplify3D configured correctly too... just throwing that out there :)
    Maybe they (Simplify3D) will have a profile that works

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thats only on their new set up that isn't released yet and I seriously doubt they will have a profile for specific machines. Expecially since the R2 is a single extruder ;)

13. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Wow that support technique is way cool.

I actually just purchased S3D this afternoon after printing a couple of parts with supports these past few days with Cura - Found that you pretty much have to change the vertical separation to 0.2mm if you want to be able to remove them, and there the bottom of the part looks crud. Even on 0.1 when you manage to remove it looks crud, and from the actual bottom part, not the support residue.
    One part today is trashed becasue the support is basically impossible to remove.

So bought S3D, spent 20 mins copying the C2 profile for the R2 and adjusting dimensions/adding a heat controller for the bed, porting my startup Gcode, reprinted the part... and it was perfect, supports removeable just as you'd expect, clean surface, and also better overall look of the entire part. Left the 120 height/150 width/50 speed defaults for first layer.
    Oh and it was also 30% faster at giving me that better result...

So yup, seems I won't need to use that money back guarantee.

On another note I've just validated my filament runout sensor works, stupid spool with tangles and I broke the filament while untangling during the print. Print paused when filament was about 1cm after ithe sensor, you get a page that allows you to either resume straight or go to the filament change wizard. The latter allowed removing the bit that was still in and reinserting a clean feed.
    One little bug with it - I only noticed maybe 15mins after it paused, and it seems it will disable steppers after a while - which means you'll move the print head when pressing the lever to reinsert filament. Thought it would then rehome X/Y when resuming but it didn't. I could salvage the print by re-pausing manually, sending a homing command from Octoprint's terminal, then resuming again.

#13 Kilrah, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    supercazzola and mark tomlinson like this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Welcome to the dark side. ;)

Kilrah likes this.
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That is my favorite part. Even on my Ultimaker and Sigma (Cura specific for each) S3D is faster

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I had models that took 30-40 minutes to slice with Slic3r (this was a couple of year ago, just to be clear, so not current version of slic3r) and they took <1 minute on the version of Simplify I was using... A.Mazing.

Geof likes this.
  17. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Was thinking of print time, slice time is good too, but so is Cura really.
    Anything is better than slic3r for slicing times ;)

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yup, print time is generally faster too and that is really all a function of the toolpaths generated by the slicer.
    They have a LOT of tweaks you can do, but generally the defaults work great out of the box

Geof likes this.
  19. Ed Ferguson

Agree - Glad I purchased Simplify3D.

I see the R2 (or any printer), the slicer and the filament as a system that is only as good as the weakest link. So far I'm very happy with my "system" :)

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.