1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Mini IR probe detected but ignored

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Sean Carson, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I installed a mini IR probe, and with changes to the firmware, I have dual Z steppers, dual Z endstops, and the IR probe connected and working. The firmware shows this should be working properly. I homed machine but it detects the bed using the old end stop method. It completely ignores the IR sensor.

Send: M119
    Recv: Reporting endstop status
    Recv: x_min: open
    Recv: y_min: open
    Recv: z_min: TRIGGERED
    Recv: z2_min: TRIGGERED
    Recv: z_probe: TRIGGERED

Attached is my config. What have I done wrong?

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

moved thread to projects folder.

3. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

The mini iR probe should trigger long before the Z dual endstops do. Actually as long as the mini IR is working the others should never come into the picture. I disconnected my Z endstops when I installed the IR probe.

4. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I tore it down and disconnected the mechanical end stops. I gave up. I really wanted those in there as a failsafe, though.
    Now I'm fighting to get bluetooth working. I figured I might as well do everything since I have it open.

EDIT: Christ, the HC-05 is a really finicky part.

#4 Sean Carson, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Yeah, is the HC-05 the spec'ed part? I thought the HC-06 was better. I think I recall using the HC-06 in a R/C heli because the 05 was finicky as you mention.

6. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

Trying to leave the stock endstops as a backup is something I've been thinking of doing too. Did you wire the endstops so they are opposite what they are stock? At least I think they are opposite the Mini IR (mini IR active low, stock endstops active high).

7. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I try to keep the wiring stock when possible and just invert in firmware.

I think it’s a firmware bug. I doubt it’s something they would think to test for, especially the marlin team. Oddly, repetitier does this too.

8. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

Either one works. The difference is mostly in how it responds to certain AT commands.

I’ve found that if I keep the key line in, it will enter command mode and let me make changes. It I boot with key in and pull it out like the directions say to, it enters command mode but does not retain changes (or even allow many of them). Now I have it named (Wheatley seemed appropriate), the pin is changed, my MacBook can pair with it, but then it goes nuts and nothing works on the robo until I pull the module out. I think I mismatched the baud.

I also changed how I powered my level shifter. Powering it off of the octoprint server was retarded and I can’t figure out why I did that in the first place.

9. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

Update: I gave up on the bluetooth. Screw it.

10. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

My mini IR sensor, I had to flip the firmware direction for it because it works opposite from the mechanical ones.

I'm using Jims sensor I bought from Printed Solid.