1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

White Screen R2?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Redriche, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Redriche

Redriche Member

So after a successful torture cube print today, I tried to print another model and my touch screen was unresponsive. I then followed the online instructions for "resetting the touchscreen" unplug and replug the hdmi, cable, then the ribbon cable then the power cable from both sides, now all I get is a white screen...anyone have any ideas? I already scheduled an appointment with tier 2 but that isn't until the 7th! A whole week. And the hours that tier 2 is available is so limited. Tier 1 won't even try and help since I can't get into the touch screen...anyone have anything I could try in the mean time?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Replacing the pi image,/SD card is an idea if you backed it up..use a new sd cd and reburn the image. However it may be a bad LCD. I assume you checked the cable from the LCD back to the pi? Still in place?

3. Redriche

Redriche Member

I did not back up the image, as I didn't know that I would 'need' too. The LCD was just working fine so I guess it could have went out in that short period of time. The ribbon cable is in place and is what seems to power the the screen. the hdmi cable is in place but is one of those short female/male cords....so I don't have another one of those to try. Since I didn't back up the image on the SD card (wouldn't think I would have to) Is there another way to get the image again? Or is that something I'll have to wait for and talk to tier 2 about?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. Redriche

Redriche Member

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you were able to start a print that way then the Pi is working so it is probably just the LCD died or the wiring harness to it is loose. It is possible there is corruption of the image so go ahead an burn a new one (new SD card) and try it.

Redriche likes this.
  7. Redriche

Redriche Member

Wouldn't hurt right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nope, and you will (someday) want a backup :)

9. Redriche

Redriche Member

Attached Files:

• lcd.jpg
      lcd.jpg
      File size:
      744.6 KB
      Views:
  10. Redriche

Redriche Member

And I wonder how I would get to the LCD screen, looks kinda difficult to get to. I wonder which screws take off the shell...

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

On the R2 I can't be certain, but on the C2 the black bezel around the front pops off and you can then reach under the bottom area and get to the Pi and the LCD screen comes along with the front bezel (that is where it is attached) and you can see the cable run back to the Pi. It is pretty straightforward to remove and reinstall the cable just pay attention to how it is mounted on the pins.

12. Redriche

Redriche Member

I can get to the cables no problem. I'm talking the actual screen. I'm sure they won't have a replacement in stock so I'll end up buying one myself. And will need to figure out how take take the screen out. It won't turn on at all now BTW

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, once you remove the bezel there are only a couple of screws holding the LCD in place and then remove the cable.

I can point you to a US supplier of the LCD or BangGood (if you want to wait a month for delivery). The US supplier casts about $25 and BangGood about $7. I bought my first one from Amazon Prime (to get it quickly) and then added a couple to my next BangGood order :)

14. Redriche

Redriche Member

I wonder if the bezel just pops off like on the C2...

15. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

No, there's at least a bunch of screws. I started trying to dismantle and gave up sice I didn't actually have a very good reason to (initial idea was to replace the 2 3-LED strips) but it looked more complex than what I was ready to spend time on.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is ... unfortunate.
    There are a lot of screws on the C2 case, but I don't recall any on the front bezel. That was just snapped in place.
    Still, if you want to swap the LCD or get a better view of the Pi that is your option.

17. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

The Pi is very accessible on the R2 given how huge the bottom compartment is. But yeah from a quick look it's 11 screws to remove the front bezel and I remember I wasn't sure how to remove it even after they were gone.

18. Redriche

Redriche Member

Here are some pics Mark. BTW with all the help you provide Robo should really just give you an R2.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

mark tomlinson likes this.
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Thanks!

Picture says it all. You have an actual door on the R2 and those hinges have to mount somewhere :) I forgot that the R2 has an actual door.

So yes, you have more screws (more than zero as in my case)

Once the hinges and screws are removed I would expect that frame to come out much like the C2 does.

It looks like from your pictures that the display is indeed hooked up correctly. Maybe just give those connectors a little push to insure that they are seated fully (but looks like they are).

So in that case it is likely just a bum LCD display. They used to be $27 bucks from Amazon, $7 from BangGood :)
    However, these days I noticed that they are now $16 from BangGood (still $27 from Amazon). There must be an increased demand..from somewhere.

I would insist on Robo getting you a new LCD at a minimum. Even if you replace it yourself with one from somewhere else.

One last thing you can try is to re-burn the Pi image onto a new SD card just in case the image is missing something (like the driver for the LCD) but I will be honest -- that is a long shot. Probably just a bum LCD.

Unless someone else has an R2 that they have torn down, you might be the first to document that if you decide to do this...take more pictures.

Redriche and supercazzola like this.
  20. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

Would you mind posting the URL for the Amazon listing?