1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Differential IR height sensor, Attemptin' Clone....ain't sure of success...now stage 10

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by jim3Dbot, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

So, coincidentally, I'm going to Canada (Montreal) this week and could probably bring it over the border then drop it in the mail.

If Jimmy ships to Canada through his ebay listings, that might be easier.

danzca6 and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. Joehsmash

Joehsmash Member

i actually just found one at a store in calgary (https://spool3d.ca/mini-differential-ir-height-sensing-board/) hopefully it will work the same as his, should be here next week

3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I have both the original 1.1 board by David Crocker (DC42) and one by Jimmy. They work the same and the setup is the same. The one on the site you linked to isn't using the pink IRs and that could cause some issue around the white markings on the R1/R1+ build plate. You can get around that if it is an issue. Never heard of the maker of this one or the retailer, but it looks to be a clone of the same David Crocker. As long as the hole configuration is the same, you should be able to use mounts designed for the Robo or create/modify to suit.

I must say though, Matt (@Printed Solid) is always going the extra mile for his customers and it shows with his offer above. That's speaks volumes to me for trusting a company to be there when you need them. I've had nothing but great service from him.

jim3Dbot and mark tomlinson like this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Ditto this!

jim3Dbot likes this.
  5. Joehsmash

Joehsmash Member

i couldnt agree more. and actually now that you say that perhaps i should just cancel the order from spool and have davids sent. its the one that you guys are all using, and as you guys say it works flawlessly. can some one link me the proper one from jimmy?

6. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Just checked forum, Hello @Joehsmash I am able to build eleven or twelve units tomorrow. If you need one, I can list one in my ebay store. I removed the listing when Matt began selling my units. The pink LEDs are as scarce as hens teeth in the US...........I was able to locate about 80 pieces..........Let me know what you think & thanks Danz, Mark & Matt for your comments & help...........Take Care....Jimmy

Mike Glass and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. Joehsmash

Joehsmash Member

YES, i will take one for sure, pm me the info and ill buy it now

8. Joehsmash

Joehsmash Member

jim3Dbot and danzca6 like this.
  9. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

As I commented on thingiverse already, clever design. This is a great mount for those with the stock single cooling fan setup. Mine is off the side with a protective cover like yours, but I like the adjustability to fine tune the positioning you put into this one. I didn't want to give up my dual cooling fans. Well done and thanks for sharing. I'm sure others who want to try the IR will appreciate having this mount available. I know I will never go back to the stock probing method.

Mike Glass and jim3Dbot like this.
  10. Gordon Freeman

that all the changes needed to the firmware
    what about wiring

11. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

HO Gordon,

Wiring of the mini is the easy part, at least on the R1, others own the R2, you may ask them......
    see post #25.....pic57.......it depicts the cable end with the signal nomenclature.

Pretty much unplug the Z- 3pin connector from the ramps board, located under the robo.
    Let cable dangle for now............just in case you need to re-install.
    Route new cable from Mini IR, extruder end to ramp card Z- 3 pin header, where you unplugged the Z limit switches....Done

Make certain that the White Wire is orientated correctly to the 'S' Pin....

Hey, Happy Printing..................Jimmy

#371 jim3Dbot, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  12. Gordon Freeman

so what are all the changes to the firmware?

13. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Hi Gordon,

I'm assuming since you joined the forum in 2015 that you own a R1.
    If an IR sensor is in your future, check-out pages 3 & 4 for code pointers. That's a great place to start..........It would make sense, if your interest peaks to skim thru the 19 pages & read what you think is pertinent. Take Care.........

14. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

This thing is awesome, the only issue I sometimes have is.. sometimes PETG leaves a booger and my sensor hits it.. Luckily my mount isn't super tight and so the whole thing shifts hasn't caused a failure yet. Other than that its been great. and If I could stop the PETG random booger drops I wouldn't have the issue.

jim3Dbot likes this.
  15. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@KTMDirtFace if you are using S3D then on your PETG profiles increase coasting a fraction or maybe decrease multiplier by a hundredth or two. That should stop the boogers.

jim3Dbot likes this.
  16. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I will give that a shot.

Also Jim, how high should the sensor be from the nozzle tip? mine is maybe 2mm higher than nozzle tip. which means when my nozzle decides to drop a booger it gets hung-up on it. My S3D setting is 0.6 for the startup code offset.

The e3d socks help for boogers too, but my hotend is so bunged up right now that the socks don't really fit anymore.. time for some maintenece.. LOL.. But i'm sorta just waiting for my Prusa MK3 so I can retire the robo to the shop or something.

17. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Happy Holidays KTM.........The critical setup distance is, 2-1/2 to 3mm from the lower edge of the board to the bed, (trigger point). The offset tweak for me has always been set for the best visibly squished first layer..........I know, not too techie.......jealous of that future MK3 bro

18. kevkun5010

kevkun5010 New Member

Is there anywhere else to purchase one since printedsolid is out of stock?

19. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

I'll PM you

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Jim, pm me as well please. 3 R1+ machines that may just need upgraded finally. Going to be running pei sheets