1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite Marlin 1.1.7 Release for Robo R1, R1+PLUS & Variants

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, May 4, 2017.

1. anngeelow81

anngeelow81 Member

thats why i changed to edge also waldo. homing to middle of the bed caused it to scrape the outter edges. and mostly everything i print is large.

2. Joehsmash

Joehsmash Member

I've all but abandoned my printer at this point, 3 weeks of fighting with it to get a repeatable first layer. Still with no luck. Looking for different options at this point.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

start a troubleshooting thread if ya would like. I'm certain if thats the only issue its easily fixed.

edit: may not be easy until we all get on the same page but its fixable :D

4. Joehsmash

Joehsmash Member

got it figured finally. UBL works. just not the auto probe. the beds too flexable. manually do it and problem solved

Attached Files:

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Joehsmash I use literally a piece of notebook paper :D give that a go

6. Doncrush

Doncrush New Member

Ok, I gave up on getting the Full Graphics working, so I have moved to the XXL which is working with the updated Marlin...however, I would like to use MESH. Is that possible? When I loaded it with ABL it would probe the 16 points via the menu. However, when I disabled ABL and enabled MESH I no longer get any bed leveling option on the XXL.

I tried using the MESH Gcode (I think M29 S1) it stepped me thru the 16 points (actually seemed like a lot more). But I wasn't sure how to confirm the MESH exists, and also how to handle Z offset.

Help?

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

G29 S0

will get you the current status of the MESH

G29 S4 to Set Z-Offset, positive away from bed, negative closer to bed (which is backwards from the M565).

#148 mark tomlinson, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  9. Joehsmash

Joehsmash Member

I just went through this exact same problem.

The issue that your going to run into with abl is that there is too much flex in the standard glass robo bed. Which will skew every single point that is measured.

Your best bet is to do a manual 7 point level (it will only be 49 points) and bypass the auto bed levelling.

I can assure you that you will be happier going this route than the abl route

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If you downloaded the files from here the Full Graphics Controller is enabled by default. You must install Google's UG8lib code library or it won't work.

11. Doncrush

Doncrush New Member

Excellent! Just needed to uncomment the LCD_BED_LEVELING line!

And @MChrisP1 pointed out I can change z offset via S3D...

I'm almost there...right rear corner is higher...see pic. Need to just reprobe those points? I did mesh using paper sliding under nozzle while heated bed/cool nozzle...good approach? IMG_0491.JPG

mark tomlinson and MChrisP1 like this.
  12. MChrisP1

MChrisP1 Member

Don - looking good! On that corner with thinning you may need to 'cheat/compensate' for what you see with those results when doing mesh setting in that corner. Looks like that corner of your bed may have more sever warping there.

Or just leave as is and don't print in that corner. IMHO there will always be a spot you have to manage around, yours is in an easy place to work with at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

Can anyone offer any advice on getting my R1+ printing again using 1.1.4?

I started with UBL, went through the leveling instruction for automated probing (I have an IR sensor). That went good and printing the test afterwards it looked pretty good (G26 B55 H202 F1.75 L0.2 N0.4 from http://marlinfw.org/docs/features/unified_bed_leveling.html ). Then I went to print something and it prints in the air, probably 4-5 mm in the air. I changed the Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER (is there another Z offset anywhere?) but could never get it printing on the bed. I never did get it printing correct so...

I then went back to ABL with 16 points. That goes fine but when I then try to print something it again is printing 4-5 mm above the bed. My Z offset (using the LCD to set it) started at -1.06, I ended up getting the z offset to -3.06 but it was still a little above the bed so I changed the Z offset to -3.1 and then it's back to printing 4-5 mm above the bed. I'm really tired of feeling like I'm a cat chasing it's tail.

How are any of you getting this to work. I tried this but ended up at the same point 4-5 mm above the bed. What do I need to do?

#define USER_DESC_1 "Init. Z_Offset Test"
    #define USER_GCODE_1 "G28\nG29 D"

#define USER_DESC_2 "Exec. Z_Offset Test"
    #define USER_GCODE_2 "G28 Z\nG1 Z0"

Steps to refine Z_OFFSET :

1. Do Custom Command “Init. Z_Offset Test” once (Custom Command/ Init. Z_Offset Test)
    2. Do Custom Command “Exec. Z_Offset Test” (Custom Commands/ Exec. Z Offset Test)
    3. Check with a piece of paper
    4. If not good: DoubleClick to reach Babystepping Z_Offset and add/retract a bit.
    5. Do Custom Command “Exec. Z_Offset Test” (Custom Commands/ Exec. Z Offset Test)
    6. Check with a piece of paper
    7. If not good, redo (4-5-6)
    8. If OK and you want to save it, do (Control/Store Settings)
    By the way I set Z offset in S3D to 0, I like it set on the printer only and not in the software. Also when people on here talk about the Z offset being positive now where are you referring to? Everyone speaks of Z offset but I can't find anywhere that you actually set Z offset except in the slicer which I use '0'. The only thing I see in the firmware is Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER and that is what I have been changing when I recompile, otherwise I am changing the Z-Offset in the LCD at Control/Motion/Z Offset...is that the same as Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER?

Oh and if I go back to 1.1 ABL all works fine again....but the filament out doesn't work on 1.1 and that is what I need to test.

#153 Doug Meek, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  14. Joehsmash

Joehsmash Member

Is any one else having trouble with the eeprom not saving the bed level information from UBL after you turn the power off on the printer?

ever time it looses power i have to redo the bed.

i have save it by

G29 S01
    M500

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Joehsmash Are you doing a G29 A before saving the UBL in EEPROM that will save UBL in an active state. I haven't had much time to play with this and there aren't any current releases newer than 1.1.4 so I haven't seen any new UBL related code. When the R2 arrives one of the first things I plan on doing it moving it to Marlin 1.1.4 or newer.
    Code:
    G29 S1
    G29 A
    M500

Joehsmash likes this.
  16. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

Well, to answer my own post.......for anyone trying this, like Roxy3D says, get it printing normally (establish Z offset) in the center of the bed prior to trying any of the UBL stuff. That evidently was my issue.....this time I adjusted the Z offset till I was getting decent prints and then I went through the UBL setup. Working great now. Not sure I have the mesh just right yet but with time I will get there.

Ed Ferguson likes this.
  17. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Good to hear Doug -

Where are you defining your Z Offset? Via the LCD? In your slicer? Via Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER in the firmware?

18. Joehsmash

Joehsmash Member

I honestly couldnt get a good read with auto UBL, the stock glass bed has too much flex. if you do a manual probe (7-9 points) it works way better.

@Ed Ferguson you can do the z offset both ways, how ever i find it more useful to use the terminal ( M851 Zx.xx) but make sure to M500 after

@WheresWaldo I have been doing the G29 S01, G29 A, M500. its been working well, but for some reason the last couple times i had to take the machine apart the G29 T got lost.

19. Joehsmash

Joehsmash Member

Also, i understand that you are able to save more than one Bed profile, how do you load/unload different save points?

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member