1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PEI Print Bed Problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by adikted2astro, Aug 10, 2017.

1. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

This may not actually be much of a problem. I guess I just need some advice. I received my R2 today and set everything up. It printed a perfect test print, but I had a hard time getting the part (and raft) off the print bed. When I use the included putty knife, it scratches the bed surface pretty bad. Is this a problem? If so, is there any way to avoid this?

Also, you know how the extruder does a single line pass along one side of the print bed before it starts printing the part? I could not get some of the plastic it laid down on that line, even when I used an x-acto knife.

Patrick

p.s. I am just using the included spool of PLA for these prints right now.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That line is done by the startup GCode in OctoPrint and is really just a way to prime the nozzle. It does not use Z offset or any of the leveling logic, it just goes to a specific height and X/Y coordinate to lay down a priming bead.

Geof likes this.
  3. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Your Z offset is likely a bit low.

Geof likes this.
  4. schadegg

schadegg New Member

I am using this from Amazon...works great and doesn't damage bed.

Ehdis 1.5-Inch High Visibility Mini Razor Plastic Double Edged Blade Scraper with 10-Piece Plastic Razor Blades

5. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Yea - That putty knife from Robo is a bed killer.

6. Hanover

Hanover Member

Don't use the putty knife or any other tool with a sharp/pointy metal end. :) I just replaced my PEI and the process wasn't very fun. Use a plastic scraper (see above) for low profile prints, or just pull them up by hand. They should come right up.

7. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

Wish I had the warning about the SCRAPER included. My bed properly scratched while using as instructed.

8. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

Yeah I'm still waiting on plastic scraper blades. My current PEI sheet is trashed though.

9. Hanover

Hanover Member

Replacing the PEI is a big pain too. It does not come off easily (even freezing it) and you cannot find the same kind of tinted black PEI they are using. They need to look at how Prusa is doing their removable bed.

10. Day Vid

Day Vid New Member

I scratched up my bed pretty good not knowing any better. I found that the adhesion on my bed didn't work very well anyway. I ended up sanding mine with 800 grit to get the scratches out and working toward 2,000 grit. Now I use it with glue sticks and it works much better and my parts have a matte finish on the side that makes contact with the bed.

11. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I just used 320 grit and called it good.

12. RSC

RSC New Member

I just got my R2 as well. I replaces a long-in-the-tooth MakerBot Replicator Dual. But I'm also the proud owner of a Form1+ and Form2 printer. And I have had a lot of trouble getting some prints off the Form printer's build plate. For some reason my printer pretty much welds the prints to the plate and the supplied tool just breaks chips off. I needed to get under the edge of the print with something sharp, and it needed to be able to reach across the 8" Form2 build plate. I settled on something called an "Insulation Knife" which is a long thin blade. But I also tried a few other alternate tools on the FormLabs printers before settling on the Insulation Knife. One of those alternates is working great to get prints off the R2 build plate without scuffing or scarring. A 2" wood chisel from Stanley Tools. Lay the flat back of the tool to the build plate with the sharp edge up against the base of the print and give the chisel a little tap and the print comes right off... [​IMG]

13. Hanover

Hanover Member

I sanded mine as well and it seems to be working okay.

I think Im just going to get some 8x8 buildtak and use that next time it's time to replace the PEI sheet. The process of removing the adhesive from the PEI is a pain. I really want one of the new beds that now come with the R2 (check Amazon's listings).

14. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Hanover I want the new bed also. This one I can't get over 80° C without the temp failure and I have fixed the firmware power stupidity and don't currently have a pogo pin issue. It is just a bad design.

I put in a Tech Support request for the new bed since this one just won't heat enough for some filaments.

15. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

And I absolutely don't want the new bed, which is likely going to be a problem with them having been replaced and not being produced anymore when mine wears off. Guess I'll have to buy a couple of used ones from people who replaced just in case.

16. Hanover

Hanover Member

You'd think the early adopters would have first dibs on any upgrades. Instead, I get to look at Amazon's web site and see where they are selling updated models only a few months after I bought the darn printer. Prusa gave me $100 off an upgrade kit (which includes the removable bed) in compensation for announcing the MK3 a month after I bought the MK2. All I get from Robo is "I'm don't think those will be in stock any time soon..."

This will definitely be my last Robo...or at least I'll give them two years lead time before I buy the current model. :)

Geof likes this.
  17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Send them an email or give them a phone call stating that paragraph :D

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

@Jerry RoBo 3D

I trust Robo will take care of you, getting their attention can be difficult :)
    The layers have gotten a bit "thick"

Geof likes this.
  19. Hanover

Hanover Member

I've sent them an email already. *crickets*

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Calling is the best approach if you need assistance ... soon-ish.
    Email responses are a mixed bag really.

Geof likes this.