1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Bed Can't Get Above 90Deg Before Error

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JeffreyB, Jun 23, 2017.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

They have a logistics problem... parts are dead that need replacement and (clearly) they do not have replacement parts "in hand"

We can commiserate :) We can't solve it for you though... Only Robo can do that.

This is a problem that they need to get ahead of and I have mentioned it to @Jerry RoBo 3D so I know they are aware of it and working on a solution. I am not sure how long that might take.

You have options here, just none that will solve this for you in a time frame that helps this customer (and by association YOU). Return the printer and replace it with another brand or with another R2 (and hope the pins are workable on the new one) or wait until they push out a permanent fix.

I don't have one to play with so I have not had an opportunity to come up with home-brew solutions or workarounds. Maybe if someone else has they can chime in.

This is just a product manufacturing problem that cropped up with the R2 (C2 had to bed heater) and manufacturing problems can be a beast to sort out in a timely fashion.

(just setting expectations)

2. Kris Holland

Kris Holland New Member

Well, my expectations were higher than one might have otherwise expected from a kickstarter, because this wasn't their first kick at the can. Fixes come in many forms. As soon as it was obvious that this was a problem every unit could have, I would say it's on them to quickly get replacement parts in hand. Yes, I can certainly get another printer, but it's up for debate if I can get one quickly enough to matter, and get it functioning well enough to put out salable parts.

I do have another printer here, that I got at the same time, but it's in need of a basic rebuild. I bought the R2 looking for something approaching an "out of the box" experience.

It's irritating. No reason that these off the shelf machines shouldn't have an out of the box experience commensurate with the first Dimension printer I used in 2005. Those were klunky and archaic at best... ridiculous price tag or not.

Kris.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Kris Holland if you need something printed PM me and we can work it out so you don't lose your client.
    Thanks
    Geof

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Kris Holland

Kris Holland New Member

I appreciate the offer. Not sure that it will help in this case, but I'll discuss in PM.

Kris.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I hear you, but (and this is my hard spot with the R2/C2 'marketing') there are zero printers anywhere near this price point that are 100% of the time going to work out of the box, plug-and-play.

That said, when it works ... the R2 and C2 are pretty darn close. Which is why they seriously need to get ahead of this issue... soon.

Kilrah likes this.
  6. Seamus

Seamus Member

1- Did you send them the photo that you posted, which clearly shows physically failed pins?

2- when my pins died in the middle of a critical job, in the time before the new board arrived, I was able to shim up the connector board with a couple of small washers, to utilize what was left of spring travel to finish the job. That eventually also failed, but I was at least able to finish the print job.

7. Kris Holland

Kris Holland New Member

Well, they failed today. When I talked to Tier 1, they had me schedule a skype. I don't know where to send the pic to get more response than that.

I've tried a couple things to get the pins to make a connection, and thus far failed. As it is, there simply isn't any travel, they're flat down.

8. Kris Holland

Kris Holland New Member

That's why I did a bunch of tests, and it seemed to be going just fine. I figured I'd make it past a 1/4 spool before it died. :(

9. Seamus

Seamus Member

When I contacted them for mine, I did it via email from the website, and sent the photo as an attachment. Maybe you could try that, and reference your appointment number (or ticket number, or however they track these things - I assume that they gave you some way to reference your case/claim).

If they're absolutely flat, then you might be stuck. It looked like there might have still been a bit of travel left in the photo...

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Hey, you did NOTHING wrong. This is a defective part (maybe a bit of a design in need of change too).

Geof likes this.
  11. Kris Holland

Kris Holland New Member

Oh, don't get me wrong. I know that I did nothing wrong. :) What I meant by that was that I figured if it printed a few parts well, without any issues, I was good to go to assume that it would live at least past a spool or two, and so I wouldn't be sticking my neck out by doing work with it. Frustrating bit is that the bed never exceeded 80C, and I didn't take it out while it was powered.

Geof likes this.
  12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the pogo pin design is just flat defective. Unfortunantly these gen1/Kickstarter are going to have these issues. I'm of the opinion that until there is a revision to the set up that part is always suspect and it's not if it fails, but when.
    If I had a R2 I could mod up a fix and test unfortunantly I do not. I'd request 2 pogo assemblies using the numerous documented examples of the failures as the reason and the why being if the machine won't run production it will have to be returned and another brand sourced unless there are parts in house to keep your company's machine running. Downtime is unacceptable on known issues for a machine under warranty.

My two cents on the situation and I don't think unreasonable :)

Disclaimer : to be transparent I am a user who volunteers to help moderate the forum. None of us are Robo employees and have no connection with the company so my opinion is mine, not Robo's. :)

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  13. Kris Holland

Kris Holland New Member

I'm still within my 30 day return, so that's an option. That said, I picked the printer for a reason; at its price point, it does a pretty good job. The pre-print sequence is way too slow (man, take a nap for that z-travel!), but otherwise it meets my needs. I've got a TEVO delta that is likely going to be a nightmare for production.

If I can get this off the ground, then I'll probably get a few higher-end machines, but one has to start somewhere.

Geof likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

On the C2 I manually leveled it and turned off the autoleveling to save that time.
    Is it as easy on the R2? No, bigger bed, but something to think about :)

Geof likes this.
  15. Kris Holland

Kris Holland New Member

Yeah, I've seen mention of that, which is probably on the list of to-dos. However, you still have to home it occasionally, so ...

16. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

I've posted my solution to the bed issues earlier in this thread, which is still perfectly reliable. Along with the firmware change to allow full power to the bed that also improves on the heating performance.

I also have autolevel disabled, I'm actually more precise without and it saves about 3 minutes.

17. Kris Holland

Kris Holland New Member

Yeah, I've seen that. I just do not want to have to rewire something that's pretty much new out of box, and possibly void the warranty. I already have a printer that's a project. :)

I fully expect to disable autolevel as I get the swing of things. For now, I just want it printing...

Kris.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Contact Robo -- I doubt that given the situation there will be any voiding of warranty :)
    If you want to attempt it just to get it working.

19. Kris Holland

Kris Holland New Member

That's fair. I'll bring it up when I talk to Tier 2.

20. Sparda

Sparda New Member

I wanted to tag in this post, that I am having a similar issue " heating failed, system stopped! heater_ID bed" I am printing from the usb drive one of the included models with the printer. I printed with PLA and set it to PLA. After several attempts i am confused as to why the extruder is being set to 230 and the bed to 90, even tho i selected the PLA setting which is 190 / 60. After several attempts i finally got it to start printing but while watching from web browser it appears that the hot end has dropped to 180c.. and the bed is now still at 90c.