1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Has anyone ever used trnio 3D scanning software?

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Caleb Cangelosi, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Caleb Cangelosi

I have an opportunity to do some 3D scanning for an individual this week, but I don't own a 3D scanner and so I've been looking around at iphone/ipad apps or software solutions. I've come across trnio.com, but I'm a little confused. It exports as a PLY file, which I'm assuming Meshmixer or some other program can convert into an STL file for printing? Has anyone ever used this software before? Do you think it would produce an STL file that would print nicely? Or does anyone know of another way I can do scanning without buying a hardware device? If I have to buy a device, has anyone used the Occipital Structure Sensor, with itseez3d app?

2. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Any 3D scan regardless of the source usually requires extensive cleanup work before anything can be done with it.

3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

To add to this, 3d scanning will be horrible and stupid with anything sub-$10k hardware-wise. All of the hackaday projects about it are proof of concept things that are ugly as hell and all of the sub-$1k products like those goofy add-ons for iphones/android phones are gimmicks that aren't worth the money.

Don't take the job, you're looking at nothing but heartache and I guarantee you won't be getting paid enough for the hassle.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I'm speaking from experience where the company I work for trialed several different solutions to aid in the information-gathering stages of projects we work on vs. tedious traditional measuring/sketching practices and the results were all inferior to the traditional methods on everything this side of 5-digit price tag products.

For obvious reasons, the company I work for decided not to invest in multiple devices for our technicians (especially with how easily they can be broken and the absolute hell that our inspection kits go through when going through airport security).

I can't see a hobbyist doing much better with the "affordable" options out there.

#3 daniel871, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Caleb Cangelosi I'm not experienced in scanning software. The ones I did use were frankly not good enough for my needs at the time (hardware/software wasn't up to speed yet). visit https://printedsolid.com/products/einscan-s-desktop-3d-scanner and check out the einscan system he has. Its a bit pricey but still affordable. Reach out to him through his website to see if he would recommend something like that to fit your need. He is also a member here @Printed Solid . I do not recommend just buying it, talk with him about what your doing and see if he thinks it will work for you. At least he has hands one experience with it and can enlighten you to its pros and cons

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This.

CAD from scratch. Always faster and better results.

You do have 3D modeling software and know how to use it? Because scanning doesn't remove that :)

Geof likes this.
  6. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Some libraries have 3D scanners and their staff will even run it for you (given the expense of the equipment).

7. Caleb Cangelosi

Thanks for the warnings! This is actually going to be more of a charity scan, not a job. But from what you say, it may turn into a job, or something that doesn't look very good in the end. I appreciate your heads up.

8. Caleb Cangelosi

Thanks, Geof. I'll give him a call.

Geof likes this.
  9. smith59

smith59 New Member

#9 smith59, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  10. Oldyone

Oldyone New Member

I would not scare people with high prices for high-precision scanners :) Depending on the task that you are performing, or on the budget that you have, it is quite possible to find a scanner at a four-digit price, not to mention the second-hand options. For example, Artec or Nextengine or even cheaper. And you are right about the security measures at airports, sometimes it is quite difficult to explain what exactly you are trying to bring with you in your luggage...

11. OutsourcedGuru

Well, what do you think? Not a bad scan, if I do say so myself.

Scan.gif

12. OutsourcedGuru