1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

anyone update to the new software today?

Discussion in 'Software' started by supercazzola, Aug 16, 2017.

1. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

just curious

2. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

From Nick @ Robo: We updated the filament tube clips, firmware and the R2 spool holder file in your library.

3. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Member

Well, there's nothing on their changelog page except the changes from July. I updated myR2 and none of the version numbers have changed that I can tell.

Jeff

4. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Member

Well after not having any false "out of filament" errors, after upgrading tonight, I'm getting them constantly now...

5. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Did they at least fix the bed heating issues that folks were having when trying to print ABS?

6. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

There's no changelog, but the higher heater power is one thing they committed to the firmware repo recently, so one can hope it's in...

I'm not updating until a changelog is posted and I confirm it's worth it since that requires me to reapply my customisations.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, still not software people :) Don't hold your breath for one.

Geof likes this.
  8. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Well it was there and on time for the last 2 updates...

9. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

They don't seem too good with hardware either, considering all the issues folks have been having...

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

We are seeing a lot of packaging and shipping problem, if you get a working printer (mechanically sound) it is usually a fine machine.
    I don't think I am qualified to be a dugout umpire on the WHYs for that happening :)

Certainly some of it is shippers not being careful others are (to my mind) more of a QA issue. Things that were likely poorly assembled and just not caught.

Some of that is forgivable in the rush they went through for initial R2 deliveries, but it must get better.

Ed Ferguson likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I do know that in my case the packaging looked fine, but the machine had been subjected to enough force that one of the pressed in rod mounts was popped out of the steel frame. That is a significant force... Repairing it was not terribly hard, but I should not have needed to do that.

12. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Biggest issues I had upon delivery in early June were a scratched door and a loose filament drive gear. Yeah - Robo needs to fix the packaging situation. They pack a lot of mass inside the cabinet - seems like they need to increase the size of the packaging and move the loose items to an adjoining box.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  13. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

It's an OK machine, not sure I'd call it fine. I was one of the lucky ones too, and didn't really have anything broken; just a scratched door and a loose gear, which I quickly set into place after some help in these forums. But those aren't the only issues.
    • I get ringing (along the X and Y axes, not Z) unless I bring the perimeter speeds down to 10mm/s or so, but then I start getting layer inconsistencies, at least at 0.1mm layer height. I might still be able to find a sweet spot for print quality, but it shouldn't be necessary to slow things down so much.
    • The bed is slightly concave, with the edges slightly raised above the centre, enough for the extruder to start clicking near the edges. Auto bed levelling doesn't seem to compensate for this (i.e., there doesn't seem to be any sort of mesh bed levelling happening).
    • The cooling is insufficient, with Robo supposedly preparing a new fan shroud to improve things. I've seen this myself with curled edges on benchy roofs when testing.
    • The power supply is really noisy and inefficient, as per other threads on this forum.
    • The printer is prone to heat creep and clogs with some plastics (e.g. ColorFabb PLA/PHA), as tested by me and verified by ColorFabb (they have an R2), unless the bed heating is disabled and the door left open.
    • The cheap Chinese fan cooling the hotend started making annoying whining noises after just a few weeks of printing.
    • The PEI on the bed doesn't stick well at all, at least in my case (improper sanding?), even when I'm just a step or two away from the extruder clicking from the nozzle being too close to the bed. I might sand it down later, but I've decided to just use glue stick for now.
    So if you print slow with pure PLA or other rigid plastics, you get some good results most of the time, if you can control the pillowing and edge curling, and are able to ignore all the noise. But the more I use this printer, the more tempted I am to keep it for functional prints only, and get myself something else for prints which are meant to look good.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Something mechanical is still off, that should not be happening. You should not need to slow it down that much.

15. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

16. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Looking at your Benchy, the ringing I get appears to be about the same. See this post for my results.

The calibration cube I used (this model) demonstrates the ringing quite well. Left is printed at 50mm/s base speed, with an 80% underspeed on the perimeters (so, 40mm/s for the perimeters), right at 20% underspeed (10mm/s):

IMG_20170817_203254464.jpg

mark tomlinson likes this.
  17. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@sgomes, I am pretty sure it isn't the speed as much as it is the acceleration numbers.

M201 sets maximum acceleration
    M204 sets default acceleration

If both of these are too high it will cause that ringing. Try lowering the maximum X/Y to about 500 or even lower.
    Code:
    M201 X500 Y500

Ed Ferguson likes this.
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I run mine at 300... the numbers they choose for defaults are ... silly. You can experiment to find your best ones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ed Ferguson likes this.
  19. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

I'll definitely give this a try, thanks! Does this produce the same effect as changing the acceleration values in the EEPROM?

20. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Yes, you can change them here and then test, if you find values you like then you can make them permanent in two ways;

1. Modify firmware source, recompile and flash the Arduino​
    or
    2. Put it in the start up script so every print sets it​
    or
    3. Issue a M500 command to set these values in EEPROM, please note that EEPROM values overwrite firmware values in memory at boot up.​

mark tomlinson likes this.