1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify 3d

Discussion in 'Software' started by John Rygg, Dec 6, 2013.

1. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Brims for supports is also a much needed add-on that you had to kludge around by brimming the entire object until supports were on top of the primary brim.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont know that I believe these people are having issues other than their own :D Its hard to imagine the majority of users are doing just fine with S3D but a select group of people are not (not saying impossible, just very difficult to believe :D )

3. daniel871

Multi-Process Vase mode looks like fun, too.

Or doing "traditional" printing for the base of something then moving to Vase mode once clear of the base, and going Solid again further up (assuming good Bridging settings).

Like, a fancy lampshade/cover.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I had not even noted that one and you are correct. Avoids needing a raft in some cases.

Geof likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can get some crazy stuff going with multiprocess printing and it appears the new version has just raised the bar on the 'crazy' :)

6. Jay312

Jay312 Member

Is there a way to put the Robo R1+ Printer photo in S3D Instead of just having the build plate area? Not that it's really needed lol I just seem some printers have it so I was curious.

7. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

so that the build plate in S3D looks like the robo R1 build plate? Yes there is. It's an STL file that goes with your S3D profile for the Robo. You can get the stl here - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1331509

Or are you looking for the whole printer? That might be a bit much

m8e1Oal.jpg

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. daniel871

Something like that would block your view of the object, so I'm pretty sure build plate only is all they want.

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@daniel871 Cura does this but when displayed the STL of the build plate is transparent. Actually Cura uses .OBJ files for this but it is the same as far as display is concerned. Not sure how S3D does this.

10. Jay312

Jay312 Member

Thats the one I have Currently, I was just seeing if there was others. When I helped my buddy setup his gmax 1.5+ on the gmax site it actually had the whole printer

11. daniel871

Geof likes this.
  12. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Has anyone found a use for the new Internal/External Infill Angle Offsets? I just watched this video

and he is using 0 Degree and 90 Degree along with 45 Degree Angles. I have always just used 45 and -45. But it seems like a pretty cool feature for changing the look of the top layers.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sadly I have had too little play time with it yet. I *might* have gotten two prints with it :) (small ones)

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I want my top layer smooth, standard infill does fine :D

15. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Random extrusion multiplier question. Simplify3d defaults all new profiles to 0.9 extrusion multiplier. I calibrated my extruder step value in firmware. should I set this to 1.0? I feel like im getting underextrusion between layer lines ( the lines don't touch and look like a mesh rather than solid ).. The base layer looks fine but solid layers on top kinda look like a screen/mesh. Its not that noticeable but its bugging me.

16. daniel871

All you can do is try it and see how it works.

Geof likes this.
  17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not a big fan of how S3D sets coast and extrusion multipliers for EVERY printer. I just revert them back to my old settings and dont seem to have much issues. V4 caused me alot of tweaking for supports and the such but its back on track now (I think lol)

18. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I changed the extrusion multiplier to 1.0 instead of 0.9 and set the extrusion width to "auto" ( not sure what that does need to look it up )

But, now my layers after the first one look correct and are solid lines are touching now.

Maybe the stock robo3d overextrudes? so simplify3d defaults to 0.9? no idea. but it seems to be good now. I calibrated the esteps in firmware with toms guide a long time ago when i put the titan on. Been printing with it forever at 0.9 and never really cared but this looks better now.

Geof likes this.
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The External Fill Customization feature in 4.0 is rather cool.

20. Avrution

Avrution Member

Surprised there hasn't been any activity in this thread for a while.

I was wondering if the profile provided by @Geof would still be valid for the latest release (His was made with 3.1.0)? I have been using the stock profile for the R1+ that Simplify3D itself provides with a few tweaks of my own, but never really thought about how well it might really be optimized for these machines and would like to compare what I've ended up with to someone else's tweaks.