1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unclogging Documentation?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Hanover, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Hanover

Hanover Member

Right now I have a clogged extruder and have no idea how to take the extruder apart to unclog it. Where is the documentation that shows me how to do this extremely basic thing? I'm totally unfamiliar with the extruder for the R2 and I'm afraid to take anything apart without some guidance.

Right now the extruder is clogged all the way up to the hole underneath the gears. I have no idea how to unclog this. It happened right in the middle of a print.

You'd think if you went to this link: http://docs.robo3d.com/en/latest/R2/Troubleshooting/index.html#hotend-clogged

I would actually tell you how to solve this problem. No, instead it's telling me how to keep it from clogging in the future. Not much help there. It's frustrating.

#1 Hanover, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Some here: http://docs.robo3d.com/en/latest/
    (which you already referenced)

Other than that ... contact Robo :)

There is not a lot of people who have disassembled the extruder yet. It is the same extruder for the C2 and I did a disassembly thread for one of those in the C2 area if you want to look at those pictures.

Essentially the best approach is to remove the hotend and clean it out (sometimes that requires a bit more disassembly of the hotend itself, sometimes not).

3. Hanover

Hanover Member

Well, you saw the result on the Facebook post. :) The wires going into the thermistor ended up getting pulled out. They were barely being held on by a chunk of putty.

Will the C2 hot end fit the R2? They're in stock on the Robo 3D web site.

OutsourcedGuru likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Same hotend really :) The only difference is the heater core (the part with the red wires) those are 19v on the C2 and 24v on the R2 so ... reuse your original one :)

5. Hanover

Hanover Member

Great idea! I'll wait to see what Robo says and order the C2 hot end if they can't send me an R2 version

I'm glad I still have a working R1+!

6. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

:D Oh nice...! That's totally new on the store.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also you can totally buy generic 24v heater cores if you are willing to attached a new connector. 19v ... not so much.

8. Hanover

Hanover Member

I plan on doing that when I get my new R2. I'll make sure to have a spare hot-end, even if it means cobbling it together from a C2 hot end and parts from Amazon.com.