1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

RoboLCD

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JeffreyB, Aug 25, 2017.

1. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Member

OK, I'm totally tired of waiting months on new straight rods, even when the fricken CEO or whatever Braydon is promises them to me (several emails back and forth). I'm taking my RPi and LCD, gutting them out of the RoboR2 and hooking them to my CR-10 which prints 100 times better and was 1/4 of the cost. I know it all works, including Octoprint because I ran a USB cable out of the R2 over to the CR-10. I had to change the printer profile settings in Octoprint including inverting the Y and Z. All works as expected EXCEPT the RoboLCD. I need to invert the Y & Z in that code as well. Anyone ever looked at the code? I scanned through it but didn't see where to change to invert the axis. Pretty sad that my $1300 printer has been relegated to being a parts supply for my CR-10. I'm pretty much fed up with Robo3d at this point. I plan to make a video and post to every forum I know the fact that I'm gutting my new $1300 printer due to zero as in non existent support from the company so others won't make the mistake I did... Any help with locating the code changes is very much appreciated!

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not very good at those types of things (the lcd and what not) but hopefully some other members that are more familiar with them can. @mark tomlinson did a thread to hook the lcd to the Robo R1 series so that would likely work much better for you. Should be in the mods and upgrades section of the robo R1 section.

Dont want to sound like a jerk...but can I have whatever parts of the R2 you dont want ? :D

Park A. likes this.
  3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

It should be a firmware setting in Configuration.h. Robo homes differently than a lot of printers I have seen.

Geof likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  5. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

I am in no way disagreeing with you, but my experience with Robo has been 180 degrees different than yours.

I am still waiting for parts, so don’t get me wrong - I hate waiting too - but the respect the company has shown me as a consumer is one that makes me feel like they are honestly trying their best to get the stuff from China and make my printer whole.

Can you just RMA your entire R2, and let them ship you a new one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Geof likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Don't presume. :)
    I bought my first one from them on their original Kickstarter (2013) and to say that support/assistance was absent is a huge understatement.
    I spent 4 months before getting a workable printer.

However I now have another R1 series and a C2 (along with some other brand printers that were more expensive BUT JUST AS LACKING in support) as my original Robo... They have gotten better than they were and are better than some of the other names out there. Problem free? Nope. .

#6 mark tomlinson, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  7. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Member

I need to modify the RoboLCD plugin not the Marlin on my CR-10. I'm hooking the LCD and Pi up to the CR-10 so the RoboLCD code would need the changes not the Configuration.h code for the CR-10.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

9. Hanover

Hanover Member

I just canceled my order for a second R1+ and decided to go with a CR-10 as well. The 3D Printing Nerd gave it a huge recommendation.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd be careful putting to much stock into a youtubers opinion :D. (any youtuber).

FWIW: I have a CR10...its ok. Nothing amazing IMO. the size is the only real bang for the buck. It runs fine, just very cheap components.

disclaimer: My other large format machines are very expensive with high grade componenets so may be a unfair comparison from my point of view.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So a lot like the R1 series :)
    Nothing wrong with that approach.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Not at all. Just a bit (way) overhyped by all these youtube people. Would hate to see someone annoyed by a very slow heating heatbed, slow printing, cheapo fans that are ready to burn up at any moment :D ya know the usual we are all use to from sub 1k machines.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. Hanover

Hanover Member

Joel Telling is hyping it. I thought he was highly regarded. This would just be for a 3rd printer to do large prop-type stuff and maybe a vase or two (I'll invent some other reasons to justify my hardware addiction later).

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Almost all of them are motivated by money. Tom Sanladerer is one of the few I even bother to listen too.

Bemster likes this.
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Keep in mind these are all opinions we have established on our own. Not fact or deflamation towards anyone. The CR10 is fine for that kind of stuff, just keep in mind the cheap components so there will be some tinkering and some parts replacements.

Example- mine is under 6 months old and I've replaced all the fans in the unit...all of them...belts come loose frequently and need adjusted (could be the amount I use each machine) nothing was "tight" out of the box...just normal complaints regarding cheap machines.

We just want you to be aware and informed ;)

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Joel is not about giving objective reviews. It is more about putting a positive spin on nearly everything that comes through his door. That is what generates views and increases subscriber counts. That is how you make money on YouTube. Even with multiple issues on some of the printers he has reviewed, his tendency is to let the manufacturer either cherry pick the printer for him or let them fix stuff so the review becomes favorable. Plus his presentation get's old if you watch him regularly, it is basically a beginner-centric channel

Angus from MakersMuse and Tom Sanladerer are a bit more objective in their reviews.

Bemster, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Disclaimer: I run my machines much harder than anyone else I know- YMMV. I think the CR10 has around 3200ish hours on it I've kept track of...I'm sure there are other prints I didn't keep track of in there. A typical month each machine gets around 400 hours on it minimum so quite possibly you wont experience any of the issues I have. Its still technically not in production because of the component failures- cant have a 250 hour client print fail half way through due to cheap stuff :D

Side not for the CR10- its honestly PLA only without a better heater. It struggles hard to get to 70 and I dont think I've been patient enough to try for higher.

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  18. Hanover

Hanover Member

I listened to his entire 3.5 hour video at work today and he was fairly impressed too. :)

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

impressed with what now?

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If he means the C10 ... someone is easily impressed :)