1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Planning: Precision Ground Rods

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by SPyKER, Feb 21, 2013.

1. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

I'm planning on upgrading to precision ground rods to lower any possible tolerance variables. I'm hoping to be able to get the specs prior to the arrival of my kit. Hopefully one of the team can reply with the specs, otherwise I'll have to wait and measure once the kit arrives, then likely tear it back down to replace them after ordering them. (We all know it will still get built with the existing parts immediately if necessary!) :)

2. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey SPyKER someone will be sure to get back to you on the team. You can always PM them on the forums and ask.

3. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

It would be a great science experiment if you used the factory RoBo rods for a month or two then switched to precision ground ones. Then you could measure the results and everyone would know if it is an investment worth making.

4. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

Justin, it would only be a good experiment if I left everything lone for a few months, which just isn't going to happen. How about you leave yours completely "out of the box" and I work to make mine better, and two months in we both print a torture test? ;)

2 people like this.
  5. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Whats the price on the rods?

6. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

I can't figure that out until I know the dimensions and the quantity. On the ORCA, Prusa, and Mendel, a set of six 8mm rods runs between $28-$32 US.

7. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

From the comments on January 31, 2013 from Robo 3D Creator:
    The rods shown in the Update on January 28th appear to be two threaded rods, and four steel rods, but I'm still not quite sure.

8. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

My only immediate plans to upgrade the printer will be to install my viki LCD and to put a piece of garolite on the print bed so I can print with nylon. Since neither of these make modifications to the printer's mechanics i'll be more than happy to compare prints to see how the rods effect print quality.

If it makes a noticeable difference then I'll probably replace mine too.

2 people like this.
  9. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

I'm just posting here to keep on top of this thread. FWIW, I'd just send the team $50 and if they'd send it with the precision ground rods.

2 people like this.
  10. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

But then I also have to upgrade to a VIKI and use the same thickness and size garolite to print with nylon for out tests. See what I mean? We would need to verify against a stock printer versus a modified. Perhaps once we get new pictures of a torture test from the creators, we can all show our own prints after our modifications to compare.

Also, I'd like to see a torture test on a newly assembled printer, and then one from the same printer after about 200 hours of printing.

11. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Out of the (approximately) 1000 backers getting RoBo 3D printers I'm sure there will be plenty of folks that leave their printer stock... We can use them as a baseline. All we need to do is start a thread with nothing but "tourture test" prints where folks can post pics and settings of their prints.... And maybe even give out preferred settings for the users to print with to make the comparison a little more scientific....

I am very interested in seeing how certain mods/upgrades affect print quality. That way folks know if spending extra on upgrading parts is worth it. I think we have a unique opportunity here with everyone receiving an open-source printer made in bulk by the same people to see what parts upgrades are worth the investment.

12. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

Filament has a big impact on print quality too tho, not just the printer settings. To get a real baseline you would need folks printing with the same filament...

13. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Good point Matt....

14. Aaron bycroft

Aaron bycroft New Member

i can do a test first print and i will change filament out and use that filament at the 200 hour print if anyone wants to see it

15. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

After reading the new RepRap Magazine article on Z-wobble.... I'm thinking RoBo might have this Z-Wobble issue... precision ground rods will be a good idea and I'm actually thinking duel Precision ground rods on each side to help resist the threaded rods tendency to cause wobble. We will have to see how she prints right out of the box first though. I would have to tweak the design a bit to put a second rod on each side but depending on how she prints with factory parts it might be worth it.

16. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

I don't know if you will need two, if you downsize the threaded rod so you use a thinner size the thicker rod should be strong enough to stop the z wobble.

2 people like this.
  17. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I asked the Team about z-wobble and this is their reply:
    "We have not had many problems at all with Z wobble so I would hold off on the precision ground rods. Our layers have been lining up just fine. We have added support for the Z axis smooth rod to help stability and are using aluminum couplers for the threded rod (which cost a bit more than printed! but are way better) so try it out first once you get it and then decide but I would not upgrade at the moment."

18. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

I'm not worried about short term issues with the stock rods. Am I wrong to be more worried about long term increased wear due to the less precise rods?