1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Connection / Pogo Pin Problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Brandon Groves, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Brandon Groves

Brandon Groves New Member

My R2 heated bed has the Pogo Pins problem and is loosing connection like some others on here. I've attached some pictures to show it, the spring out of one of them actually looks burn't.

20170715_175701.jpg
    20170715_181806.jpg
    I've emailed support, and still waiting on a reply.

To disable the heated bed and continue printing:

Go into your Settings on the web interface, then Printer Profiles, click the edit icon.
    Click on the Print Bed and Build Volume Tab, and uncheck heated bed. Click Confirm Button
    then click Save Button on the next screen. Its pretty straight forward, but I've attached some images to make it easier to understand.

settings.PNG Printer Profile.PNG Edit Profile.PNG

2. Seamus

Seamus Member

That's pretty much what I figured was going on in there - they're pushing way too much current down a partially-compressed pogo-pin. Without solid contact between the moving contact and stationary body, the spring becomes the only channel for all that power. Current generates heat, the springs lose temper, and stop springing back fully, eventually causing loss of contact.

When mine failed, they got a new pogo-pin adapter board out to me right away, but I was in the middle of a somewhat critical job. my pins had a little bit of spring left in them, so I shimmed up the adapter board to get the pins back into contact using their remaining travel. this lasted through the end of the batch of prints, plus another day or so, until it finally failed completely the day the replacement arrived. It was neither an ideal, nor a permanent solution, but it was "good enough" to get it back on its feet for another day or so.

Brandon Groves and Geof like this.
  3. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

The R2 bed heater measures 4 ohms. With a 24 volt supply, the total heater current draw is 6 amps, or 3 amps per pin. I would hope Robo uses quality pogo pins rated at 10 amps (in case one pin fails to make a good connection).

Or maybe some enterprising user will have some quality, high current boards made and sell them.

pogo pin.jpg

Brandon Groves likes this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That would be great! Dont have a R2 so I cant help with that but hopefully one day one of us moderators will OR they will just install better boards going forward (after all these reported issues) and issue replacements to the 1st gens.

5. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

My wire loom pins on the pogo board has the pins itself that will not fully insert into the plastic clip of the loom. Right now out of the box it will not go past 76C. Pins look ok at this stage, on the fourth test print now.

6. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

Looks like the left two pins on mine are burnt out as well. Does anyone know what the turn around time on getting a replacement board through the part order form is?

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Only Robo can advise the status of their spare parts, I'd suggest calling them. State that you are down and in need of a replacement sent.

8. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

Can anyone tell me a part number on replacement pins? If this is going to be an ongoing issue I would like to be able to replace the pins myself.

9. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

For reference, here is mine also.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

10. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

Same here .

Turned it on after a weekend away and two pins stuck just as I am ready to print a model for a Client meeting tomorrow

Why for **** (goodness) sake have they not sent replacement boards out to EVERYONE who has the original ones (check by serial number) that are BOUND TO FAIL.
    Lets have a bet on how long it is going to take to get a replacement to me in the UK.
    IMG_5057 (1).jpg

Boy am I pissed off with this thing

Geof likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

My guess is that:
    1) They don't have their supply chain fully working for parts stock
    2) I know they are redesigning this (as confirmed by Jerry) and they are probably just wanting to wait until they can provide the redesigned part

Neither of those are excuses, just me imagining that is what is going on :)

12. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

In the meantime, because I am using , or trying to use, PET-G, perhaps I should hire a dragon.....

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Trevor C in the UK reach out to any and all Robo re sellers and ask for an exchange of the unit to get you printing again. I imagine Robo can facilitate that and all re sellers should be able to assist Robo customers. Being down is not an option, you need to get them on the phone to right your wrongs. :D

14. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

My guess would be that the assembler (Foxconn???) owns the supply chain for parts and not Robo. That would complicate stocking up on spare parts to repair units.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

i imported it direct from Robo as far as I know there are no UK stockists at the moment. I brought on the basis that they told me they would support wherever I was.
    In the meantime I have tried the print without a heated bed option. Any ideas as to how I can get it to stick seeing as im back to PLA now I suppose. IMG_5059.jpg

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

yes. Glue stick and adjust your z offset if possible.

17. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

I brought one just the other day. Let's give it a go.
    Is there a number to call robo support on? I was trying to look on the website and print and forum at the same time !!

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

How hot are you trying to print? PLA will do that on me if I am a bit hot.

#18 mark tomlinson, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

https://robo3d.com/contact-us/

20. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

HOT is the problem. My heated bed is knackered (excuse my French) so I have no heat at all.