1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Not your ordinary Jam!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ender, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Ender

Ender Member

I am having a problem with my hot end jamming up.
    Printer: R1+

Back story: I was trying to print this part in ABS but I was having layer separation issues, the abs was warping and causing the print to split. So I decided to increase the nozzle temp from 235 to 245 and print 10 mm/sec slower. Once I made these changes I tried the part again and the hot end jammed up about an hour into the print.

In the process of trying to get it unclogged I broke one of the wires off the hot end. So I ordered a new hot end assembly from robo and tried it again.

The hot end clogged up again about an hour into the print. I got it cleaned out and changed the settings back to what they originally were, I have done tons of jobs with these settings.

However, the hot end is still clogging up. Then during the process of screwing the nozzle back on after a clog, I broke the threads of the nozzle off into the heater block.

Luckily between the two assemblies I had enough parts to having a working hot end. So it tried changing to wood PLA and PETG with the appropriate settings. but nothing has made a difference.

The nozzle is currently clogged with the wood PLA and I have lost all patience with this machine. So I am looking for help from the community!

Things I have tried:
    cleaning the hobbed bolt
    loosening the screw with the springs that push the bearing into the filament
    different types of print settings
    different types of filament
    new hot end assembly

FYI: I have a spare hot end assembly on the way.

I also pulled this out during one of the clogs

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

is the fan that blows on the cold end of your hotend assembly working ?

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

if its a stock R1+ its a very small 20mmx20mmx10mm fan that is relatively noisy.

4. Ender

Ender Member

Yes it is working. Every time I have checked, it was on.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you certain that the material is ABS? You need to ensure that fan is always running and at full power. It sounds like heat creep but could be faulty material/damaged hotend or nozzle.

6. Ender

Ender Member

Yes I am sure it is abs. And I thought the same thing so I lowered the print temp back down to 235 C which I have been using for 9 months. I have also printed with this filament for 20+ hours and is only a couple of weeks old out of a fresh vacuum sealed bag.

Once I get the new hot end assembly in, I am going to only put wood PLA or PETG in it to for sure cross off the filament being the problem.

The clog seems to be located at the junction in the center of the heater block. But I have never taken the assembly apart until I got this first clog and it did the same thing with the new hot end. So it isn't because I assembled it incorrectly.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

you mean where the nozzle meets the throat inside the heaterblock? could just be a jam and you need to remove the nozzle and clean out the hotend (I use a small propane torch and burn out the jams).

I would likely go that route anyway as its possible the nozzle has come a bit a loose.

8. Ender

Ender Member

I have done a complete clean and disassembly of the hot end and soaked all of the parts in acetone. It will still clog.

I have also tried a brand new extruder assembly and had the same problem.

I now have a clog in the nozzle that will not break free. I have soaked it in acetone and heated it up to 275 C and it won't free up.

So I now have a new extruder assembly on the way.

For the most part the problem isn't getting it unclogged. The problem is that it keeps clogging an hour into the print no matter a freshly clean extruder assembly or a brand new one.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

that really does sound like either not hot enough temperature or the cold end fan is not working well enough at all times. Heat creep

10. Ender

Ender Member

The temperature sensor was replaced when I got the new hot end assembly. So the thermosistor should be good. So maybe if the control board has a problem with readying it along with the LCD screen.

Heat creep was one of my first thoughts. That is why I lowered the temperature back from 245 to 235. And I have done countless prints at 235 so why would I just now suffer from heat creep?

Also I have not changed the retraction settings since I got it 9 months ago, so that shouldn't be the problem either.

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The ABS I would be willing blame on heat creep, but the PLA ? Probably just needs seasoning.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

One reason might be the extruder cooling fan is getting weak/slow.

13. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

Do you have a part cooling fan? Is it maybe blowing directly on the tip? You don't want it cooling the nozzle when it's trying to print...

Until you get it resolved I'd refrain from using the wood filament, I'd think it would just exacerbate the problem.

if you have an infrared thermometer you could validate that the hot end is getting to the temperature you are commanding...was the replacement sensor the same type?

14. Ender

Ender Member

I have a part cooking fan that comes standard on the r1+ and have not touched it till I had to start removing the extruder from due to the clog.

I do not have an infrared thermometer and from what I could tell the sensor is exactly the same.

My new extruder with heating wire and temp sensor arrived yesterday and I am refraining from putting it on till I can figure out something different to try.

15. Robert55

Robert55 Member

I've been having similar issues with a different printer with a E3D V6 Volcano clone. It ended up being tolerances. The PTFE tube is not "exactly" the same size as the heatbreak. It either gets squeezed a little smaller, or the hole isn't exactly the same size, or it doesn't mate to the bottom of the hole exactly, leaving a "lip" around the junction. And guess what?? It's all of them, and the effects are additive. So much for a cheap hot end for each nozzle size....lol

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

See in the E3D the PTFE tube does not extend into the heat break, only the cold section.

The SeeMeCNC HE280 we used briefly on our delta worked as you described and it was jam/clog city. We since replaced that with an E3D to clear up those issues,.

Geof likes this.